• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Need your help figuring out what color trousers to wear with a new jacket

dennisdomino

Reaction score
The sports jacket in question is navy with green pinstipes and green stitching around the button holes and pocket flaps. I didn't really think about what i was going to wear it with at the time I bought it and I am not liking a lot of the things I am putting with it. I thought i would ask for your thoughts. I have a light blue and white shirt that I am thinking I will wear with it.
What are your thoughts?
Many thanks in advance for your help.
DD

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trouser color:
If wool, your best option probably is medium gray or navy blue. In cotton, tan.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would stick with a light tan or cream.

I like the jacket, but it doesn't strike me as a staple.

dennisdomino

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses gents. I actually wore it to work today with cotton cream trousers and have gotten lots of compliments so I guess we all made the right call. You're right that it is not a staple, but a fun twist on a navy blazer. DD

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although I generally dislike odd navy pants (I have two pair, one in crepe and one in cahsmere wool and I dislike them) it might actually work for this jacket. No one is going to think you are passing it off as a suit and the navy solid pants will highlight the green chalk stripe. With a shirt wih an apple green or emerald green plaid patten on a white background (other color backgrounds could work). Id get the pants in a similar weight but perhaps a different finish with brown shoes.

Another choice might be the palest of mint or pistachio linen or gabardine pants. Im talking cream with a hint of a tint of mint...as it were.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 144 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 280 33.2%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 132 15.7%
  • 31 - 40