• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need to describe jacket to tailor, plz help - Navy Blue, wool?, half lining, Stretchy

JamesK

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am having some difficulty explaining a jacket to my tailor which I need shipped to me soon. Without getting into details I'm traveling excessively for 2 months and my lack of ability to find him a picture online or tell him the material is making it difficult to explain over the phone.

I have seen this jacket at a a couple stores here in Paris but specifically at zegna. I'm no fashion guru so forgive my childish description

Navy Blue, possibly virgin wool?, partially lined, almost "stretchy" it has give to it, and this sounds strange but you can see through it if there is light behind it..

I think this is it but I can not be sure as I don't know the material of the jacket I saw or if this one is "see through".

Can somebody confirm or assist in a better description please?

cheers

http://store.zegna.com/ERMENEGILDO%2...d10/41201012PT

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Click on details and you'll see your answers

Wool voile, Buttoned cuffs, Three pockets, Four internal jacket pockets, 2 buttons, Dual rear slits, Partially lined interior, Boning

Fabric: 100% Wool

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why don't you just use the description from the one you linked? 'Unlined ultralight wool' sounds like it would behave in the way your describing; the wool being very thin plus having no lining would certainly mean light would shine through to a certain extent.

Your tailor should have no trouble making an unlined jacket, the difficulty will be getting a similar fabric; the fabric on the Zegna jacket will obviously be Zegna fabric and they probably have similar, if not identical, fabrics available to tailors, but this sort of very light fabric will probably not be cheap.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
"Excuse me, Mr. Tailor. One stretchy suit please!"

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You can discover everything you need to know with a couple phone calls.

Ask your tailor if he has the Zegna cloth line. If so, he can source the cloth if it is available in the line at present. If he doesn't have the books he can contact the distributor, identify the cloth and perhaps they will sell him a length or he can buy it thru someone/ another tailor who does have the line.

This type of cloth is very common and a substitute is easy to find.

JamesK

Reaction score
Excellent - he does carry the Zegna line - item ordered and will be shippied within the week! - Huge thank you

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads