• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Neiman Marcus brand shirt sleeve mystery

heybear

Reaction score
I picked up a Neiman Marcus house brand shirt recently. Ordered it online, to be precise. There's a lot about the shirt that I like, most specifically that it's reasonably well made and a pretty good value when on sale. I have a blazer and jeans kind of job, and I like that the NM shirts have a bit of contemporary styling to them. But I don't understand what's going on with the sleeves. It's a "trim fit" shirt, but for some reason the sleeves are enormous, wider than on anything else I own. It's not just the opening, but the strange lack of tapering. On the one I got, the sleeves billow out from the cuffs like a pirate shirt. The sleeves are totally out of proportion to the otherwise trim body.

I'm just wondering if I somehow got an odd shirt or if this is the way they all are. I was sort of hoping these shirts could fill my inexpensive dress shirt niche, but the tailoring required to fix the sleeves effectively wipes out the savings.

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For whatever reason, NM decided to construct trim-fit shirts with wide sleeves. I had the same issue, but my dilemma was alleviated by tapering the sleeves.

Although the fabric and construction seemed solid initially, my shirt is already falling apart. If you want to venture into another brand, I would recommend Uniqlo. The fabric from Uniqlo doesn't drape as nice due the non-iron composition, but the dress shirt are holding up significantly better than NM dress shirts.

Last edited:

heybear

Reaction score
I'm disappointed to hear they don't hold up, because you're right, it does drape nicely. I had mine tapered, too, and it's a lot better, but it's still kind of blousy around the opening, which couldn't be narrowed. I really wanted the shirt to work. I was hoping mine was a mistake.

I wonder why they thought that was a thing anyone wanted—a slim fit shirt with pillows for sleeves. They could be making three times as many shirts with the fabric they'd save by making the arms more reasonable.

I'll check out Uniqlo. Thanks for the suggestion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads