Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Need some tie advice. Staples for a new attorney

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Zackb911, May 6, 2011.

1. Zackb911

Zackb911 Senior member

I'm planning on picking up several ties(~6) from TheTieBar.com. I've heard more good than bad and at $15/each they're in my price range. My current ties are several years old and all varying levels of poor quality. With that said. Looking for ties to go with Navy & Charcoal suits. Nothing too bold or trendy. Just sharp, timeless, and year round appropriate if possible. I'm 6' & 180lbs, 42R suit, and would be wearing white or blue shirts. So let the wealth of knowledge and insight on patterns, colors, materials, sizing advice spew forth. [​IMG] And thank you in advance...

2. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

i like the tie bars polka dot ties in navy with white, red, etc dots. I also like their wool ties in burgundy and navy.

As long as the ties aren't super loud, and are somewhat restrained colors for court, use your own style in making your selections

also, at 6ft 180, I would think a 42r would be quite a bit too big. I'm 6' and about 175 and i fit nicely into a 38r or a 40 in some of the italian brands.

got a porsche 911?

3. Zackb911

Zackb911 Senior member

How about cotton vs wool vs silk? Or proper tie width, etc?

Seems I've heard mixed things on their "skinny" ties. The knits are also out unless informal and winter I presume.

4. Navi

Navi Senior member

I'm planning on picking up several ties(~6) from TheTieBar.com. I've heard more good than bad and at $15/each they're in my price range. My current ties are several years old and all varying levels of poor quality.

With that said. Looking for ties to go with Navy & Charcoal suits. Nothing too bold or trendy. Just sharp, timeless, and year round appropriate if possible. I'm 6' & 180lbs, 42R suit, and would be wearing white or blue shirts.

So let the wealth of knowledge and insight on patterns, colors, materials, sizing advice spew forth. [​IMG]

And thank you in advance...

3.25" to 3.5" ideally, navy with white pindots, wine/burgundy with pindots, some repp stripes... Navy with simple white stripes = great, mine gets tone of wear. Really anything that is subdued will be fine. Can get some geometrics or neats, too. Read the CBD WAYWRN thread!

5. Chips

Chips Senior member

I strongly endorse stapling any attorney. Use heavy duty staples. They will stick in further.

6. Carlisle Blues

Carlisle Blues Senior member

at $15/each they're in my price range. My current ties are several years old and all varying levels of poor quality.
    Where in Boston will you be practicing?

7. Zackb911

Zackb911 Senior member

Thanks guys!

Not sure on where in Boston, I do not have anything lined up yet. I'll definitely be staying here though as I already own a home. Hoping to find a job after the bar in July.

8. Carlisle Blues

Carlisle Blues Senior member

Not sure on where in Boston, I do not have anything lined up yet. I'll definitely be staying here though as I already own a home. Hoping to find a job after the bar in July.
    I see. A thought......buy one great tie, one great shirt (preferably French Cuff), one great suit, not all at once, and the rest your normal wear. Good Luck!!!

9. payoffwizard

payoffwizard Member

i like the tie bars polka dot ties in navy with white, red, etc dots. I also like their wool ties in burgundy and navy.

As long as the ties aren't super loud, and are somewhat restrained colors for court, use your own style in making your selections

also, at 6ft 180, I would think a 42r would be quite a bit too big. I'm 6' and about 175 and i fit nicely into a 38r or a 40 in some of the italian brands.

got a porsche 911?

[​IMG]

10. elgreco

elgreco Senior member

J. Press is having a sale currently; use coupon code 'PSMAY11'. They've got a nice range of classic ties and you can secure some staples at a nice discount: For starters, this: [​IMG] And perhaps this: [​IMG]

11. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

If you're looking to begin building a professional wardrobe with staples, I think you need to silk. Wool and cotton have their place for occasional/seasonal wear as part of a diverse wardrobe, but I think your starter set as a young lawyer should be silk, traditional patterns, between 3.25" and 3.75" in length. The two examples posted by elgreco seem appropriate, although you obviously should be guided by your individual taste as well.

12. phxlawstudent

phxlawstudent Senior member

The ties I use the most often have a color base of the following: maroon, gold/yellow, navy, light blue.

I really like Talbott ties from the Rack because they're inexpensive, well made, and edgy but still conservative. I also have plain colors. Either case, you can get away with having very few ties. Hardly anyone notices.

13. Doc4

Doc4 Senior member

14. Zackb911

Zackb911 Senior member

Thanks again for the insight guys. Exactly what I was looking for! [​IMG]