Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Need to revise travel wardrobe for trip...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by The_Foxx, Aug 18, 2004.

1. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

Ok, would like to get advice on items I plan to take on a short trip (four days in Amsterdam) in November; travelling strictly carry-on (although it is a LARGE carry on bag that always ends up on the cart by the plane) + Black Chelsea boots. Need to buy a pair for at or under $200; any suggestions? I'll probably order RM Williams, but do I go with rounded toes or chisel shaped? I figure i can wear with jeans, dress trousers, on the plane, etc. http://www.bootsonline.com.au/boots.htm + Black wool and cashmere SB topcoat, to take on the plane, wear with suit, wear with jeans when walking around the city. + Diesel Kratt jeans + Oxxford SB grey wool (small amt of cashmere) flannel suit, I figure will wrinkle very little during trip. + tie for suit + sweater of some kind, that i can wear with jeans or dress pants, and black topcoat?? + white FC shirt for suit (silver Asprey oval cufflinks), white Ben Silver simple white shirt to wear with open collar. + possbly brown cashmere sportcoat with tan windowpanes + twill pleated dress trousers, that match well with sportcoat + black C&J handgrade captoes That's about all I can come up with....other suggestions? I'll likely be in museums, cafes, and one or two dressed-up fine dinners. What else do you suggest I think about taking/ purchasing between now and then?

2. kabert

kabert Senior member

Sounds good, but (i) the topcoat is bound to be bulky; make sure it's what makes the most sense; and (2) it doesn't sound as though you are bringing much in the way of comfort clothes, walking shoes, etc. I assume you'll be doing lots of walking....

3. aarghh

aarghh Senior member

Two things that I don't see in your list

Rubber soled shoes for bad weather - or something equivalent.

An umbrella.

November in Amsterdam can be pretty rainy.

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I would suggest flat front rather than pleated pants - they pair better with chelsea boots, and look better when worn without a jacket, or with the sweater, which I suggest should be a fitted navy zip front mock neck cardigan - goes equally well with the flat front pants or jeans, can be worn alone or over a shirt, and can double as a light jacket if you get an anomalously warm day.

And don't forget underwear.

I generally pack just one suit for the fall, a charcoal flannel slim cut YSL number. The slim flannel suit jacket doubles as a sportsjacket, and can be worn with jeans. The slim, flat front pants work equally well without the accompanying jacket. And the slim cut suit looks good pairs with slim chelsea boots, so I don't need an additional pair of shoes. A couple of shirts (one white, one not), a v-neck sweater (can be paired with a tshirt and the suit for the evening, and a midlength jacket (just long enough to cover the suit jacket, but more casual than a topcoat, is all I'd need. Of course, I travel in jeans and sneakers, and probably a hoodie in November. Contrary to other posters' experiences, I find that I get the most breaks from the airline company's/stewardesses when I look more casually (but not poorly) dressed. Could be my age and demeanor, too.

5. kidkim2

kidkim2 Senior member

I'm confused by the "rubber soled shoes" recommendation--and related allusions here and on Ask Andy. Weren't any of you guys trained by your mothers to wear overshoes ("rubbers")?

They're light-weight, much more water resistant than soles of any type, and removable once you've reached your destination.

What am I missing?

6. kidkim2

kidkim2 Senior member

Foxx--

Do you plan to spend any time in hotel rooms (room service breakfasts, for example)? If so, you'll need something casual to wear indoors--a terry robe and slippers. Or sweatpants, polo shirt, and sneakers.

Exercise attire?

Sleepwear?

Extra pair of contact lenses?

Hat?

7. aarghh

aarghh Senior member

Overshoes would work, but usually they work best when it is a point-to-point foray that you're making - and you know what the weather is going to be like in advance. Rubber-soled dress shoes/boots give you a tad more flexibility, and look, IMHO, a little better in the bargain.

8. friendlyone

friendlyone Well-Known Member

I don't think any shoes look that good when they've been out in the rain. That's why I like overshoes -- they won't look good when you're outside, but when you're inside you can take them off and allow your real shoes to shine.

Of course, I realize I'm in a tiny minority. Many shoe shops don't even carry them any more.

9. mistahlee

mistahlee Senior member

I, too, like the overshoes and have several pair.  But what do you do with them after you get to the meeting or the reception or the restaurant?

10. Alias

Alias Senior member

Very true. My C&J's are wonderful, yes, but I do need some good rubber-soled shoes for those nasty days.

11. LA Guy

Not a fan of overshoes (and this from someone who grew up in the slushiest part of Canada.) They look stupid, and not just a little fussy. My advice is to treat all your shoes with a waterproofer like Snow Wax. Works great, particularly on Goodyear welted shoes and on shoes made of good, solid, leather. As for the man who wears leather soled shoes in inclement (i.e. snowy and slushy weather), he is either going to look ridiculous trying to maintain his balance, or just brek his leg, ankles. hips on a regular basis. You need a lug sole.

12. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Wait, aren't you LA Guy? What this Canada talk? Jon.

13. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

actually it's just a phonetic spelling of

"L, eh"

but i'm not sure what that means.

14. LA Guy

I'm a citizen of the world. Spent early childhood in Boston, then England, grew up in South Eastern Ontario (Canada), lived in the LA for the 6 years, and have been back now (bac) in the NE for a little over a year (Boston). Have lived for spurts (usually summer internships or rather long vacations) in different parts of Europe. I was in LA when I joined the board, and that is where is really began to become really interested in men's fashion - was always interested, but really became involved while I was there. Thus the username.

15. quill

quill Senior member

You are so weird. Â [​IMG]