• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need to buy a new car-suggestions

millionaire75

Reaction score
So, it looks like I will have to replace my 1999 328i after only 163K miles. I've had nothing but trouble with this car since I bought it pre-owned in 2002 (with 30k miles on it). I'm a little hesitant to go with another BMW after my negative experience but I'm not really sure I like any other cars out there. Anyone else have similar experiences with BMW? Or any suggestions?

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by millionaire75
No, I'm not kidding. What seemed humorous/farcical about my post?

It's hit or miss with a Bimmer, and that comes with the territory. I owned a 330Ci without any problem. Many of my family members have owned Bimmers, largely without major problems. But, once in a while, you get that lemon and it just sucks you dry. Since you got a lemon for the last one, I suspect your Bimmer karma will do you good for the next one.

millionaire75

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
It's hit or miss with a Bimmer, and that comes with the territory. I owned a 330Ci without any problem. Many of my family members have owned Bimmers, largely without major problems. But, once in a while, you get that lemon and it just sucks you dry. Since you got a lemon for the last one, I suspect your Bimmer karma will do you good for the next one.

I hope you're right, brother!

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not a huge car expert but I'm around the upper mid range to really expensive stuff quite often and the feedback that I get is that Lexus is quite reliable. The BMWs that my parents have owned have had problems with electronics (idrive). I know the X5 is supposed to be like the best SUV, but that isn't a terribly exciting car.

My car is an S600 from 99, and I haven't touched it in a while, it's in storage in another state since I don't need a car here. I only like the look of British cars. Everything is starting to look like a ******* Toyota Camry or Corolla or whatever. I've just been told that Lexus is solid as a rock as far as reliability. Unfortunately the more affordable Mercedes are built stateside. I know Lexus is just as ubiquitous as anything else, but I've heard a lot about their reliability and their blu tech and all that **** is supposed to be the best. If I do get a big car again, it really might be that big Lexus that parks itself. It just looks kind of gangster and I think I'd like it.

oceans11

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
It's hit or miss with a Bimmer, and that comes with the territory.

You can say that again. I had a 318i & the water pump went out & head gasket blew. I thought I just got a lemon until 3 other friends stated their water pumps all went & 1 out of 3 had a blown head gasket as well.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the BMW 6-cylinder engines before the N-series (that came out with the E90), water pump failure and radiator neck breakage are common, to the point where they are normal service items for people who want to keep their cars for a while. There are long-term solutions to both problems, and it's not expensive. Sorry about the head gasket.

I was at my mechanic's today, and they had an AMG C32 in where one of the lobes on the camshaft had basically gotten loose and flopped over! This is literally a 1 in a million kind of occurence, so there's always bad luck to be had. Buyers should be aware that high-performance cars will always cost more to maintain even if nothing goes wrong.

--Andre

J'aimelescravates

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My BMW experience was with an E36...horrible.....
It was in the shop all the time and certainly was not indicative of BMW's usually excellent build quality. It left a bad taste in my mouth for BMW ever since. Plus, I do not like where Chris Bangle is taking their designs lately

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by J'aimelescravates
While Lexus may be generally reliable (though I've heard some horror stories) don't you want something with a soul?

What about BMW or Mercedes has more soul? They're all mass produced, look like almost every other car out there, and every soccer mom owns one. The concept of a mass produced car with a soul is interesting to me.

An Aston, I'd buy it. Even a nice Jag, or an exotic Italian. But what from BMW or Benz has a soul besides the really special cars like the SLR?

turboman808

Reaction score
No, I'm not kidding. What seemed humorous/farcical about my post?

I have a hard time understand how anyone would drive a car for 130k miles that they think is a POS.

What exactly were the major problems?

J'aimelescravates

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
What about BMW or Mercedes has more soul? They're all mass produced, look like almost every other car out there, and every soccer mom owns one. The concept of a mass produced car with a soul is interesting to me. An Aston, I'd buy it. Even a nice Jag, or an exotic Italian. But what from BMW or Benz has a soul besides the really special cars like the SLR?
Where do you get that I was referring to MB or BMW in my post? BMW I do not like. Lexus was started only about 20 years ago and are, to me, glorified toyotas MB I will say has soul. Look at the length and the history of the company. Sure they make a lot but who has their amount of history, prestige and amount of innovations? I think I am bias here though b/c I am a MB owner and have always liked their vehicles AM? Maybe. They DID have soul but lost it when Ford bought them out and never got it back even after that Kuwati guy bought a huge stake.

millionaire75

Reaction score
Originally Posted by turboman808
I have a hard time understand how anyone would drive a car for 130k miles that they think is a POS.

What exactly were the major problems?

the problems started a long time ago. Sorry if I didn't make that clear in my orig post.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, it looks like I will have to replace my 1999 328i after only 163K miles. I've had nothing but trouble with this car since I bought it pre-owned in 2002 (with 30k miles on it). I'm a little hesitant to go with another BMW after my negative experience but I'm not really sure I like any other cars out there. Anyone else have similar experiences with BMW? Or any suggestions?

Get a Porsche SUV.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads