• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Needles SS08

timpoblete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cousin of Engineered Garments, under the same parent company Nepenthes. Made and sold in Japan, but the aesthetic is very similar EG. Currently on the Nepenthes website (03Jan08).

00.jpg

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A couple of pieces they do would be fun to wear on occasion for some real eccentricity, but I mostly do not like this line. It's like they take small American/British fashion trends from the past several decades and mash them all together into one collection, season after season.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the glasses in the case on the second to last pic

timpoblete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In general I'm really diggin the color palette of this brand. There were definitely some pieces from FW07 that I would've loved to have. A little more subdued than EG and less workwear inspired. As robin had said above, I suppose more British inspired. Don't know much about British trends, so if someone doesn't mind elaborating...

Specifically:

Pic 2: I love the butterfly on the tie. It just brightens up the whole outfit.

Pic 3: The floral/paisley shirt is reminiscent of the floral/paisley shirt from EG FW07, but more subdued. I could see myself wearing that (had to pass on the EG version).

Pic 5: The blue round collar shirt (5th pic) with the holes in the collar and under the armpit (that's a hole, not stain right?). Awesome.

Pic 8: The two half zip collared shirts with the shorts. Love the color combos.

Pic 12: The shoes!

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw a lot of Needles stuff at the Nepenthes store in Tokyo. It does seem like a slightly weirder version of EG, but I don't really care for any of it.

As a sidenote, if anybody gets a chance to visit Nepenthes, it's a great store.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I felt the need to dig up this thread. I've been seeing lots more pictures of their stuff lately and I've come around a bit. I still don't know wtf is going on with most of their clothing, but I'm really liking the accessories. Zip Wallets, available in calf and shell cordovan (I wouldn't mind having both)
needles-290-ab.jpg
article_large_wantit.jpg
Neat Pocketsquares/Handkerchiefs
kalamkalimadrasbandana01.jpg
Shell Cordovan Japanese Block Sandals (does this style have a name? I've seen them before in other forms)
sandals.jpg
Loafers
ndls08ss16b.jpg
I also like these coats.
ne4.jpg
6040scjkt01.jpg

Brian SD

Reaction score
The sandals are called clogs.

Holy god, whoever OK'd those pictures for the website needs to get punched. How many times have those jpeg's been compressed? I'd be much more kind about the clothing if I could see it without so many compression artifacts.

The wallets look awesome. I want one.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DanTheLadiesMan
Does anyone know where I can get the red quick release belt in the 5th pic? Thanks.
Find a proxy to pick one up in Japan for you. They have them in other colors as well.
The wallets look awesome. I want one.
I've been looking around for alternatives, but I haven't found anything with a clean design like those yet. (Edit: nevermind, just found some comme des garcon wallets that will do).

Brian SD

Reaction score
Robin, where can you pick up those wallets, and how much do they run? My interest has been piqued.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like alot of Needles, but cant really agree that its similar to EG. Maybe in the cuts, and some jacket styles, but the fabrics (alot of velvet?) and patterns are alot weirder. Id love if someone could elaborate on the influnces.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like alot of Needles, but cant really agree that its similar to EG. Maybe in the cuts, and some jacket styles, but the fabrics (alot of velvet?) and patterns are alot weirder. Id love if someone could elaborate on the influences.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads