• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need underwear and socks advice

DavidAyr

Reaction score
I noticed that my wardrobe has been updated with SuitSupply, Rhone, Tecovas things, but I’m lacking in underwear and sock department. I currently wear Underarmour boxer briefs and Stance socks. I like them, but I bet you boys know something I don’t. What sock/underwear brands I should try for comfort and style?

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
I travel a lot for work and Uniqlo's Airism undies have been a godsend, especially when I have to go to hot/humid places, or when I have to be on a long haul flight after hauling ass to the airport. Not sure how stylish they are; they come in interesting prints I suppose, but if it gets to the point where someone is judging your underpants, I'd wager it's the moisture-wicking anti-microbrial properties more than anything else that will see you the rest of the way.

Most of my socks are Nordstrom merino blend OTC (80% wool + 20% nylon), but they only come in a few colors. I splurged on Bresciani OTC once (same wool/poly combo) and while they felt a bit softer and more delicate, and came in lots of colors, they were not really worth it at full retail. If $30 is of no significance to you though, then why not.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I second UniQlo’s Airism line.

As for socks, I’m not that loyal to any one brand.

Megakurth

Reaction score
You may want to give Viccel a try on socks. They’ve been pretty solid and regularly run discounts.

notdos

Reaction score
Tommy John Boxer Briefs
VK Nagrani OTC socks

St1X

Reaction score
Uniqlo's airism underwear is made out of polyester. It's an unbreathable synthetic fabric. How it can be good?!

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uniqlo's airism underwear is made out of polyester. It's an unbreathable synthetic fabric. How it can be good?!

For me, the moisture wicking properties are key. Cotton underwear retain moisture and irritate my skin. I found the same with undershirts a number of years ago and switched my undershirts and underwear to synthetic fabrics.

sensuki

Reaction score
I mostly wear bamboo/viscose, tencel/lyocell and modal underwear now. Have some cotton based ones for winter.

The most recent brand I've been trying is Step One. I like the underwear/they fit nice and look slick but I'm undecided if I like them for hot weather. They have a lycra bike short panel on the inner leg and I find it stays wet if it gets moist there. There's also a synthetic mesh piece at the top back that I'm also not a fan of.

joe_moreland_

Reaction score
I found myself in the same position a few years ago. My dad wore Hanes so naturally his son wore Hanes and I never gave it much thought. I thought all men's underwear were cheap crap and we just had to live with it. I finally got so aggravated with utterly garbage they were that I went on a mission. Read multiple review articles and tried a lot of options. I eventually got to Mac Weldon trunks and I've been wearing them ever since. Absolutely love em. Cotton, modal, and a little bit of spandex but I don't remember the ratios anymore. They don't ride up, they breath well, and they hold up for a long time before eventually needing to be replaced.

CC-1

Reaction score
I found myself in the same position a few years ago. My dad wore Hanes so naturally his son wore Hanes and I never gave it much thought. I thought all men's underwear were cheap crap and we just had to live with it. I finally got so aggravated with utterly garbage they were that I went on a mission. Read multiple review articles and tried a lot of options. I eventually got to Mac Weldon trunks and I've been wearing them ever since. Absolutely love em. Cotton, modal, and a little bit of spandex but I don't remember the ratios anymore. They don't ride up, they breath well, and they hold up for a long time before eventually needing to be replaced.
The Hanes briefs I seek out are vintage 100% cotton and come in numbered sizes, not small, medium and large. They are usually obtainable on ebay for a reasonable price if you wait. The best is the "redline" model which has become rare, then the Signature line and last, the Classics.

As far as socks, Black Socks Classics and Business Light was the best until they screwed around with the shaft length and made crew socks go halfway up the leg. The colors and designs are wonderful, great service and good price. Only buy a three pair trial until you know you like them. Don't buy Darn Tough socks at all. Sizes are totally inconsistent and everything they make is so tight and constricting they leave rubber band-like gouges in your ankles- The Worst. Smartwool might be better. Too bad they don't still make Adler socks

joe_moreland_

Reaction score
The Hanes briefs I seek out are vintage 100% cotton and come in numbered sizes, not small, medium and large. They are usually obtainable on ebay for a reasonable price if you wait. The best is the "redline" model which has become rare, then the Signature line and last, the Classics.

As far as socks, Black Socks Classics and Business Light was the best until they screwed around with the shaft length and made crew socks go halfway up the leg. The colors and designs are wonderful, great service and good price. Only buy a three pair trial until you know you like them. Don't buy Darn Tough socks at all. Sizes are totally inconsistent and everything they make is so tight and constricting they leave rubber band-like gouges in your ankles- The Worst. Smartwool might be better. Too bad they don't still make Adler socks
Just to clarify, the Hanes boxer briefs I wore for years were the inexpensive bulk pack kind that you could get anywhere. Just awful. The vintage line that CC-1 mentioned sound interesting. I also forgot to give feedback on socks. CC-1 also mentioned Smartwool and I can second that. I have a drawer full of a mix of Smartwool wool OTC and wool crew socks. Similar to Mac Weldon's trunks, they hold up very well and last for years and you also get the benefits of a very comfortable wool blend.

gentoo

Reaction score
I too used to suffer with cheap Hanes, Fruit of the Loom, etc., but no more. I find Calvin Klein’s Knit Boxers to be the best of both worlds. Not too much extra fabric that you feel like you’re wearing shorts beneath your pants, and not so tight that you lack for space. They’re a bit pricey (plan about $20 per pair), but good quality/longevity, so it works out.

For socks, I’ve been wearing different brands made from bamboo fiber. Presently wearing IQ SOX (Danish brand) for the day to day. Would recommend giving them a try as they have a lot of advantages over cotton.

jack webb

Reaction score
Zimmerli makes a pair of silk boxer shorts that go for $180 apiece. Load up.

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

try cdlp. I tried them alongside Mack wheldon when I was in the same situation as you were and they blow them out of the water in every regard for me

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads