1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Need to get some wrinkles out of a suit. Dry clean or ask them to do something else?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Cognacad, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Cognacad

Cognacad Senior member

Hi all,

When I try my suit jacket on the two sides seem to "poof" out a bit. I know all of the possible methods I can fix this on my own but I am not going to bother and will just bring it to the dry cleaners. I know dry cleaning is generally not good, so is there something else I can get them to do to it that would be better? Do they usually offering steaming services? Pressing? Monkeys throwing feces until the wrinkles are out?

Thanks! I know there are lots of topics on de-wrinkling but most of these are home solutions.

2. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

Pics of the problem will result in better suggestions to solve this issue.

3. harburn

harburn Senior member

Steamers work well; but, not cheap. Worth the investment.

4. Cognacad

Cognacad Senior member

1st. I've been thinking of buying a steamer and I might, but this is a separate issue, I won't be buying one shortly. 2nd. Its not just the side things, there are a few little things here and there that I would like ironed out. Here is one pic which demonstrates the front side pop-outage. Crossing my arms accentuates it. [​IMG] Also, would someone like to comment on the fit? [​IMG] I have no idea why they were uploaded sideways/

5. bowtielover

bowtielover Senior member

A good steaming will get thje wrinkles out, if this is a regular occurance i'd invest in one.

6. Cognacad

Cognacad Senior member

Any suggestions on a steamer? Do they also work well with shirts? (i.e. I won't really have to iron them anymore). I live in Canada and I doubt I could find one locally for a decent price to please if you find one take a quick look if they ship to Canada.

Thanks!

7. binge

binge Senior member

Can you highlight the problem with the jacket you think would be fixed by steaming it? From these two pictures, I can't see what you are talking about.

8. Cognacad

Cognacad Senior member

Sorry, in the first picture the bottom is really "popping" out on the sides and it looks like I am wearing a little dress...no?

9. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

holy fucking shit, posting a straight picture is too much fucking work now?

10. Cognacad

Cognacad Senior member

Sorry.man.I.dont.know.what.to.tell.you.As.you.can.see.I.took.the.picture.straight.It.is.straight.on.my.computer.but.sideways.on.imageshack.

Also.my.space.bar.stops.working.sometimes.You.might.have.to.deal.with.this.all.man.Life.is.rough.

11. binge

binge Senior member

Sorry, in the first picture the bottom is really "popping" out on the sides and it looks like I am wearing a little dress...no?

It's perfectly normal for the skirt to flare out a bit if you cross your arms in front of you.

12. Cognacad

Cognacad Senior member

Yeah.I.figured.as.much.

For.some.reason.though.with.the.pants.on.it.doesn.t.seem.perfect.maybe.it.is.too.long.

thanks.

Will.fix.keyboard.ASAP.too

13. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

What? Skirt flaring out too much? That has nothing to do with wrinkles and steaming but more with the cut of that jacket and what fabric it is made of.

14. Cognacad

Cognacad Senior member

Well it is made of good wool, but I can tell when I look on the side that the flaring out is not due to the seem that is right next to it, just looks like it was the way it was folded when it was shipped to me that created a slight crease.

15. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Looks good to me. I kinda like a little "skirt flair". But, if you don't I think you'd have to have the tailor bring in the sides. There might be just a little too much room around the hips. The front quarters look a hair closed, but overall nice fit.

A light steaming might relax the cloth, but don't overdo it. Too much steam = bad for canvas and shape.

16. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

Steamers work well; but, not cheap. Worth the investment.

jeffreyd (a tailor that posts here) has mentioned previously that steamers do more harm than good on suits.

17. hth2002

hth2002 Senior member

jeffreyd (a tailor that posts here) has mentioned previously that steamers do more harm than good on suits.

What's the alternative for the OP?

18. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

Oh, yeah?

- B

19. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

Yeah jefferyd has a guide posted here on sf and posted on aaac also. His post on aaac has a good pic demonstrating the effect of pressing.
    Oh, yeah? - B
    I was going to post a pic of that inflatable dummy I think you once posted but couldn't find it anywhere. Where to get?!

20. GBR

GBR Senior member

The suits seems fine with normal movement - albeit poor pictures which cannot be seen without inclining the head.

Maybe steam your keyboard as you want to steam something