• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Negotiating a lower price at the Rack or Last Call?

NH_Clark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any of you "professional" shoppers or B&S gurus have luck negotiating a price lower on a clearance item at the Nordstrom Rack or Neiman Last Call? I've got my eye on a very nice pin-stripe HF but the price is a tad too much for what i want to spend.

IF you've had luck or good at that sort of thing.. any advice?

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try and spot a defect, and ask for a discount?

Buy it now, and ask for a price adjustment when there's a new coupon or a price drop?

Suck it up, and acknowledge that you're already saving money and unlike some of us, you found something that you like and fits well in a discount store?

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The rack HATES doing discounts on their stuff on the floor. Their policy I've found is - if it's defective, we wont sell it. PERIOD.

Mr T

Reaction score
A couple of suggestions:

- If the store is at an outlet mall you can sometimes get discount coupons if you sign up for their frequent shopper club at the mall's central office. Might be able to get an additional 10-20%

- If your state has sales tax we are getting very close to back to school season and many states will have a sales tax holiday - not to mention sales

- Ask to speak to a manager. I had success once at Last Call getting them to increase the amount of markdown (those colored dot tags) but I had been watching the item (John Lobb Briefcase) for months and I think the manager knew that if he didn't sell it to me it would be in the store for a long time (or until another SF'r noticed it...)

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr T
A couple of suggestions:

- If the store is at an outlet mall you can sometimes get discount coupons if you sign up for their frequent shopper club at the mall's central office. Might be able to get an additional 10-20%

- If your state has sales tax we are getting very close to back to school season and many states will have a sales tax holiday - not to mention sales

- Ask to speak to a manager. I had success once at Last Call getting them to increase the amount of markdown (those colored dot tags) but I had been watching the item (John Lobb Briefcase) for months and I think the manager knew that if he didn't sell it to me it would be in the store for a long time (or until another SF'r noticed it...)

show the lobb briefcase. is it the chapel style bc?

how much did you get it for?

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
never had any luck at nmlc even with imperfections, nor at the polo outlet

stylesmurf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by andyliu52
never had any luck at nmlc even with imperfections, nor at the polo outlet

I got a discount on a pair of RLBL pants once at the Polo outlet. Forgot how much it was... I think like 10-20% because of a slight imperfection. Guess it depends on the particular outlet (?)

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nordstrom/Nordstrom Rack doesn't give discounts for imperfections etc, company policy.

harburn

Reaction score
Regret to inform you, there is little chance you will be able to negotiate a lower price. If it does not sell, they will discount again over time.

NH_Clark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so, sounds like if I want the suit cheaper (at the Rack) I'm just going to have to keep an eye on it and hope that it 1. doesn't sell, and 2. doesn't get sent back, so at some point it "might" get discounted more.
confused.gif

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
was it the linen ones that were black with stripes? those were selling for like $2-3 at my outlet lol.

Originally Posted by stylesmurf
I got a discount on a pair of RLBL pants once at the Polo outlet. Forgot how much it was... I think like 10-20% because of a slight imperfection. Guess it depends on the particular outlet (?)

dsgNYC

Reaction score
Years ago, a friend of mine used to get her clothing discounted at NMLC by pointing out imperfections and showing them to the manager, but I'm not sure if they have a strict policy now. I tried to get a discount on a peacoat at Century 21 that was missing every single button (on the front of the jacket and the sleeves) and the manager told me they don't discount for missing buttons, and I'd assume this applies to any imperfection. Doesn't hurt to try, though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics