• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need to gain weight

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Since the holidays, I have just been running myself too hard, not eating well or enough, not sleeping enough, etc. I have lost about 8-10 lbs off my normal weight, and it's making me look unhealthy. Even my slim fit jeans are too loose on me now. Since noticing this I have begun a campaign to eat often and much, but it's unlikely I'll be exercising much any time soon. I am chowing down a whole order of pad Thai right now, which is more than I would usually eat at once, but then I thought, Thai people are all pretty thin, maybe this isn't going to help.

What should I be eating/doing to gain some weight of a healthy type? Just lots of protein, or what? I've been eating oatmeal for breakfast the last few days and it's really nice not feeling hungry after an hour and/or having a big sugar drop from eating a muffin or something.

Thanks.

Brian SD

Reaction score
The most obvious thing to do would be to count your calories and work on getting them up to a healthier level. Concentrate on healthy ***** foods, like avocados.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
N Large 2 At 620 calories/shake, you should put back on the 10 pounds in no time. Â
biggrin.gif
 If you are going to try this (I should note that I have never consumed this product), I would recommend that you lift weights so that the weight doesn't come back as fat around your midsection.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Hmm. So, more calories, makes sense. ***** foods or protein rich foods? I'm probably not going to lift weights, though I have been trying to walk more. It's mainly my legs that have gotten skinny. My torso looks like Bruce Lee now, only without the muscle.
biggrin.gif
I can actually see my abs, and how pathetic they are. Oh yeah, and I haven't been drinking much beer lately, maybe I need to get back on that routine.

ct2272

Reaction score
Weight gain without exercise will be in the form of fat. As long as you are comfortable with that then you seem to be on the right track.

Calculate your daily calories that you burn (Daily Metabolic Rate) and as long as you take in more calories than what that number is then you will add weight.

Also divide your meals from 3 to as many as you can fit in. Most folks who exercise average 5-6 on a normal day. Smaller more frequent meals keeps the metabolism moving.

Regards,
CT

Brian SD

Reaction score
Hmm. So, more calories, makes sense. ***** foods or protein rich foods? I'm probably not going to lift weights, though I have been trying to walk more. It's mainly my legs that have gotten skinny. My torso looks like Bruce Lee now, only without the muscle.
biggrin.gif
I can actually see my abs, and how pathetic they are. Oh yeah, and I haven't been drinking much beer lately, maybe I need to get back on that routine.
Protein rich foods are always a plus, but it's unrealistic to be getting a significant gain in calories from proteins alone (unless youre drinking protein shakes). The ratio of calories per gram of protein is 1:3, while fat is 1:9. I know those are the numbers (1:3, 1:9) but it might not be gram:calorie, but you get the point.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think the best way is to get onto a high protein program and lift weights (at least some), that would be the best way to gain weight and keep it on.

fareau

Reaction score
J,

I started to write a response, but my girlfriend said I was over-medicalizing your description of events; so, I have, at great pains, erased my excellent message to placate my significant other. However, just be aware that if you are unable to gain weight despite all your best efforts, there is always an outside possibility of diabetes or thyroid disease (ie hyperthyroidism) as potential offenders. She was right, I was over-medicalizing your post......

Otherwise, I think you should just resume your usual pre-holiday stress diet; your weight will normalize very quickly without additional undue efforts. It is very easy to overshoot and end up putting on unnecessary weight with over-zealous alterations to your diet and quick fix solutions. Anyhow, just my opinion.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
j, might I suggest getting married and having a baby?
devil.gif
it worked for me

TheRookie

Reaction score
Another vote for lifting (squatting and deadlifting specifically) and then I'd chase it with milk and tuna.

Since you don't want to lift, at least be sure that you are eating something every few hours rather than going a long time between meals. Drink more beer. Lots.

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey J,

I would echo the sentiments of others in this thread. The only way you're going to gain the weight back is by eating more frequently, I would aim for 4-5 times a day. I'm training right now and the my body type doesn't allow me to gain weight easily. Subsequently, I have to eat 6-7 full meals a day to gain anything. I know it sounds like a pain but with a little planning the day before it's fairly easy to eat every 3-4 hours.  Prepare some sandwiches, carrot sticks, fruit, bottle of water, etc. and you can eat it at your desk while you're working. And get some sleep and at least go for a walk to get a little exercise and destress. Hope you'll be back to your normal self soon.

A.

fareau

Reaction score
I would reiterate that force feeding yourself calories is not warranted. Assuming that whatever period of stress/depression/illness has passed, you will put the weight on fairly easily. Just let your appetite be your guide. Seriously.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Fareau, I actually have had thyroid problems in the past, and I have blood sugar problems (sort of the opposite of diabetes, whatever that's called) as well. Because of the latter I have pretty much cut sugary stuff out of my diet - it lifts me up a little bit and then drops me right on ****** about 20 minutes later. If this persists, I will go to a doctor about it. I don't think it's improper to medicalize a situation like this. Granted, it's only about 5-6% of my weight, but if it stays this way, it could be indicative of something more serious. I'm not going to overeat, but I am going to be sure to get at least 3 significant (not large) meals a day, and hopefully more.

What I was doing that led to this was to put off eating because I would get busy, and then get too tired to think about making/getting something to eat, and giving up, eating something really small and going to bed hungry. If I don't take care of hunger pretty quickly, I start getting tired and unmotivated, and if I get distracted (hey, while you're out there, could you look at _, and __), then I live on Vitamin Water or plain water, and end up eating barely anything before bed.

Anyway, I've eaten a lot today, stocked up a bit on easy to eat food, and I will get more, so hopefully this will fix it.

Thanks for all the input.

marc37

Reaction score
Jeremy:

lt is silly to suggest eating more and/or having a bad diet full of protein.

l will set the record straight: accept the way you are. You probably have a fast metabolism. There is not much you can do.

But: maybe you could incombine afew of your meals; eg mix proteins with carbs. This always makes it harder to lose weight.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads