Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Need some quirky socks

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Philip1209, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Philip1209

Philip1209 Well-Known Member

Hello all, I like to wear interesting socks on occasion. Typically I wear fun ones with jeans and oxfords- it makes the look more hip and young. Can you suggest some interesting (but not too ostentatious) socks for me to pick up? Blue socks would be preferred. Here are some examples/guidelines: Mellow: (Ralph Lauren argyle socks) [​IMG] Good: (Paul Smith) [​IMG] A Bit Crazy: (Paul Smith) [​IMG]

2. Davidko19

Davidko19 Senior member

i get almost all my socks at gap or BR. They are cheap and they have some interesting designs. I just cant picture myself paying more than $10 for a pair of socks!

3. Philip1209

Philip1209 Well-Known Member

I try to avoid Gap and BR- they have nice stuff but lack style in my eye.

Lacoste had some cool socks that I own but can't manage to find a picture on the internet to share.

4. topbroker

topbroker Senior member

There have been other threads on this subject here and at AAAC, also posts at A Suitable Wardobe and other blogs. Some ideas (not all of which I have personal experience with, but they get mentioned in this context): Richard James, Pantherella, Ben Silver, Gallo, Carolina Artisans, Dore Dore, Gene Meyer, Marcoliani, Ovadafut, Bresciani.

5. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

i get almost all my socks at gap or BR. They are cheap and they have some interesting designs. I just cant picture myself paying more than $10 for a pair of socks!

+1 on BR. I've got three or four pairs of socks from BR that are somewhat similar to your first Paul Smith example. The striping is a little less detailed, but still they're very good for the money.

6. topbroker

topbroker Senior member

You can also find some very colorful OTC socks at GolfKnickers.com, quite reasonably priced.

7. Zachgranstrom

Zachgranstrom Senior member

8. Casey

Casey Senior member

I have some Happy Socks and I love them, but I hate how you have to air dry them because once you dry them, they're ruined. I think they also run small, although the larger size fits me perfectly and I'm a shoe size 41 (I've lost track of my US size).

I live right next to a Barneys outlet store so I know it's not plausible for everyone to go to one, but they always have Barneys branded socks in multicolor designs, and occasionally, they go on sale. I've gotten them 3 pairs for $18 before, and I still wear them after nearly two years because they've held up that long.

9. topbroker

topbroker Senior member

I have some Happy Socks and I love them, but I hate how you have to air dry them because once you dry them, they're ruined. I think they also run small, although the larger size fits me perfectly and I'm a shoe size 41 (I've lost track of my US size).

I live right next to a Barneys outlet store so I know it's not plausible for everyone to go to one, but they always have Barneys branded socks in multicolor designs, and occasionally, they go on sale. I've gotten them 3 pairs for $18 before, and I still wear them after nearly two years because they've held up that long.

It's interesting that generally, the more expensive the socks, the fewer wearings they'll take. So they can be a luxury item indeed.

10. viator

viator Senior member

11. schlager

schlager Member

There's some ovadafut socks listed in the buy sell forum recently.

12. w.o.e.is.me.

w.o.e.is.me. Senior member

13. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

I do well at Filene's and Uniqlo.

14. word

word Senior member

+1 on BR. I've got three or four pairs of socks from BR that are somewhat similar to your first Paul Smith example. The striping is a little less detailed, but still they're very good for the money.

I have those striped BR socks too. They are getting more difficult to find right now. All they seem to have are argyle these days. I'm bored of argyle socks. ugh.

Thanks for the happy socks link, been looking for a new batch of socks.

15. TonyThe Tailor

TonyThe Tailor Senior member