• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Need some help with winter essentials

braidkid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brutus
Tell her they'll outlast you. And if she's an Obama supporter tell her they're made in the US.

What if she's a McCain/Palin supporter? Is he just shit out of luck?

Robert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by korce
I wore desert boots through a lot of last winter (in Toronto) in rain, snow, slush, etc. and they have held up surprisingly well. I have black suede ones, and waterproofed them once when I first bought them. While not super-warm, the crepe sole does a good job of insulating against the cold ground, so the cold from the sidewalk doesn't transfer easily into the shoe.

They're not perfect from a traction perspective - but they have certainly stood up to the snow & rain and I'm still wearing the same pair on a regular basis.

With that said, I'm not afraid to throw on my old school leather sorels (with the faux shearling cuff) if it's really snowy out. Those have stood the test of time, I've had them for probably 10 years now and still going strong.

Yeah, when I was a student at Iowa, I wore them all over campus during the winter. I just waterproofed the hell out of them and they held up great. As you say, the crepe sole is a good insulator, and with a good thick pair of socks, they were warm. Again, nothing I'd shovel snow in, but good for hoofing it on city streets.

phildo

Reaction score
think the distressed leather desert boot would hold up well for winter?

Robert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, why wouldn't it?

Brutus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by braidkid
What if she's a McCain/Palin supporter? Is he just shit out of luck?

I was playing the odds...he lives on the upper east side.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by frankster
I don't know where exactly the OP is from in New England, but this is what we deal with on a regular basis in Montreal (New England's weather is similar I hear):

Those boots you're suggesting look good, but I don't think they're appropriate for snow...

I live in Boston and it doesn't get anywhere near that bad. Holy shit. Perhaps parts of Western Mass and maybe if you go up towards Maine... but damn son, that's excessive.

phildo

Reaction score
lol that doesn't even look that bad to me. Maybe about 20cm fallen on that day already? Yeah thats a decent storm, but where I used to live could get 60 or 70cm of snow in one day.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those frye loggers look diesel as all hell but you need to make sure that the midsole is waterproof also. I have the columbia boots which are amazing in the snow but definitely not stylish.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

• Classic Leather Low-Top

• Canvas Plimsoll

• Leather Slip-On

• Canvas Slip-On

• Athletic Kicks

• Leather High-Top

Results are only viewable after voting.