• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need some recs for tailoring in DC...

bar_matt

Reaction score
Is there anyone that can recommend a good spot in DC (or NoVa) for getting some of my shirts taken in? I also need to get some jeans hemmed, and some suits worked on. Is there one tailor anyone recommends? Or should I search out several people for the different jobs? Thanks.

flatsixcrazy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bar_matt
Is there anyone that can recommend a good spot in DC (or NoVa) for getting some of my shirts taken in? I also need to get some jeans hemmed, and some suits worked on. Is there one tailor anyone recommends? Or should I search out several people for the different jobs? Thanks.

For minor items, I use Sun Tailor in Tysons Galleria and for more critical work, I use Will Field of Field Tailors? in Georgetown. Good luck. Andy

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think most people on here will agree that Field is the place to go for real tailoring needs. He is the best in town, but he is also expensive.

CliffClavin

Reaction score
Field's is consistently mentioned as one of the best around the DC area. The wait is a bit longer than some other tailors and I have heard the price is significantly higher although I have not seen actual number comparisons.

Anyone have any comments regarding cost of suit alterations there?

mikej77

Reaction score
I am waiting to pick up a Black Label I dropped off at Field's a few weeks ago, I will post how that goes. I recently got some jeans hemmed at Hamza Simrick 574 South 23rd Street, Arlington (703-521-6909) at the recommendation of the guys at Farinellis. He did a great job on the jeans.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CliffClavin
Anyone have any comments regarding cost of suit alterations there?

It obviously varies depending on what you have altered, but he is quite expensive. I can't remember exact numbers, but just call him and ask for quotes.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will is not transparent in his pricing. I think he would tell you if you pressed him on it. He differs from a lot of tailors in that he will tell you what you should have done rather than asking you what you want done. When I drop something off with him, I know that it will be expensive and it will be worth it.

rick1977

Reaction score
Field won't alter your shirts; you'll have to go elsewhere for that.

bobbers

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bar_matt
Or should I search out several people for the different jobs?

I'm currently trying that strategy to find a basic tailor in DC for things like hem/cuff pants. Anything beyond simple things like that I would take it to William Field. So far I can give a thumbs down to C&Y Custom Tailor in Cleveland Park. I have a couple things at Do's Custom Tailor in Georgetown that I'm waiting on.

ColeFieldHouse

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bobbers
I'm currently trying that strategy to find a basic tailor in DC for things like hem/cuff pants. Anything beyond simple things like that I would take it to William Field. So far I can give a thumbs down to C&Y Custom Tailor in Cleveland Park. I have a couple things at Do's Custom Tailor in Georgetown that I'm waiting on.

Do's was a touch pricey but did a very fine job on a handful of shirts I had taken in (and sleeves slimmed). I would use them again, though I wouldn't go out of my way to use them.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do's is okay. He's a nice guy and does a decent enough job. He doesn't have a real understanding for certain looks, though. You really have to push him to get things exact, and I've had to have him redo things a few times. His prices are not crazy, but they are probably too much for what you get.

I've started using Sauro Custom Tailor for simpler jobs I don't feel like taking to Field. Sauro is probably the second best tailor in the city after Field, and his prices are considerably better than Field for simple jobs, like hemming and sleeve shortening. He will also take in a shirt, which someone said Field does not do.

Sauro has a nice history in the city and is semi-retired, working only three days a week.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Post some prices you guys paid at Field's, Sauro's and others. That way, we know what to expect.

I've used Kim's Tailoring at Pentagon City, Brooks Brothers in Friendship Heights and J. Press. I haven't had anything too extensive done (relative to some on this site) but Kim's has always done a perfect job. The problem is, she's expensive. $35 to tailor a shirt (I had them recut really slim) and about $185 to tailor a whole suit, sometimes more. I'll look up some receipts.

bar_matt

Reaction score
Also, I have at least one suit that I bought a while back, and have since lost some weight. It's a Calvin Klein suit, wasn't too pricey. Is it worth it to have someone like Field's alter a suit like that? or should I save some $$$ and go elsewhere, leaving Field's for the nicer stuff?

satorstyle

Reaction score
I've had excellent results from Melvin's Custom Tailors at 1317 F st NW. His prices are reasonable and he does high end work as well. I just had a brown blue label Ralph Lauren cut down two sizes with wonderful results, he also does some of the most beautiful hand sewn button holes I've seen. He only issue is unless you pay for an item to be rushed it can be some time for certain alterations. Also he normally doesn't get to his shop until 11:30 or noon

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use Melvin too, and think he is great, although be warned, he is a bit cantankerous. Do not expect a lot of "yes sir, may I say you look wonderful in that jacket, sir" sort of chatter.

But Melvin really knows his stuff and is not expensive. I've had him pull in the shoulders on a suit, and actually had him fix a suit that I had had altered at Fields, when Fields took it in so much it squeezed at the waist and made me look like I was wearing a size too small.

Strange guy, though. His shop used to be on the streetfront (it's now in the back of a lobby) but he said he moved it inside because too many customers kept coming in.

Christopher Kim also does excellent work, but is expensive.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads