• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nerves(fighting)

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpeirpont
Where in the world do you guys have opportunities to get into street fights?
Good question. I haven't been in a street fight since the 9th grade. It's not as if they're difficult to avoid. I suspect it has a lot to do with how much time one spends in the company of drunks.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
in sparing it really depends on how I feel it will go with the other guy - I have a pretty high opinion of myself, and I find that if the other guy isn't pretty huge, I stay pretty calm. when he is really significantly bigger than me (and it is easy for me to be facing somebody who is a foot taller than me, I am short) I get all of the symptoms of a adrenalin dump.

in a street situation, I feel all of the symptoms discribed: roaring blood, tunnel vision, heart pounding. usually afterwords I feel nausous, espectially if it difuses and there is noplace for the adrenalin to go.

strangly enough, in the fire fights I've been in, I had a lot less of that feeling than when I was in a fight. and afterwords there is a huge feeling of elation.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpeirpont
Where in the world do you guys have opportunities to get into street fights?

I have a condition that has led to many misunderstandings.

Originally Posted by globetrotter
strangly enough, in the fire fights I've been in, I had a lot less of that feeling than when I was in a fight. and afterwords there is a huge feeling of elation.

Hey, I'm going to be getting firefighter training next year so that I can embed with forest fire fighters for my research. Oh wait.... wrong type of fire...

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyCooN
Maybe they got jumped.

I've had I'd say about a dozen or so "street" fights. Most were random things that came out of nowhere (e.g., someone trying to rob me, bar guy gets stupid, etc).

I can only think of two instances where I was the one who acted first. One with a skinhead how deserved it, and the other some random drug dealer guy who wasn't being cooperative.

For the most part, I try to avoid situations that would escalate. The instances above came from living in a less than ideal area of Los Angeles.

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
in sparing it really depends on how I feel it will go with the other guy - I have a pretty high opinion of myself, and I find that if the other guy isn't pretty huge, I stay pretty calm. when he is really significantly bigger than me (and it is easy for me to be facing somebody who is a foot taller than me, I am short) I get all of the symptoms of a adrenalin dump.

after lots of ring fights, I kinda prefer facing really big guys (not that my nervous system realizes that). Most of the time they've never had to fight, they've relied on their size.

every time I've been really worked, it was by a small wiry fighter who was all muscle and speed. Eg., 120lb thai kickboxers, and my 110lb wrestling coach forced me to reevaluate how I sized people up.

But that was a long time ago. Now I'm a big ol, leather sole wearing wussie with a bad set of injuries.

Eagle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
Good question. I haven't been in a street fight since the 9th grade. It's not as if they're difficult to avoid. I suspect it has a lot to do with how much time one spends in the company of drunks.

+1! The only street fights I've gotten into since that age were a few bar brawls, where I tried to stop something and failed miserably; combat, where folks were shooting at me...and size really didn't matter; and taking folks into custody, who weren't nearly as bright or as bad as they thought they were. Nerves (you can read that as fear, if you wish!) were a big part of the prelude to each event; a sense of duty, honor, necessity(I think this is the big one!) allows us to carry on; and flashbacks (usually in the form of nightmares) serve as continuing reminders of our past foolishness.

Say what you will but, there is nothing glamorous about this bullsh*t! Personally, I would trade it for a long string of uninterrupted, sound sleep.
boxing[1].gif

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
It's truth about the ones you have to fear being 12 year old thai boxers. tough as nails and fast as hell

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bmulford
I've had I'd say about a dozen or so "street" fights. Most were random things that came out of nowhere (e.g., someone trying to rob me, bar guy gets stupid, etc).

I can only think of two instances where I was the one who acted first. One with a skinhead how deserved it, and the other some random drug dealer guy who wasn't being cooperative.

For the most part, I try to avoid situations that would escalate. The instances above came from living in a less than ideal area of Los Angeles.

Wait, so you robbed a drug dealer?
eek.gif

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wrestled in High School. I got very nervous. So much so, that I threw up right after every match, no matter if I won or lost, and whether the match was short or long.

I think I would be better now. I regularly climb things where a screw-up and fall would likely lead to serious injury or death. I'm able to keep my nerves under control. In fact, the more precarious my situation, the easier time I have of staying calm.

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyCooN
Wait, so you robbed a drug dealer?
eek.gif

heh, not quite. I needed info and approached him and his two friends. I didn't even get a word out before all the racial insults started spewing from his mouth. I was dressed in a suit so guess I looked like someone he could abuse. I was in no frame of mind to tolerate it, so he was hit, dead center in the solar plexus, with as hard of a short right cross as I could muster. He was so busy making a fool of himself, he never saw it coming. I dropped all of my weight into it, and for you boxers out there, my hip/shoulder was nearly perpendicular to him when the fist landed. I certainly wouldn't want to be hit like that - especially unprepared. While he laid there, I asked his two friends if they could be of help. In between mocking the guy on the ground, they pointed me in the right direction. As I left, I heard a homeless lady declare... "Dammmmmn, Cracker-Ass, Cracka, look like he going to kill somebody". The nerves hit me the next day when I realized just how dangerous and stupid that course of action was the night prior.

emptym

Reaction score
It's been a while since I've been in either situation. But I do remember being very nervous/afraid for both cases. Deep breathing helped. I don't think I've ever experienced the tunnel vision, though. Rather, I think my awareness gets broader and more diffuse.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads