• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need some help with winter essentials

pokey07

Reaction score
So I'm trying to make this the first winter where I'm prepared for the weather. There's a couple items I need and I'm open to more suggestions. My jeans for the winter are Rescues, RRDS, SSDS, and maybe 501s for crappy days. What I need is a cropped peacoat(black or charcoal) and I need some boots that arent as clunky as the Tims I usually wore. I would like them to fit rather easily on the boot. I think I'm leaning towards brown boots (i need them to be fairly versatile). Also a pair around 150 - 200 would be great. Anyone who can help me find these things? And what else is essential for winter?

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems as if everyone on this board is singing the praises of the Redwings. Definitely a step up from Tims.

875.jpg

Schnurretiger

Reaction score
Gloves, scarf, some sort of cap, if you are outside a lot: some thick/warm socks, nice sweater or pullover. Remember: The boots should not have a leather sole. Maybe some RM Williams or simply Roper Boots?

pokey07

Reaction score
I like Red Wings, especially the Iron Ranger, they just look too big. I like my jeans to go around my laces and rest on top of the boot.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Need I say it? Clarks Desert Boots.

pharrow59

Reaction score
crepe sole=no traction in snow. -1 btw, they're desert boots--made for british soldiers in the middle east/north africa. not exactly new england winter.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
^lol exactly, hence the name

pokey07

Reaction score
Yeah I have two pairs of desert boots, and I suppose they'd be fine as long as there's no snow. But to see my town without snow in the winter would be pretty impossible.

Edit: what about cropped pea coats? Where could I look for that? I've only found 1, and it's $400+. Being on a college student budget I can't spend nearly that much.

pokey07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakfasteatre
a guy is testing interest on some hickey peacoats for 180. The hickey items i have a really great, and really slim, im not sure how cropped they will be, but i wouldnt doubt they would be fashion forward

check it out in the buysell

Thank you, I actually just checked that out. I'm definitely looking for a shorter pea coat though. I just returned one that was slim fitting but longer, and it just doesn't have the casual feel to it that I'm looking for.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Seriously? Hmm, I only wear them in colder weather, with or without snow. Then again I don't exactly slosh around in the snow banks and shovel snow in them either. Strictly city sidewalks and parking lots.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pharrow59
crepe sole=no traction in snow.

btw, they're desert boots--made for british soldiers in the middle east/north africa. not exactly new england winter.

So... only Brit soldiers in the desert can wear them?

pharrow59

Reaction score
yeah, and only guys in the navy can wear peacoats and only lumberjacks can wear loggers.

i was just pointing out their original use as a warm climate boot.

frankster

Reaction score
Finding a pair of boots for those of us who live in areas that get a lot of snow is quite hard. Boots that are more ''stylish'' usually get destroyed by calcium, they're usually not that waterproof and not that warm to wear. On the other hand boots that do resist winters well usually look like they belong to a lumberjack...

I'm still on a quest myself to find the perfect pair of boots to withstand Montreal's harsh winters.

What to avoid:
- lace-ups - might as well just wear shoes...
- Suede or other flimsy materials (calcium will destroy the material and they tend to leak). In my opinion leather is still the best way to go.
- Even though they're stylish, desert boots won't stand a week in the snow.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads