Nespresso Club

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by johnapril, Dec 5, 2010.

1. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

2. ama

ama Senior member

^ Hookst me up with capsules man!

3. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

but I don't have any real coffees.

4. ama

ama Senior member

Its ok, I like the vacuum sealed and freeze dried Nescafe that Nespresso is doling out. Its actually horrible coffee, but like the millions of others out there, I have drank the Kool-Aid. [​IMG]

5. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

Its ok, I like the vacuum sealed and freeze dried Nescafe that Nespresso is doling out. Its actually horrible coffee, but like the millions of others out there, I have drank the Kool-Aid. [​IMG]
    coffee kool-aid! genius!!!111!!!!

6. kiya

kiya Brand Representative Affiliate Vendor

Have any of you tried the Keurig K-Cups?
    Basically it's Nespresso's only competition but you can get a wider range of coffees and many are organic/freetrade/cagefree.

7. dunga

dunga Senior member

Nespresso is better

8. A Y

A Y Senior member

Keurig is normal coffee (and I think most of their flavors are pretty disgusting), while Nespresso is espresso. They're not directly comparable.

--Andre

9. BankerBoi

BankerBoi Senior member

As a coffee fanatic I had to trythis place. I couldn't believe how overpriced everything was and when I saw them put a pod in a machine I almost laughed. It tasted exactly like what it was. I cannot believe this place is serious. Just go to Gimme Coffee on Mott street and have a real cup.

Also, going the other direction, Sant Ambroeus in the West Village has been reliable.

10. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Third-party vendors for Nespresso capsules are just around the corner. That might make me take the plunge.

11. Beckwith

Beckwith Senior member

The Jursa machines are impressive and allow you to use whatever beans you want. Downside, cost. I currently use the nespresso machines and have for 7+ years, great machines that make a quality espresso.

12. A Y

A Y Senior member

I finally had a Nespresso a few weeks ago (the black capsule), and I don't get it. It's a little better than restaurant and chain espressos, but that's not saying much.

--Andre

13. pstoller

pstoller Senior member

The Jursa machines are impressive and allow you to use whatever beans you want. Downside, cost. I currently use the nespresso machines and have for 7+ years, great machines that make a quality espresso.

I haven't felt like ponying up for a Jura or comparable espresso machine, and my experience with cheaper units has been disappointing. So, I have espresso drinks when I'm out, as a treat.

For regular coffee at home, I have a Capresso CoffeeTEAM TS drip brewer with integrated burr grinder, gold filter, and thermal carafe. It's my second Capresso; the first one gave up the ghost after eight years of daily use. The new model appears to be of higher build quality and materials. I typically use Illy beans because that's what the Mrs. likes. The unit takes a small charcoal filter, but I have an undersink water filtration unit so I eshew the charcoal thingy.

Is it the greatest coffee ever brewed? No. Is it better than most restaurant and coffee bar coffee I've ever had? Without a doubt. One would be hard pressed to find a simpler or easier system by which to get results as consistently good, esp. @ this price. Of course, if you like finagling with soaked paper filters and so forth, have at it; it holds no charm for me.

At the office, I have a TechniVorm MoccaMaster CD-10 with a stand-alone Capresso burr grinder. Very good, but a bit more labor intensive; a MoccaMaster with an integrated burr grinder would be awesome.

14. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I finally had a Nespresso a few weeks ago (the black capsule), and I don't get it. It's a little better than restaurant and chain espressos, but that's not saying much. --Andre
    Its a tradeoff. Is the coffee the greatest thing ever? No. But, its pretty damn good for .60 a shot and there is absolutely no cleanup. That's what sold it for me. Apparently being a good Nespresso customer has its perks - I got a free VIP invite to Polo. Natch.

15. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Third-party vendors for Nespresso capsules are just around the corner. That might make me take the plunge.
    Now that would be interesting. Thanks for the link. Anybody in France try this 3rd party stuff yet?