• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need some suggestions/ideas for formal event

Rayford Booth

Reaction score
Ok so i have just been informed today that i have a event i have to attend in mid november that is fairly high class event. It is not a tux event but I do want to show up with bit of a pop.

My thinking is that i was going to go with a dark suit(have not decided on two or three button) (possibly with some pin stripes), white pocket square and a thin tie.

So i thought i should give this forum a yelp and see what suggestions and comments i get. Please be honest and dont sugar coat, but if you do comment dont just say bad idea give me reasons and solutions.

smile.gif

Thanks

Shraka

Reaction score
With no real information on the event, what you look like or what cloths you have available it's hard to help.

If you're thinking an ultra thin guards tie, I'd avoid that though.

Depends on the event, but I might go for a semi dinner jacket. Midnight blue or black, jetted pockets (or tucked flaps), single or two button open quarters with self faced peak lapel and double vents. Worn with a nice regular neck tie.

Rayford Booth

Reaction score
I am 6' tall with dark brown hair.
I am of medium build with fairly wide shoulders.

I am open to the clothes as i am most likely going to use this event as an excuse to buy a new suit.
I am willing to buy ties, shoes, shirts etc to go with.

Price range is nothing to high.
Suits i have looked at in the past are: CK, Chaps Ralph Lauren, Ralph Lauren, JOE, Tallia, and Michael Kors, But i am open to other names and styles.

It is a Business dinner with maybe some dancing.

There will be lots of business punks with their windsor knots that are as think as their necks.

Shraka

Reaction score
I'd just go with a well fitted white shirt with turn down collar.

Rayford Booth

Reaction score
Ok. But i will be needing to wear a suit. I was originally thinking to wear white as i have been told it looks pretty good one me. Any comments on a suit color/style?

Thanks

Shraka

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rayford Booth
Ok. But i will be needing to wear a suit. I was originally thinking to wear white as i have been told it looks pretty good one me. Any comments on a suit color/style?

Thanks

Black, midnight blue or perhaps charcoal or mid gray, but it really depends on what suits you. I'd go with black or navy blue for myself.

JeffsWood

Reaction score
I would not wear pin stripes to an evening event - pinstripes are for buisness suits.

If it was me I woud buy the nicest dark navy, 2 button suit you can afford (You will wear again and again and again). Black shoes, black belt as it is after 6pm. White shirt. Have fun with your tie and PS.

AC7

Reaction score
I suggest a lime green blazer, bright orange pants, silver tie, purple shirt, red top hat, and sequined shoes.

Trust me, it will work.

Shraka

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AC7
I suggest a lime green blazer, bright orange pants, silver tie, purple shirt, red top hat, and sequined shoes. Trust me, it will work.
And I suggest you go visit the decommissioned Chernobyl nuclear power plant, and just for kicks, get into the sarcophagus somehow, find some FCM and use is as an exfoliate with your showers from now on.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JeffsWood
I would not wear pin stripes to an evening event - pinstripes are for buisness suits.

If it was me I woud buy the nicest dark navy, 2 button suit you can afford (You will wear again and again and again). Black shoes, black belt as it is after 6pm. White shirt. Have fun with your tie and PS.

I agree, I wouldn't wear a pinstripe suit. A solid navy or charcoal would look nice, though mine would be a 3 rolled to 2.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads