• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need to replace my wife's Honda Civic

JakeLA

Reaction score
I'm not a car guy. She's not a car guy either. But I want something less boring than a Civic with decent acceleration and she wants something with a hatchback that doesn't make her look like mom dropping off the kids at camp.

She was briefly enamored with the new/old Fiat but the reviews aren't too great.

It basically would be a running-errands-in-the-city car, although the city in question is L.A. so there are highways in the equation.

Last edited:

Arthur PE

Reaction score
my wife has a Mini Clubman and loves it, not fast, but quick enough and handles well
if you want faster they have an S version
very good depreciation also

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm not a car guy. She's not a car guy either. But I want something less boring than a Civic with decent acceleration and she wants something with a hatchback that doesn't make her look like mom dropping off the kids at camp.

:laugh:

Clubman sounds good, or for something smaller the Cooper. If you have the extra scratch, the BMW 1-series is :slayer:

Last edited:

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Honda Fit has the best visibility of any hatchback I've been in, and "zippy" handling for city driving. It also has an impressive safety ratting. My girlfriend had one. We're not into cars either. Also, Honda dealerships really have their **** together.

If I lived in LA, Id get tinted windows. I got to LA every few weeks and I hate the driving there.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i was going to say honda fit, but i figured i said it too much

perfect wifey car

KurtS90

Reaction score
The DSG in my mother's GLI has been nothing but a nightmare since 103,xxx miles... Spent $4,000 to have it rebuilt and still having problems...

~Kurt

Wolfador

Reaction score

Clubman sounds good, or for something smaller the Cooper. If you have the extra scratch, the BMW 1-series is :slayer:

These are what I was going to recommend, any of the Mini's or 1 Series.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like the new CRVs. Honda Fit too, I'm thinking of getting either one of those. also a fan of the toyota matrix. some people might suggest a mazda3 hatchback as its sporty, but as a current mazda owner, i can't suppor them, lots of problems for me.

Last edited:

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Two posts b4 BMW. Why the **** is it always BMW and ******* Audi on this ******* forum?

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On point, maybe look at the Volvo hatchback (C30). Or a Fit. Or a mid-range VW.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Two posts b4 BMW. Why the **** is it always BMW and ******* Audi on this ******* forum?

Ah ah ah... I am not recommending Audi... not after my experience. Audi's make look good, and have nice interiors, but what good is that if the ******* car always has problems?

Also, BMW's full warranty is simply awesome... they cover everything but tires and gas.

Last edited:

Mbogo

Reaction score
If you're not car people, I wouldn't buy some semi-high-end German car. Or any Euro car, for that matter. I've owned an Audi and VW, and have friends who have owned Mercedes and Saab, and the repair costs for anything but the most minor repair were always devastating. VW would be a maybe, and they're kinda cool. Fiat? Stay far, far away until they have proven themselves in this country for a generation. Hopefully they've improved, but they were always synonymous with abysmal reliability and shoddy quality. Get something at a reasonable price that is reliable and cheap to maintain. But no reason that it can't be a little cooler looking than a Civic (which is a car I have great respect for, BTW.)

I've rented the little Mazda, the 3, I think, a few times and really liked it. It's just a little cooler looking than a Civic. It drives really nice. I also like Nissans. They always seem to have great styling, and strong engines. The Maxima is a really cool looking car, IMO. Especially in its price range.

David

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads