• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Need suggestions for a small objet d'art/conversation piece for a room

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to fill out a computer room that is way too empty and need some ideas. I picked up a shelf like the one below and want to use it as a display case for various things to give the room some personality. I've used a couple of slots for pictures I've taken, framed vinyl records, kidrobot collectibles, art, etc.

I'm looking for ideas for one more thing - some kind of interesting thing I can put in a slot to fill it out. Really anything that looks interesting and is a conversation piece. Maybe something typically iGent? If I had lots of money to burn, I'd just buy a pair of really nice shoes with a timeless design just for display and throw it in there. Perhaps some iconic electronics of yesteryear? A sterling silver skull?

I'm really just looking for something, anything that jumps out at me and don't even know where to look.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Knick knacks from your travels. Reminds you of your trip and provides a good conversation starter.

sns23

Reaction score
How about a small sculpture? I make a variety of affordable pieces.

Last edited:

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Honestly, by asking on the internet, I think you're doing it wrong. You've said you want "personality;" it should be your own personality that's reflected.

But since you did ask, and since we know you're a long-time SF member, I think we can safely assume you're a fan of fine men's clothing. I might suggest trying to find an old, well-loved, patinated pair of shoe lasts. Bonus points if you, say, call your favorite shoemaker and get a hold of a set in your size or favorite last.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How about a pair of feet. That wouldn't be creepy or anything.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Moments like these are when I most keenly feel the absence of LabelKing.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
For years I've had an exaggerated plaster cast of my penis on display. Visitors have signed it with all sorts of witticisms, and it's really made for a lot of interesting conversations. It's almost full at this point, I think I'm going to polyurethane it for posterity and start again with a plaster cast of my scrotum. Might work for you.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

For years I've had an exaggerated plaster cast of my penis on display. Visitors have signed it with all sorts of witticisms, and it's really made for a lot of interesting conversations. It's almost full at this point, I think I'm going to polyurethane it for posterity and start again with a plaster cast of my scrotum. Might work for you.

exaggerated huh...so, three inches?

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Last edited:

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Moments like these are when I most keenly feel the absence of LabelKing.

I never fully appreciated his eccentricity, but times like this - I ask myself WWLKD?

Honestly, by asking on the internet, I think you're doing it wrong. You've said you want "personality;" it should be your own personality that's reflected.
But since you did ask, and since we know you're a long-time SF member, I think we can safely assume you're a fan of fine men's clothing. I might suggest trying to find an old, well-loved, patinated pair of shoe lasts. Bonus points if you, say, call your favorite shoemaker and get a hold of a set in your size or favorite last.

I realize it is throwing stuff against the wall, but I'm hopeful someone will turn me onto something that speaks to me. I did think about shoe lasts - may have to revisit that one. If I ever go bespoke, I'm buying the last just for display.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite summer fabric?

• Seersucker

• Fresco

• Linen

• Silk

Results are only viewable after voting.