• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need to move from Chicago to LA by July 12

Steeze

Reaction score
I need to move from my college apartment to Los Angeles by July 12. I just got a new job and it transpired very quickly. I am looking for a place in Santa Monica for July and August. My bigger concern is moving all of my stuff. Would you guys advise me to rent a Uhaul? How much would this cost? Or should I fly back and forth a bunch of times. I have one free fare with Southwest. I have a decent amount of stuff- TV, bike, golf cloths, lots of cloths etc. But I suppose I could sell it too.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nevermind

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I think I can probably help, as I just moved from San Fran to about 90 minutes SE of Chicago. I looked into the Uhaul thing and found that for the truck rental itself, it would have cost about $1600. Then add gas and hotels if you plan on not driving straight though, which I imagine you won't drive 40 hours straight. That was no bueno for me. So if you have from now until then to do it, what you MIGHt think about doing is renting a cargo van, driving it out there, driving it back, then using your free sotuhwest fare to get back to LA. That could possibly save you a couple hundred bucks. It's a ***** given all the driving and travel time, but it saved me like $250.

That said, anytim eyou make a big move like this, I view it as an opportunity to purge myself of all the **** that I have that I don't really need. Not only makes moving easier in terms of what to rent to move, but makes it easier to settle into your new place.

BP348

Reaction score
You need to find out what your options are. Start calling the rental truck companies and find out how much the truck is going to cost. Once you find out you can make a decision on packing your stuff and moving or just selling everything and starting fresh in LA.

Several people I know have found apartments and places to live on craig's list so you could try that.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since Santa Monica is no longer rent controlled it's going to cost you a lot of $. Expect around $1700-$2000 a month for rent on a 1 BR. You'll also need first, last, and security deposit - that could be $5-$6K. And unless you live really close to work, you're going to have to consider transportation. Venice is just south of SM and will cost you less but it's dumpier. West LA/Brentwood is just east of SM and can be very nice in places. Sell your stuff in Chicago. Just bring clothes. You can rebuy everything else. And get ready for this view:

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Have you looked into PODS?

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're only here for 2 months? Dont bring **** man.

Look, I moved from indiana to south LA and my friend gave me the best suggestion - go as MINIMAL as possible. Really. I packed essentials in my car. UPS'd 3 other boxes of random crap and left the rest at home. I had no need for the twin bed from my youth, or old furniture. I bought new **** from IKEA - which we never had at home.

Save the time, money and energy and get an airmattress, some rubber maid things and basic necessities for the first month, then fill in the blanks. serious.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If this is just a summer job, sell your stuff, or get a storage unit or friends/family to take it. If this is a permanent move after a trial period, figure out your minimum needs and only take those.

Even if your firm isn't providing relocation money, if they have some size, they may have discounts with moving companies that they will let you use. I'm guessing that a full move (where the movers pack EVERYTHING) for you would be @ $2500-$3500 one way, depending on weight (I have too many books). If the DIY options get anywhere close to that amount, have the movers do it. Movers are all hurting for business right now, so rates are competitive. Chicago's union fees only let them get so competitive.

The first time I moved out west, I rented the largest car I could on a one way rental. If it didn't fit, it didn't go. Drove straight and then would stop and sleep in the car when I got tired as it was springtime. 28 hours total, about $300 all in. Probably closer to $600 today.

You will need a car in LA so figure that out as well. I think it was about $1k for a car transporter for me. If you will be buying a car, figure on buying it in LA or over the border in WI, IN or IA so you can avoid those nasty Chicago taxes (10%!)

congrats on your job.

TylerDurden

Reaction score
Having moved across the country several times, pack lite. It gets to be a pain moving so much stuff over and over again.

The cost the rent a UHaul/ship stuff is sometimes more then it would cost to buy the stuff new again...

Send it to the thrift store or craigslist it, and buy what you need when you get to LA.

SirSuturesALot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The best option depends on the amount of stuff you need to move, but I would strongly consider ABF. Get a price quote for a ReloCube.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davidko19
You're only here for 2 months? Dont bring **** man.

Look, I moved from indiana to south LA and my friend gave me the best suggestion - go as MINIMAL as possible. Really. I packed essentials in my car. UPS'd 3 other boxes of random crap and left the rest at home. I had no need for the twin bed from my youth, or old furniture. I bought new **** from IKEA - which we never had at home.

Save the time, money and energy and get an airmattress, some rubber maid things and basic necessities for the first month, then fill in the blanks. serious.

This sounds like a good plan.

kruze

Reaction score
When I moved, I packed my computer and clothes via UPS. Flew with a suitcase of clothes. First stop off the plane, IKEA and went from there.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leave most of your stuff, just buy new stuff when you get to LA. Its a lot easier that way. Unless you have an awesome bike or awesome set of golf clubs.

If you're only going for two months, there are a lot of summer rentals probably from people who usually rent out to college kids for the school year. Either that or if you have some money, then stay in a place like Oakwood apartments that has furnished corporate housing. There's one in Marina Del Rey which is like 3 miles from santa monica.

You absolutely need a car though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads