• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need tie advice for funeral

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a funeral to attend to today, and I already have the black suit picked out. I am wondering if this tie would be inappropriate. I can pick up a more somber black one, but I thought I'd seek out advice first.

Thanks in advance.

DSCF1568.jpg

The color is pretty accurate in the photo. It's a navy blue with the stripe.

FoxTheSly

Reaction score
This is a funeral. You're not really meant to think so much about fashion.
tounge.gif

I would personally go for a black tie.

Optimas

Reaction score
I would choose a black one - however, judging by the funerals I have attended, the tie shown should be perfectly ok; I can hardly imagine that your outfit would not be considered appropriate anywhere in the western world.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think the tie in the pic is subdued enough to be fine; however, if you have a black tie, then I'd wear it.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I just went out and got one, just in case this one was not right. It doesn't have any bold stripes, but it does have a small dot pattern. About to leave, so I don't have time for a pic.

Thanks again.

Spirit of 69

Reaction score
Although I love that tie Chips, being exactly the pattern of tie I regularly wear to work, I think you should wear a black.

Trivia note: of course if you were attending the funeral of a loved one in Sweden you would wear a white tie. In Sweden black ties at funerals are only worn by the church attendants, organists etc. and undertakers. A family member in a black tie at a funeral in Sweden is considered a great
insult.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A funeral is as much a celebration of the life of the deceased as a sombre occasion. I would therefore wear something to reflect the character to the departed, subdued if a boring fellow/woman something brighter if laughter and gaiety were the norm is his/her life.

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Standard practice is pretty sombre dress including neckties. I tend to run towards mutted colours when I go funerals (thankfully have not had to go to one recently).

When I exit stage left, I am leaving instructions for attendees at my memorial service to wear something colourful.

presence

Reaction score
Go for a solid dark color. Remember, this is a funeral. The attention should be geared too the family of the deceased, not on yourself. Leave your vanity at home.

Berticus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
A funeral is as much a celebration of the life of the deceased as a sombre occasion. I would therefore wear something to reflect the character to the departed, subdued if a boring fellow/woman something brighter if laughter and gaiety were the norm is his/her life.
Funerals are a little more than just celebrating the life of the deceased. It's also a time to grieve and come to terms with a lost one; to realize that a death has occurred. As presence pointed out, the attention shouldn't be on you, but the family and close friends of the deceased, and most importantly towards the deceased his/herself. You want to be as conservative as you can, unless the "host" gives you the ok.

HatMagnet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gopunk
Solid black or navy.

+ 1. Although I've noticed that at the last few funerals I've attended (too damn many lately) people don't seem to put much thought into what they wear to funerals thses days. I recently saw a pallbearer sporting a crimson pull over sweater.
plain.gif
And the vast majority of mourners show up in some form of jeans.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads