• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need some help-Shoes + Tie for Dark Charcoal Suit

okazaki

Reaction score
I need suggestions for shoes and and ties (mostly shoes) that will look decent with a pretty dark charcoal. The suit is close to this shade: http://debenhams.scene7.com/is/image...68?$ProdLarge$ I'm wearing them primarily for interviews at pretty conservative organizations. Shoes, I'd prefer to keep <$300. It's also important that I be able to try them on first (I'm kind of short on time, so can't be shipping things back and forth), so any labels I might be able to find at higher-end department stores (Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, Barney's, etc.). I tried on some AEs a few days ago, but they seemed uncomfortably narrow at the widest part of my foot. (Is this something that usually goes away with wear, or are AEs intended for the narrower-footted folk?) Thanks for any tips.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try different widths and lasts for AE. The last the park and fifth avenues are on is AE's narrowest, so if those are the ones you tried, it should be easy enough to find something.

As for ties, whatever. Dots, regimental stripes, just a nice conservative tie. Anything will go with charcoal.

okazaki

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Try different widths and lasts for AE. The last the park and fifth avenues are on is AE's narrowest, so if those are the ones you tried, it should be easy enough to find something.

As for ties, whatever. Dots, regimental stripes, just a nice conservative tie. Anything will go with charcoal.

Thanks for the help. Ended up with a pair of AE Park Avenues. Went up in width and they felt great.

Now a tie question-

What are some thoughts on monochromatic?

I have a black tie with white microdots. From a few feet away, it looks grey, maybe a shade or two lighter than the suit itself. Is this so boring that it should be avoided? If not, is it bad that they do not appear to be identical shades of grey?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads