• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Need to get a wedding gift

ajk5136

Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2010
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Hey all, I'm a little stuck and was wondering if anyone can pass me some thoughts on this. Basically, I have to attend a wedding of a close friend, and I'm actually blank about what to get her. She works in financial services (credit suisse) to be precise.

I've known her for the longest time and she's got a pretty outgoing personality, likes to read novels and go out I guess. I thought about getting her a book but even on that side i'm clueless. Has anyone been through this ordeal before? if so please pass me your thoughts about what you would have gotten or given as a gift...

Thank you in advance
 

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2007
Messages
4,658
Reaction score
57
Is she registered somewhere? How about a Kindle for her reading?
 

ajk5136

Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2010
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
YESSS, thank you so much man, the kindle is a perfect idea!!!
 

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Dec 3, 2009
Messages
19,759
Reaction score
2,696
Originally Posted by ajk5136
YESSS, thank you so much man, the kindle is a perfect idea!!!

unless she has one. cash is king!
 

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
1,033
Reaction score
15
HP 12c since she is in finance.

Just buy something off the registry or give her cash.
 

velvel87

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2007
Messages
767
Reaction score
16
M/FM shower radio with mirror - Best and cheapest wedding gift I got ($10). Just in case you want to buy something fun also.
 

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Dec 6, 2009
Messages
33,512
Reaction score
12,028
Originally Posted by velvel87
AM/FM shower radio with mirror - Best and cheapest wedding gift I got ($10). Just in case you want to buy something fun also.

I can't imagine hating anyone enough to buy them something like that. I wouldn't even buy such a terrible gift for Bin Laden.
 

whiteslashasian

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Aug 20, 2008
Messages
11,917
Reaction score
1,972
My good friend from college had a bunch of camping gear in her registry as they're outdoorsy, so all my college friends and I bought them the entire set of gear and packed a lot of it in the rolling cooler to bring to the wedding. It was a big hit.

The last couple of weddings have been Amazon gift cards (they were moving soon so we didn't want to get them something big they'd have to move anyways) and cash.
 

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Dec 3, 2009
Messages
19,759
Reaction score
2,696
Originally Posted by velvel87
AM/FM shower radio with mirror - Best and cheapest wedding gift I got ($10). Just in case you want to buy something fun also.

wait the fukk a minute...OP is attending the wedding and you are talking about a $10 gift??? cheap mofo! glad you ain't my friend!
 

velvel87

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2007
Messages
767
Reaction score
16
Originally Posted by ter1413
wait the fukk a minute...OP is attending the wedding and you are talking about a $10 gift??? cheap mofo! glad you ain't my friend!

Before you keep hating on the radio idea, first of all, you obviously don't have one because you would know it was awesome. Second, I suggested it as a second gift - not THE gift. And finally, I don't think you should care too much about what your friends get you for your wedding. Maybe its a cultural thing, but I didn't get anything substantial from my friends for my wedding and I was more than fine about it. Although my parents' friends were pretty generous so maybe that had something to do with it.
 

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Jul 18, 2007
Messages
8,508
Reaction score
1,243

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Dec 3, 2009
Messages
19,759
Reaction score
2,696
Originally Posted by velvel87
Before you keep hating on the radio idea, first of all, you obviously don't have one because you would know it was awesome. Second, I suggested it as a second gift - not THE gift. And finally, I don't think you should care too much about what your friends get you for your wedding. Maybe its a cultural thing, but I didn't get anything substantial from my friends for my wedding and I was more than fine about it. Although my parents' friends were pretty generous so maybe that had something to do with it.

hey..i know what the b-room radio is and have always wanted one. HOWEVER, not all people are cool like you! some people invite others to their wedding(sometimes with a +1) and fully expect to cover the cost with the gifts that they receive. not MY rules, just how it is. a second gift, definitely! a main gift...$10......shady! hey, i would like it, others would blacklist the OP!
 

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 10 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 42 15.3%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 86 31.4%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 51 18.6%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 19 6.9%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 18 6.6%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 11 4.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 6 2.2%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 12 4.4%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 100+

    Votes: 15 5.5%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,324
Messages
9,197,222
Members
193,159
Latest member
Darkishhaddock

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top