• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need tips on a tux

thecopinator

Reaction score
I was wondering what brands you guys would suggest for a tuxedo. Naturally I would assume to go with good suit brands Zegna, Canali, etc. But would like to know the Tux's you guys have or any recommendations. Thank you!

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm happy with Brooks Brothers' tuxedos. Preferably, Madison fit. And while I like the idea of a shawl lapel, as a practical matter I think I look better wearing a peak lapel.

Then again, I'm a slightly overweight man in my 50's, who is partial to more traditional styles and fits. For all I know, you may be half my age, 8 inches shorter and 75 lbs. lighter than I am, and have very different sartorial preferences from mine.

I would add that if one wants to pick up a good tuxedo on the cheap, eBay often seems to have a decent selection of Brooks tuxedos, ranging from new, all the way back to pre-WWII. While one can debate the merits of buying vintage vs. buying new, I do know that I'd take a pre-owned vintage Brooks Brothers tuxedo off of eBay, before I'd pay the Formals B Us tuxedo store at the local mall for a rental. Just saying, is all.

thecopinator

Reaction score
Thank you for your help I was thinking Brooks Brothers but did not realize they had such great deals off ebay!

Spark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Given how much anyone really wears a tux over the course of a year, eBay is definitely the call here. You have to hunt a bit, but I think the supply is generally good as many tuxes get bought with great intentions, then are used only a few times and get dumped. As long as you know your measurements and the quality levels of respective makers/brands, it's pretty hard to go wrong.

Case in Point: I needed one two years ago only to realize that all that time in the gym had rendered my old one useless about a month out from the event. One glance at retail pricing ( even on sale) closed that door and I clicked over to the bay. A few days later, I nailed a double vent, peak lapel Canali for a whopping $125/shipped. Quick trip to alterations tailor to pull the shoulder pads, adjust sleeves, make a few nips, and hem pants and I was back in the game for a bit over two bills.

The kicker: I went to BB to buy a new tux shirt to complete the upgrade and it cost $80 something…sheeesh!

Happy hunting!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads