• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Neopolitan or Continental tailoring for a business suit?

tayyabp

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a charcoal business suit for job interviews and business formal situations.

Would it be out of place to get it in a Neopolitan style with spalla camicia un-padded shoulders and 4'' Neopolitan style lapels, or would a continental style with 3'' or 3.5'' lapels, and lightly padded shoulders be a better idea?

An example of Neopolitan style:
sartoria-ciardi-grey-suit-768x1152.jpg

And an example of continental style:
Suitsupply-zach-front.jpg

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whichever one complements your body type.

I don’t think either are out of place. As long as the fit is right and there aren’t a bunch of bells and whistles you should be fine.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I work in about as conservative an environment as still exists and nobody would notice the difference between a Neapolitan style unstructured jacket and a more structured English garment. If you’re just wearing a matching jacket and trousers that fit decently, you are already well above the bar.

I second @Phileas Fogg ’s advice. Wear what you think looks good on you and—just as important—what makes you feel good.

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could always go for a slightly more elevated version of a very neapolitan suit - i.e. Liverano and such.

There's nothing wrong with full neapolitan, but nowadays, that's a pretty informal suit. Notice how the one Simon's wearing has patch pockets. I would vote flap pockets if it's for business meetings and such.

tayyabp

Reaction score
You could always go for a slightly more elevated version of a very neapolitan suit - i.e. Liverano and such.

There's nothing wrong with full neapolitan, but nowadays, that's a pretty informal suit. Notice how the one Simon's wearing has patch pockets. I would vote flap pockets if it's for business meetings and such.

yeah thanks for the advice. i personally really love the Neopolitan styling and think it works with my broad shoulders quite well. but i think i need a more formal suit for business use with clients and so on.

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah thanks for the advice. i personally really love the Neopolitan styling and think it works with my broad shoulders quite well. but i think i need a more formal suit for business use with clients and so on.
There are definitely versions that are a bit more conservative, yet still quite neapolitan.

Liverano, Isaia (Base S), kiton and Partenopea come to mind. You can opt for some soft structuring and patch pockets while still nailing the rest of the look. Just keep in mind that many trye-neapolutan makers sell suits that are shorter (less business-y, more casual) and with smaller shoulders (you mentioned broad shoulders - like I have).

tayyabp

Reaction score
There are definitely versions that are a bit more conservative, yet still quite neapolitan.

Liverano, Isaia (Base S), kiton and Partenopea come to mind. You can opt for some soft structuring and patch pockets while still nailing the rest of the look. Just keep in mind that many trye-neapolutan makers sell suits that are shorter (less business-y, more casual) and with smaller shoulders (you mentioned broad shoulders - like I have).

yeah I'm looking particularly at Patenopea for the neopolitan style business suit I have in mind, and looking at Pal Zileri Sartoriale for the continental style

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Some guys have very square shoulders, and they look better with an unpadded shoulder. Some guys have very sloped shoulders, and while an unpadded shoulder can look more casual, it sometimes doesn't look right on a business suit.

I personally wouldn't get spalla camicia on a business suit.

That said, most people will just see this as a suit, so you should get what you like. If it were me, I would choose the padding that looks best on you while still maintaining the kind of formal silhouette a business suit requires. I would also go without a spalla camicia because it feels a bit faddish in a business setting.

tayyabp

Reaction score
Some guys have very square shoulders, and they look better with an unpadded shoulder. Some guys have very sloped shoulders, and while an unpadded shoulder can look more casual, it sometimes doesn't look right on a business suit.

I personally wouldn't get spalla camicia on a business suit.

That said, most people will just see this as a suit, so you should get what you like. If it were me, I would choose the padding that looks best on you while still maintaining the kind of formal silhouette a business suit requires. I would also go without a spalla camicia because it feels a bit faddish in a business setting.

yeah thats the impression im getting as well. even though i love spalla camicia...feel it might be a bit informal for a business suit

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah I'm looking particularly at Patenopea for the neopolitan style business suit I have in mind, and looking at Pal Zileri Sartoriale for the continental style
I agree with dieworkwear. SP (& Kiton) are more conservative as far as Neapolitan makers go and their mainline offerings tend to avoid trends & fads like complete unstructuring and heavy shirring.

I'd look at those first.

Charcoal is a good bet. If you wear a 40, there's a great option on the Buy/sells I've been eyeing but don't really have a need for.

tayyabp

Reaction score
I agree with dieworkwear. SP (& Kiton) are more conservative as far as Neapolitan makers go and their mainline offerings tend to avoid trends & fads like complete unstructuring and heavy shirring.

I'd look at those first.

Charcoal is a good bet. If you wear a 40, there's a great option on the Buy/sells I've been eyeing but don't really have a need for.

I'm a 42, but I'll check them out anyways since 40 sometimes fits me

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think your best bet would to be identify a tailor or two whose work you like, and whose work you think would look good on you (rather than weighing broad regional styles). That said, check out some Milanese tailors. I feel like Caraceni and Dembech have a really nice style that's not English, and not Neapolitan. That's where I'd be looking for a business-oriented suit, anyway.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Get a suit that has a padded shoulder and normal sleevehead on one side, and then unpadded shoulder with spalla camicia on the other. Then slyly angle yourself in business meetings depending on how you want to portray yourself.

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And maybe 1.5 breasted

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads