• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

need to look good for casual friday

dapperdude

Reaction score
I recently started a job where casual Friday means jeans. During the week, dress or sport shirts and slacks are normal, but Friday is super casual. Today, my boss was wearing a black hooded sweatshirt and stonewashed jeans, with some apparently retro sneakers. It's a young team, too. I'm probably one of the oldest at 30.

I have Monday through Thursday covered, but I'm at a loss for what to wear on Fridays. I've worn khakis and a polo, and today one of those ridiculous Gap stiped dress shirts that I got as a gift a couple years ago, and twice people have pointed out that I'm overdressed.

I haven't regularly worn jeans in years, except on the weekends or running errands, usually with a t-shirt.

What would you suggest? I want to be part of the team. Also, I don't want them to think I'm old, but on the other hand I'd like to dress a notch better than the lot of them just to be professional and make a good impression. Also, there are some good looking women around the office, and I don't want to look like a slob.

I'm clueless. The only idea I have is to pair some nice denim with boots. These caught my eye:

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...1&occasion=189

The "AmJack" look (stripy untucked shirt) would fit right in, too, but I'm not sure I want to go that direction.

Any ideas???

Articles of clothing that might apply to other social situations, like going out on dates, going clubbing, etc., would be especially useful, as I would like to upgrade this part of my life, but on the other hand, is it appropriate to wear a party shirt to work? Ah, that's what's so tricky about casual Friday...

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice denim with nice boots would work. If you're in good shape, you could try a 'hip' polo - for example, something by Original Penguin. Also, you could wear a half-zip sweater. There is the option of wearing a tee shirt underneath a v-neck sweater. A casual belt could dress down some of your regular items. If you're wearing pleated or shapeless khakis, that might be part of the problem. Patterned, slim-fit pants could be a part of a "cool semi-casual" look.

phooi

Reaction score
I think you're obsessing a bit over casual Friday. The whole point of it is to not dress like you're going to work. There are potentially tons of combinations. The one you mentioned in your post would work.

Jump over to the Streetwear forum under "What are you Wearing Today" if you're looking for suggestions.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I also think the streetwear forum would be a better place to look for answers to this. Something like the Taunton would be a good choice, but I don't like the shape of that. A suede boot would also be a good option. If your boss wears a hoodie, you should not be worrying about what is appropriate. If you're one of the oldest, I'd mainly be concerned about not "trying too hard to look young."

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
j said:
Something like the Taunton would be a good choice, but I don't like the shape of that.QUOTE]

I am with J, that shoe is poorly designed and looks nerdy. Besides you want one in black leather or black suede.

A lot of the boots here are hip and good for an office setting. You could wear just about all of them with a suit or jacket as well as jeans.

http://timlittle.com/public_html/page1.htm

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of bespeaking a cream coloured DB lounge suit with navy pinstripes to wear with spectator shoes and bow tie for just this sort of situation. I may yet dare to wear it to a barbeque one day too.

PuppetBoy

Reaction score
I too work at a business casual office, and given how casual "business casual" really is, I don't see a point in relaxing it further on casual Fridays. I generally stick to wool trousers and a dress shirt on Fridays. Some people will comment or ask if I forgot it was Friday to which I merely reply, "No."

Other options would be to dress as you prefer, but with loafers or rubber soled shoes, then if anybody comments you can reply, "This is casual [point to shoes] see -- loafers (or rubber soles)".

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PuppetBoy
I too work at a business casual office, and given how casual "business casual" really is, I don't see a point in relaxing it further on casual Fridays. I generally stick to wool trousers and a dress shirt on Fridays. Some people will comment or ask if I forgot it was Friday to which I merely reply, "No."

Other options would be to dress as you prefer, but with loafers or rubber soled shoes, then if anybody comments you can reply, "This is casual [point to shoes] see -- loafers (or rubber soles)".

Yes, or just leave your pocket square out on Fridays...

Or just quote Sator and make it clear to the youngsters that a lounge suit IS informal by definition (although they may not get it until you take up the habit of coming to work in a "morning suit" (is that what it is called?) now and then...

In any case, if you are the oldest of the team, why not use the more elegant mature style that you seem to enjoy instead of trying to look just like the young guys? When I was young, I always tended to feel a greater respect for my older friends/colleagues that dressed and behaved like "gentlemen", than for those trying to look like "one of the kids". But maybe that's jut me.

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's nice that you are concerned about fitting in with the team. People notice when you care or make efforts such as this. Forget the naysayers that claim you are overthinking it. There's been some good advice so far. It's possible to find something that will work at the office, and you won't feel uncomfortable in.

dapperdude

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I'll take these suggestions into consideration.

I'm actually kind of excited about the opportunity to try new things, as casual attire seems to allow for greater self-expression. It should be fun.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this is a situation where being overdressed is a bad thing, I mean would you wear a 3-piece suit if your superiors wore polos and khakis? You will be seen as an outsider and not part of the team. This doesn't mean you have to dress sloppily. I would go with a crew neck, fitted sweater or cashmere long sleeve tee, some dark denim with a slim (but not tight) fit, and maybe Onitsuka Tigers: http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/6968301/c/81445.html

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dtmt
I think this is a situation where being overdressed is a bad thing, I mean would you wear a 3-piece suit if your superiors wore polos and khakis? You will be seen as an outsider and not part of the team.
I guess it depends on the situation. And yes, maybe wearing a 3-piece suit will be considered "overdressing". But what about a nice sportcoat with a quality shirt (sans tie) or a turtleneck? A pair of elegant ankle boots?
Fitting into a team does not always imply that you need to copy the habits of the other guys (although yes, sometimes it does, I know).

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dapperdude, you have pretty much described the environment at the software company i work for. i manage a small group and the only rule i have is no t-shirts but otherwise just about anything goes on fridays. it's a nice change to be able to wear 'streetwear' compared to the normal boring button down shirt and slacks on M-Th.

-Jeff

dapperdude

Reaction score
gamelan: I work for a consulting company in the entertainment industry, also doing software development. Yeah, casual Friday is a nice change of pace, but I've totally neglected my wardrobe over the past few years so I'm struggling with it at present.

I like all the casual wear suggestions, esp. dtmt's as I could feel comfortable in this kind of attire. The Onitsuka Tigers are cool. I'm glad you brought it to my attention, as that's the kind of sneaker I like with jeans (rather than stark white), and it has an interesting combination of colors. I like New Balance, too; I have a soiled pair that desperately needs replacing. Cashmere tee or some kind of long-sleeve pullover that I don't have to worry about tucking in, but isn't too long or thick, is a great idea. Right now it will work, but LA gets warm, so I think I'll go for polos soon, perhaps one of those trendy ones suggested by mensimageconsultant.com.

I would also like some boots. The Tim Little boots look great - do they have much of a reputation outside England? Are there any decent brands of boots that I could find in a local Nordstrom's?

Thanks again everyone.

oldseed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dapperdude
gamelan: I work for a consulting company in the entertainment industry, also doing software development. Yeah, casual Friday is a nice change of pace, but I've totally neglected my wardrobe over the past few years so I'm struggling with it at present.<SNIP>
Cashmere tee or some kind of long-sleeve pullover that I don't have to worry about tucking in, but isn't too long or thick, is a great idea.

well, not sure how well a cashmere tee well make you "fit in", which is what your stated goal is, in an environment where the boss is wearing a hoodie. i recommend u go to american eagle and pick up a polo shirt and jeans. or really any ensemble from american eagle. u won't be showing up anybody and u'll still look good.

there isn't any magic to casual...

seed

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics