• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need some suggestions for a semiformal and wedding! ASAP

ForeverYoung

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new around here but I've l've lurked once in a while and I know you guys can help me. I'm only 19 but I want to look good but I'm a college student and have a limited budget and time. There's 2 events I'm going to, a club semiformal dance on thursday and a wedding next saturday. Thanks a million.

For the semiformal dance, nobody is going to be wearing suits, the expected attire is slacks, a dress shirt, dress shoes, tie optional.

What I plan to wear is a nice alternating medium stripe navy blue/baby blue button up shirt with black slacks. I want to wear a tie and since the stripes are bold on the shirt, I'm thinking I have to wear a solid tie, maybe a solid baby blue tie? That's a little simple for me, I'm wondering if I can wear a baby blue tie textured somehow, or would the style clash with the shirt? Let me know what you think, it's this thursday and I'm swamped with midterms so I'll only have tomorrow and thursday to look. Also I have the traditional belt, I want a buckle style belt but it's hard to find one that fits my waist size. I saw some nice Giorgio Armani ones at Saks 5th Outlet but too large, any suggestions where to look? If I can't find one I'll wear the traditional black belt.

For the wedding, it's expected that everyone wears at least a suit. Most people wear some kind of dress shirt or white shirt with tie then a suit. I have a black slim fitting blazer I'm planning to wear with a pale pink shirt that has white coller and cuffs small skinny subtle stripes. What kind of tie would fit for this shirt and doesn't clash with a black blazer? I was thinking some shade of gray or silver, a unique trendy kind of tie is possible. Would that work? Also the black slacks I have, have faded a little over the years and looks lighter than the blazer so I'm shopping around macy's for a new pair. I'm like a 29/29 so it is very difficult to find my size, I might have to settle for 30/30 and get it hemmed. Any suggestions where to look? Also, the shirt doesn't have french cuffs, is that ok? Let me know, the wedding is next saturday, thanks.

ForeverYoung

Reaction score
Gonna go shopping tomorrow around lunch time, don't wanna wait till thursday to find something I need to wear thursday night. Any suggestions are welcome, thanks.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
i suggest you not wear black trousers. perhaps dark grey would be better.

ForeverYoung

Reaction score
i should wear dark grey trousers to the wedding? would it look wierd to have a black jacket with grey trousers? what about the ties, those are the things i'm most unsure about. thanks.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If you already have the clothes mentioned, then that's fine, but solid shirts make for much easier pairing for slacks / tie. Personally I'm not well-versed in pairing black with ties.

For both club and wedding, I would advocate keeping it simple. Solid, or a 2-color striped tie, or maybe polka dots. A burgundy or crimson tie with white dots might do the trick for both occasions. For the club, you might look for a navy tie with narrow pink stripes, or crimson/gold. Be sure that your shirt and tie don't have similar-width stripes, if you go that route.

The best advice I can give you is this: when going to the store, wear what you plan on pairing your purchase with, and then test-drive like mad. Oh, and go for charcoal - or lighter color - trousers. Don't sweat the shirt cuffs.

Best of luck with midterms.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally (I'm 25), I think a tie without a jacket can make you look like a highschool kid trying to dress up. (The only time I do it is casual Xmas parties where I can't resist wearing a zany Xmas tie.) How about the black blazer + shirt with an open collar + jeans (preferrably dark and slim) for clubbing? If you must wear a tie, I'd keep the collar open and make the tie knot messy (I won't go so far as to say "big"): the I-just-got-off-work-and-went-straight-to-the-club-look. As for the wedding: good luck!
confused.gif

ForeverYoung

Reaction score
Well it's not exactly clubbing it's more of a dance. Normally I would rock the club wearing the blazer, dress shirt and trendy jeans, but I was told not to show up in jeans, thus the black slacks. Yea I kinda agree with you on the tie and no jacket. Maybe I'll just wear the dress shirt, unbuttoned coller no tie, still looks sharp imo.

What about the tie for the wedding? Still not sure what kind of tie really pairs with a pale pink shirt that would compliment the black blazer. Also, can I get some more opinions on different colored trousers compared to the jacket? I'm used to matching the two but would it be cool to something like charcoal or dark grey trousers? Shopping in 2 hours, help! =)

southbound35

Reaction score
As suggested above, I'd take the black jacket and pink shirt to the store(s) with you and let your eyes be your guide for your tie selection. If you've got a stylish female friend, ask her to help you pick a good outfit. I think a medium or charcoal grey pant would look best with the black jacket; the charcoal would be more versatile for other outfits, so that might be the best way to go for pants.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by southbound35
As suggested above, I'd take the black jacket and pink shirt to the store(s) with you and let your eyes be your guide for your tie selection. If you've got a stylish female friend, ask her to help you pick a good outfit. I think a medium or charcoal grey pant would look best with the black jacket; the charcoal would be more versatile for other outfits, so that might be the best way to go for pants.

be careful with the "stylish female friend". you could end up looking very amjack if you do that.

i prefer charcoal over black almost every time. although i do have some black items.

ForeverYoung

Reaction score
Found some nice charcoal trousers and dress belt. Was reminded again to wear a tie tomorrow, so I'm gonna wear the shirt and look around tomorrow and try to pull off the unbottoned collar and loose tie look, any specifics on how to pull it off, you think that'll be ok? Prob gonna try to find a baby blue subtly textured tie. Thanks for all the help guys.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ForeverYoung
I'm gonna try to pull off the unbottoned collar and loose tie look, any specifics on how to pull it off?

It's best to employ a FIH knot for that look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics