• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need-to-see nyc stores???

mrprlover

Reaction score
Hello there all. I have searched the archives for a bit looking for the must-see stores in NYC. I wrote some places down that I'll be hitting up this weekend. Â Honestly...I will mostly be doing more looking (I spent too much in Spain this summer) in hopes of putting what I've read/heard on these forums to practice. (I want to see what all the ranting/raving is about all the labels mentioned.) So far I have Barney's (a must), Century 21, and Bergdork. Maybe Saks. Â I was wondering if anyone in the area could add their 3 cents-worth maybe help me out, and perhaps mention a few (this is new to me) "sample sales" (whatever those are?) in the area. The trip is more of a see-what's-out-there type of thing, maybe in hopes of finding a couple things here and there I really like. No crazy shopping yet. Â =] I would really appreciate it. p.s. oh yeah I wouldnt mind venturing into a couple thrift/consignment shops either.
tounge.gif

VWpete

Reaction score
High end but great:
-Jeffrey (Meatpacking District W. 14 btw-9and10) Dior, Dsquared, Bottega, Neil Barrett, Jil Sander, YSL, Gucci, great shoe section...
-Bagutta Life (on Wooster in SoHo) Dior, Prada, Dolce, new location that's very nice
-Gotta go to Barney's, Bergdorff, and a like Saks in NYC as well

Streetwear- Barney's Coop- W 18th Street between 8 and 9th- Marc by MJ, James Perse, Nice Collective, PS by Paul Smith and a great denim selection of PDC, Seven, Chip & Pepper, Rogan, Diesel, Levi's.
- Camouflage(Broadway and Bleecker)- great streetwear/ casual- Evisu, all the denim above, Buddhist Punk, Punk Royal, etc.

itzamazing

Reaction score
I will try and go beyond the usual Saks, Barneys, stores that anyone could easily find.

Regular shops:

Loftworks on Lafayette St downtown - Similar to a Century 21 without the crowds and a nice people.
Scoop 3rd avenue - Varvatos, Seven....upscale casual.

Consignment/Thrift shops:

1) A Second Chance on the Upper East Side
2) Gentleman's Resale - also on the Upper East Side
3) INA on Mott St (downtown)....(when I was there they said they get plenty of overstock from models, fashion people) Gucci, prada and all in excellent almost new shape.

When will you be in NYC? I attend almost every single sample sale in town (sad, yes) They are not for the faint of heart, no saleshelp, and you have to dig but some of the same stuff that's in Barney's and the like will be there.

This week Bluefly is having its first ever sample sale...there is usually one going on but depends on when you will be here. When you strike at one that is good you can walk away with a steal (Helmut Lang, Prada, Loro Piana, Malo, Hugo Boss, Theory - have all had one in the past few months).

mr. magoo

Reaction score
It depends what you're looking for, I should think and where you'll be. Â There are enough places to really spend an entire week doing nothing but shopping. Â It doesn't sound like you have the time or money. Â What you've already listed could easily be a plate. Â A very brief rundown of Uptown. Â Generally, the big glamor chains are on Fifth Ave. between 48th and 59th (Saks to Bergdorfs) -- Gucci, Prada, etc. with some tourist fluff thrown in. Â 57th between Park and Fifth has a lot of the higher end labels -- Jil Sander, Burberry, Turnbull & Asser, a Brioni, Oxxford, etc. Â Madison between 59th and about 80th has a lot of known upper end boutiques -- Etro, Lobb, Ralph Lauren, YSL, etc. Downtown you have Soho, which has become very upper-end chain oriented (Prada, D&G, etc.) and some outlier neighborhoods with very nice shopping Nolita options (Seize sur Vingt), West Village (Marc Jacobs), Chelsea (Camouflage, Paul Smith, etc.) Â Keep in mind, this is very, very rough. Â If I were you, I'd either pick a handful you really want to see (say, the big dept. stores or the really high end stuff -- Borrelli, Lobb, Hermes, or the fun street stuff). Â Otherwise, you might be overwhelmed. Â Frankly, just try to have a good time and try to make it to some of the great spots in the City. A sample sale is traditionally a sale of the samples that a designer or clothing producer makes. Â A quick reference for that is either Time Out New York or New York Magazine. Â The link to New York Mag's webpage on this is: http://www.nymetro.com/shopping/articles/sb/index.htm Finding a real sample sale can be a great bargain, but a nightmare (crowded, expensive, no service, etc.) Â Unless you see some brand you know and like, it's not worth your limited time. Finally, I'm attaching a thread from modernman.com that responded to a similar request. Â You'll see that this particular thread was focused on high end, but that can be of help. Â The advice in it is very comprehensive. http://www.modernman.com/forums/DCForumID3/2182.html

VWpete

Reaction score
sorry... the store on bleecker and broadway is Atrium, not camouflage which is in Chelsea.

mrprlover

Reaction score
Thanks fellas for all the great info and places.

I'll be staying at the Marriot Grand Marquis...right in the middle of it all. I'll be getting there late night Thursday and leaving sometime Sunday. The sole purpose is basically to look around...but who knows what can happen.

I'd almost take offense mr. magoo in regards to your comment about my finances and the sort...but Im play like I didn't read it. =] However, you know very little of my finances and what I am capable of spending/saving. I did come across as the broke college student that I am, but hey we all need to start somewhere and you guys are the folks I turned to.

Thanks fellas.
I guess I simply wanted to do the most with what *yes you are right* limited time I have...and avoid the running around aimlessly through the streets.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i was in NYC in october 2002, and missed a couple of key places i wanted to see. here's my list of must see stores:

- Bergdorf Goodman, across the street from the Plaza. wow. at least buy a REAL HANDMADE Marinella necktie, which i you can only purchase from this and possibly 2 other locations in the USA.

- Saks fifth Ave, 6th floor mens. the wood paneled walls and vintage 1930s Esquire prints you see when you exit the elevator make it worthwhile. liked seeing large floorspace dedicated to Oxxford, Brioni, Zegna, etc.

- Alan Flusser store. this wasn't open yet, but maybe you could visit and report back to the forum on this one???

- Luigi Borrelli store. didn't make it to this one, mostly because the other stores had a fair amt of this label.

- Turnbull and Asser- didn't find time to see this one, but should have.

well, that's my two cents. we skipped the Palm Court breakfasts in favor of Dean and DeLuca early every morning. wish i would have made res. at the Oak Room for dinner, but really enjoyed Le Cirque instead.

mr. magoo

Reaction score
I'd almost take offense mr. magoo in regards to your comment about my finances and the sort...but Im play like I didn't read it. =]  However, you know very little of my finances and what I am capable of spending/saving.  I did come across as the broke college student that I am, but hey we all need to start somewhere and you guys are the folks I turned to.  
I apologize for not assuming you can go crazy at Vacca.

It might help if you could explain what you're looking for or are into. If you're just generally looking around the City, then have a great time.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally, I'm attaching a thread from modernman.com that responded to a similar request. Â You'll see that this particular thread was focused on high end, but that can be of help. Â The advice in it is very comprehensive. http://www.modernman.com/forums/DCForumID3/2182.html
That's a great thread. Still haven't visited Flusser's store, I hear that the shoes there are Edward Green on specially made lasts just for the store.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Jay Kos, Peter Elliot, Davide Cenci, Robert Talbott, Hickey Freeman, a. testoni, Paul Stuart, also heard there's a new Kiton boutique

Riflessi on 57th for deals and Jodamo Int'l also, and Garage Clothing in Brooklyn...

I can also post contact info for Flusser's store. His partners are really nice guys. Didn't get a chance to speak very long with Mr. Flusser himself.

All in the book, with phone nos and addresses...

mr. magoo

Reaction score
I just came back from Bergdorfs and Barney's (for my own purposes, not to post) and I have to say that if you're looking for top end, Bergdorf's is a must. They've redecorated and revamped and the lines are almost uniformly beautiful. Some guy was complaining about the cost of shirts and a salesman told him to try Barneys or Saks for something less expensive. I'd have to concur.

PeterMetro

Reaction score
Some guy was complaining about the cost of shirts and a salesman told him to try Barneys or Saks for something less expensive.
He should have sent him to Salvation Army. Â This is one of my biggest pet peeves. Â Why would you walk into Bergdorf's and then complain that things are expensive? Â It's like walking into a 99 cent store and complainig that nothing costs more than a dollar. Now, I don't mean to say that everything in there is worth what they charge (I mean, when you're sending people to Barney's for cheaper clothes, your clothes are expensive), nor that there aren't perfectly nice clothes elsewhere. Â But they charge what they charge because people pay that price for them. Â Don't complain, just don't buy it.

luxeshopper

Reaction score
Bergdorf Goodman is THE place to buy in Manhattan. It has earned its reputation for a reason. Price and value are always a factor, but for those who aren't willing to pay more for the highest quality, there are alternatives.

thc

Reaction score
I think the thing I like best about Bergdorfs is that their selection is very well edited and they always pick the best things to sell. Barney's has a lot of junk.

marc39

Reaction score
I apologize for not assuming you can go crazy at Vacca

One would be "crazy" to even step inside the Vacca/Attolini store on Fifth. Buyer beware.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads