• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

need some help with a wedding outfit

johnzm

Reaction score
this is my first post! I am hoping you guys can give me some help. i am going crazy looking for what i want, and pretty much blue collar mentality so my ideas might be a little "off" haha.

so first off the wedding is not extremely formal. I am not wearing a suit or a tux, but I would like to look good and have some nice clothes. the rules set by the wife to be, is that olive and brown would be acceptable. so using that, i am imagining an olive shirt, dark brown pants and possibly a vest and a tie of a color i am not sure about.

I have picked up a pair of peter millar pants that use a mink color loro piona super 130 fabric, and they are currently being tailored.

my next plan was to pickup an olive shirt, but i cannot currently find that. i was told the color is a fall color and that it would be on shelves in a few weeks.

i am considering these shoes, but have not bought anything yet.

http://www.shoes.com/en-US/Product/EC1304896-5173146/BED;STU/Mocha+Dirty+Veg/Men's+Ellington.aspx

I am not sure if a vest is proper attire without a suit, and if so, i am still unsure of french cuffs or not.

please help me out, i dont wanna look like a dummy on "the day" !

deandbn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Well John, I am not sure if i should even answer this, but...

I hope you are not seriously thinking of wearing an Olive shirt to your wedding, no not in my opinion ever. Let you wife worry about her dress, which i assume would be white. and you worry about your clothing.

So...
1. Wear a white shirt to go with her dress.
2.. Dark Blue or Navy or medium to dark grey suit medium notch lapel with 2 buttons.
3. Black shoes preferably lace up with dark socks
4. a nice small patterned tie in a fairly dark colour to go with your suit (no, not olive either).
5. White folded cotton pocket square.
6. Good haircut.

And when you look at your pics for years afterwards, you will say Wow, look how good i looked on my wedding day.

and before you ask, an outfit like i suggested is not 'formal' it is just 'normal'

and dont make your grooms follow any colour copy regime either, just normal suits and ties like you. and it will all be great.

johnzm

Reaction score
Is this your wedding or just a wedding you're attending? Definitely do not wear a vest or a tie without a jacket. Also an olive shirt is unlikely to be flattering.

my wedding.

did i waste money on the pants? I just purchased a grey suit/white shirt for another wedding, that i am a groomsman in.

any other ideas that i might be able to actually use the pants i bought?

by the way, the wedding dress was originally bought with the idea of a wedding on the beach. i have not seen it but was told that i would be a good match in linen pants and a button down shirt. i am somewhat against wearing a jacket for this very reason.

by the way thanks for the replies, i am trying to get as many ideas as i can get

Last edited:

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Read StyleForum 101 on groomsmen attire, and the link contained therein to Manton's speech on attire for grooms. But really, it's your wedding, so you should do what you want. However, if you're coming here, everyone will tell you to wear a suit and tie. If you don't want to do that, then that's fine, but you're so far away from what most here would consider appropriate clothes for a wedding guest, much less the groom, that our advice to you is pretty much irrelevant.

Last edited:

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So is the wedding definitely on a beach? If it is anywhere but a beach, I would go with a dark suit and tie like everyone else suggested. On a beach, you can still wear a suit. You can get a light-colored suit made of linen or cotton. I would not wear a vest without a jacket, since it is likely you will be picking up a vest with an "unfinished" back that is meant to be worn with a jacket.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i dont wanna look like a dummy on "the day" !

The MC forum consists of folks who intend to look as good as possible while wearing a jacket, suit, tuxedo, or morning coat. I'm afraid you won't find much love for anything below those standards... especially on what many consider to be the most important day of their lives.

If you feel your bride's dress isn't sufficiently fancy to go up against a suit, you might consider the advice provided here (also found if you scroll to the bottom, click "All Articles" on the right, find the articles about what groomsmen should wear, and look at Further Reading: Wedding Attire. You've done that already, yes?). That article is pointed more toward guests than participants -- let alone the groom -- but if you're after sand-in-your-toes instead of dress-to-the-nines you could do far worse.

johnzm

Reaction score
i just convinced her to let me wear a grey suit and a white shirt with a grey vest and a "wedding tie" that matches the color of the wedding.

am i doing a bit better now?

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i just convinced her to let me wear a grey suit and a white shirt with a grey vest and a "wedding tie" that matches the color of the wedding.

Yes, but why does she have to "let" you wear anything? Did you pick out her wedding dress for her?

johnzm

Reaction score
Yes, but why does she have to "let" you wear anything? Did you pick out her wedding dress for her?

haha!

the way i see it, im just there for her. its her day. and yes I know im a big boy and can (hardly, apparently) dress myself, but id rather her be happy and less stressed about whats coming up, than the other way around.

now, what can i do with these pants ive just bought

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
haha!

the way i see it, im just there for her. its her day. and yes I know im a big boy and can (hardly, apparently) dress myself, but id rather her be happy and less stressed about whats coming up, than the other way around.

now, what can i do with these pants ive just bought
Do you need to wear dress pants to work? You could also wear them when going out to a restaurant, paired with a blazer or sportcoat.

johnzm

Reaction score
Do you need to wear dress pants to work? You could also wear them when going out to a restaurant, paired with a blazer or sportcoat.

i wear khakis and polo shirts to work, these pants were north of 250 dollars. a little overkill? :p but i do like the idea of the other suggestions..

by the way thanks for all the suggestions, even if they were generally thread crapping LOL. after reading some, i agree with most of the replies, however. and after seeing that horrible picture of all of the guys wearing the blue wedding outfits LOL.

anyways, it sounds like a sportcoat purchase is going to be happening soon so i can have a more casual outfit with those pants. any other ideas to match something up with these pants

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you don't have a navy sportcoat, that is the standard place to start. Extremely versatile, goes with everything. If you want something different, having not seen you nor your pants it's a little hard to make a recommendation. But look around and see what you like and maybe you'll find some inspiration.

jsanders65

Reaction score
don't wear olive, it looks dull for weddlins. wear something in blue or a pop color.

deandbn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

You doing a whole lot better John :slayer:

Don't convince her of anything, and no, it is not 'her' day, it is just as much your day as well.

Also try find a better place to get married than the beach, you can go swim there anytime you like, but beaches are not generally appropriate places to get married. There is no electricity, water supply, toilets, furniture, or sanitary places for food preparation.

Yes I know people have had weddings on beaches, but you don't really want to be one of them do you? It is all really very third rate, I mean do you really want the ladies in the wedding party slopping around bare footed on the beach. I mean just imagine your bride arriving barefoot in her wedding dress looking rather awkward and ungainly holding her dress up in both hands squelching through the sand. Not cool my friend!! Not very elegant or ladylike either!! or your guests laying around in the sand.

No, definite re-think required. :embar:

Oh, and don't let your best man pay for your honeymoon suite as a gift. They usually put rotten eggs mixed with paper confetti in between the sheets and you will have to endure the humiliation of calling the hotel staff to come change your bed while you both try to wash the egg yoke off your legs in the shower. Also not cool!! :nodding:

besides... It doesn't set the tone for a good night of sex. :D

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads