• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

    Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Heavyweight Tees Drop, going on right now.

    Uniform LA's popular heavyweight tees are now restocked, in three styles, so there is something for every style. They are available in three classic colors: white, black, and the heather grey featured here.. These high quality tees are staples that work in every seasons. Check them out here here

    If you have any questions for the designer, please, he is a valued and active member and sponsor of the community, and can be found here

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

    Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need suggestions for a new hair style

photofabix

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2008
Messages
107
Reaction score
0
I'm trying to decide what to do with my hair, I never intended to get it shaved but a couple months ago a Barber I went to shaved it (very bad intercommunication on his part). I let it grow back and got it cut once or twice since then. I'm kind of sick of my hair as it is and was wondering if anyone has some suggestions. I really hate putting stuff in my hair (gel, wax what ever) and just want something low hassle. Pic on left is the day it was shaved, on the right was a couple days after my last cut on Thanksgiving.
 

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2006
Messages
4,601
Reaction score
145
What's with the eyes?

Anyway, the face shape will accomodate almost anything. What don't you like about the hairstyle? It would be better without the strands of hair falling on your forehead like fangs, though you probably need some coverage there.
 

photofabix

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2008
Messages
107
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
Anyway, the face shape will accomodate almost anything. What don't you like about the hairstyle? It would be better without the strands of hair falling on your forehead like fangs, though you probably need some coverage there.
Mainly how it is now (parted in the middle), I think it looks kind of messy, my hair is extremly thick and grows like a weed. I don't have a receding hairline just a big forehead I guess, every stylist I go to leaves my bangs long. Also at this length it needs some kind of hair product, but I have allergies to most everything so I can't use anything (long story). At the other extreme when it got shaved I didn't like that it made me look allot younger then I am (32) err at least to me I thought it did.
 

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2006
Messages
4,601
Reaction score
145
You're right about looking younger. It's probably due to the focus on the youthful skin. Unfortunately, you probably are wrong about hair loss. It often occurs insidiously. The amount looks okay now, but it could quickly deteriorate. You'll need to compare with old photos or consult a dermatologist.

As for the look, consider a more "hip" version of the Ivy League hairstyle. (He's not exactly a role model, but John Edwards has the basic style.) Grown longer in front, parted to the left and basically combed over. But deliberately messed up on top and combed forward a bit at the temples, to look less conservative.
 

photofabix

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2008
Messages
107
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
You're right about looking younger. It's probably due to the focus on the youthful skin. Unfortunately, you probably are wrong about hair loss. It often occurs insidiously. The amount looks okay now, but it could quickly deteriorate. You'll need to compare with old photos or consult a dermatologist. .
Depends on how far back I should look, for as long as I can remember my hair line has been the same. Heres a few older photos.. 1998 (pardon the tank top, I can't find many older pics of my self) 2005 (yes I turned fat for a while, but have lost the weight again thankfully)
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
As for the look, consider a more "hip" version of the Ivy League hairstyle. (He's not exactly a role model, but John Edwards has the basic style.) Grown longer in front, parted to the left and basically combed over. But deliberately messed up on top and combed forward a bit at the temples, to look less conservative.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'm not sure I can pull off a side part, my hair just normally parts right down the middle, that's about the only reason I keep it as such.
 

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2006
Messages
4,601
Reaction score
145
The hairstyle from your bodybuilding days looks good. Was the part not so visible then? Unfortunately, from the temples, it looks like you have lost some hair. And maybe the hairline is higher than it was in the 'heavy' picture. (Crash dieting can cause some hair loss.) The part might also be an indicator. If someone competent cuts your hair, he or she surely could come up with a trick, probably requiring some growing out first, to cover the part and more of the forehead fairly evenly instead of choppy as in the recent picture.
 

photofabix

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2008
Messages
107
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
The hairstyle from your bodybuilding days looks good. Was the part not so visible then? Unfortunately, from the temples, it looks like you have lost some hair. And maybe the hairline is higher than it was in the 'heavy' picture. (Crash dieting can cause some hair loss.) The part might also be an indicator.
Thanks, back in the body building days I did wear it shaved for a while, so the part wasn't noticable. I used to go to a neighbor who did fades and flat tops out of there garage.
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
If someone competent cuts your hair, he or she surely could come up with a trick, probably requiring some growing out first, to cover the part and more of the forehead fairly evenly instead of choppy as in the recent picture.
You hit the nail on the head, since moving to N Florida from S Florida I haven't been able to locate a competent barber or stylist. Got one barber that try's to finish your neck with an unsanitized straight razor (no thanks) the other barber who doesn't use shears and shaves you, or the ever popular Hair Cuttery (or as I call them Hair Butchery) there's one or two high price salons here that I haven't hit yet I just can't swing 45 and 50 for a cut every 3 or 4 weeks.
 

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

  • Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

  • Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

  • Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

  • Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.


Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
510,409
Messages
10,619,789
Members
225,236
Latest member
butefal
Top