• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need to upgrade from Ecco's to Dress shoes, where to begin??

chikkymonkey

Reaction score
Hoping to get some help here.. I've been wearing Ecco shoes for about 10 years now.. I started wearing them upon recommendation from a foot doctor, saying it would be good for my feet.

Recently I started a new job where I wear suits most days and a close colleague recommended I get some "dress shoes".. I was always under the impression these were dress shoes, but after joining this forum I'm realizing I didn't know anything about style until now.

I am not sure I will wear dress shoes every day but I would imagine at least 1-2 days a week. I don't know about shoe terminology, but I just can't imagine wearing some of the recommended shoes I've seen here (the pointed toes, the ones with lots of designs holes, dots, pompoms etc.. not sure what they're called)

I am looking for something in black that I can wear with conservative suits (charcoal, navy, black). I can't stand tying shoes so I need loafers. I don't want to buy used/ebay.. I need perhaps a few brand recommendations and even better if you can point out a few styles that are in... I am 30 years old, 6ft 220lbs..

I will be in NY next week perhaps if I knew what I was looking for I could find it there..

so far the only brand I've heard of is Allen-Edmonds, their walden seemed nice (not sure if that type of thing is in style, it's also very similar to my echo's below) a few others I noticed verona, Bruno Magli Milano, Bally Luniz, Bruno Magli Mikko (these few came up in a search on zappos)

Thanks in advance for your help...

dasai

Reaction score
To wear with a suit, the absolutely essential dress shoe you should have before all others is a black cap-toe oxford. Consider the Park Avenue by Allen-Edmonds, if that's within your budget, but basically every quality manufacturer of welted men's shoes will have this style somewhere in their lineup. If you have more leeway in your budget, you might also consider the "907" by Alden, the "Connaught" by Crockett & Jones (or a similar model made by them for Brooks Brothers), the "Consul" by Church's, the "Chelsea" by Edward Green, and the "City II" by John Lobb, among much, much else. After this, you can indulge your taste for other shades and styles.

Last edited:

Gwarg

Reaction score

Recently I started a new job where I wear suits most days... ...I am not sure I will wear dress shoes every day but I would imagine at least 1-2 days a week.
How can you wear suits most days but dress shoes only 1-2 times a week? And loafers shouldn't be worn with suits, you're going to need to get a cap-toe oxford, as already mentioned.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And you'll have to deal with the hate for laces- laced shoes are more formal, you're gonna have to give in. Very few shoes without them are appropriate for suits.

Of course, you could go the monk route- more formal than your standard loafer, depending on styling. A black captoe double/single monk could serve your purposes. But those aren't easy to find, and it would very much be a look at me shoe- not what you want for your first dress shoe.

None of the shoes you selected are considered appropriate for wear with suits. They're loafers. The penny loafer (like the walden) was originally intended as a campus shoe for college students. Casual, quick and easy. They're much more at home with traditional collegiate getups than suits- khakis, sweaters, oxford shirts and the like. These days, jeans. Hell, wool trousers and a sportcoat. But they're too informal for most suits, certainly the ones you'll be wearing. Bit loafers are about the same level of formality.

This in black. Allen Edmonds is a great shoe, but you need a conservative style.

Actually, I presorted their webpage for ya. Pick one of these.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Those are NOT dress shoes...And if you are wearing your new shoes 1-2 times a week. PLEASE don't wear those Eccos 3-4 times a week! PLEASE!!
:brick:

jsmaria

Reaction score
Allan Edmonds is the best price/performance step up. Agree wholeheartedly on cptjeff's link of AE suggestions.

Also remember that you'll want to polish them fairly regularly as well, or it won't matter after a couple of months that you made the investment at all.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
the shoes you currently have are fine by real world standards, but only for casual fridays and weekends. they're loafers, casual by definition. so unless your title starts with a C (eg CEO), I'll assume you're trying to look good. Keep your current shoes, give them a good polish, and reserve them for Fridays and evenings out with the GF/Wife.

in the meantime, go past an AE store in NYC and try on a bunch of shoes to figure out a) your size b) your width c) the last (shape of the sole) and d) blutcher or balmoral (the same size and last can feel totally different).

I suggest a black, captoe, blutcher.

anything from this (what people are recomending)
or these

then add these

and finally become a big boy and get these

rohde88

Reaction score

the shoes you currently have are fine by real world standards, but only for casual fridays and weekends. they're loafers, casual by definition. so unless your title starts with a C (eg CEO), I'll assume you're trying to look good. Keep your current shoes, give them a good polish, and reserve them for Fridays and evenings out with the GF/Wife.

in the meantime, go past an AE store in NYC and try on a bunch of shoes to figure out a) your size b) your width c) the last (shape of the sole) and d) blutcher or balmoral (the same size and last can feel totally different).

You'll probably have to size down and wider on the 5 last, so keep that in mind if you don't try on the PA first!

And if $300 is too much, a seller on here has PA for $250? I'm dying to save some money through him and he has good reviews.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads