• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need St. Andrews and Cantarelli Suit Advice!

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

A small boutique is clearing out their inventory at 50% off.

Is a Sartoria St. Andrews suit a good deal at $2250 (NWT)? Note that this is actually St. Andrews, not RLPL.

What about a half canvass Cantarelli at $950 (NWT)?

I'm not spamming, but want to know if it's a good deal so I can act fast.

Thanks for the help guys!

stu00a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i dont actually think thats good deal.

by the way, which store and where??

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A small boutique in Toronto. I thought St. Andrews was very high end?

And stu00a, I actually PM'd you on a separate matter!

literasyme

Reaction score
Neither is a particularly good deal. The St Andrews maybe, since they're difficult to find, but the Cantarelli is still overpriced (check Yoox periodically for much, much better deals). The idea that anyone would sell (or buy) a half-canvassed Cantarelli for $1900 is kind of amazing to me.

I don't think there's any risk you're going to get scooped on this, so would you ming sharing which boutique you're talking about? I had no idea there was a place in TO that sold St Andrews!

stu00a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
at $900
You can get NWT Solid Navy Oxxford Suit, in your size.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
seems expensive - what they they want in the first instance?

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by literasyme

I don't think there's any risk you're going to get scooped on this, so would you ming sharing which boutique you're talking about? I had no idea there was a place in TO that sold St Andrews!

It's called Tarantino's. I was pretty shocked they had St. Andrew's as well (I thought we had to go to NYC for that).

The owner (Carlo) is a really nice gentleman who explained that he's clearing out his stock of St. Andrews. He also has very nice MTM/Bespoke fabrics

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They wanted 4500 for the St. Andrews and 1900 for the Canterelli at full price.

CutandSew

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Redwoood
Has anybody ever seen Oxxford for sale in Toronto?

Nope...never. Come to think of it, I've never seen Hickey Freeman for sale in TO either! No Oxxford, no Hickey Freeman. I've always wondered about that since Rochester and Chicago are somewhat close by.

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For this price, $2250, I'd be looking for a tailor who is under priced. There are some very good custom/bespoke tailors who haven't kept up with the times when it comes to price. Some tailors and you are the designer of your clothes, his job is to make them. The power is in your hands of how you want to look in your clothes. This is a world that is almost forgotten. Whereas, at the store you only get what is available. The designer label has taken out the customers creativity. Some tailors have house styles they do not depart from, so in a since they are making store bought clothes, but fitted (I hardly call that tailoring).

The art of dressing begins the process. You decide what you want to wear and what it and you will look like. From there you go to a tailor and have it made. If you go to a store, then it is others who have designed each part and you try and pick through to to make the whole work, so there is not much art in this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics