• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need some help guys.... Semi Formal to attend

davis98

Reaction score
Hey guys, I need some help for an upcoming semi-formal. Its a university thing, so I'm not counting on the majority of the guys being all that well dressed. Looking for some input as to what I should wear. I will be meeting her friends for the first time so I'd like to make a good impression

Please ignore the fact that im wearing jeans and my shirt isn't tucked in. I won't be wearing a tie and will be wearing this blazer.

Classic white, a little boring but looks great with this blazer, the shirt is nicely made as well but not very fitted.
dsc02417dj9.jpg

My favorite shirt of the two, french cuffs and nicely cut. Im just not sure it works with this blazer. Without the blazer, this is definetly my favorite shirt.
http://img83.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc02420rk6.jpg

So what would you guys do? Get a new shirt, if so what color? Stick with the white or go with the patterned one?

Also, for shoes would you go with Adidas Sambas or stick with a traditional dress shoe? I think Sambas might be kinda cool, but maybe a little much? I'll be wearing plain black dress pants.

Thanks for you input guys!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shirt doesn't work with the jacket. You've got dark + dark, which is tricky to do at best, and wide pattern + wide pattern. A pinstriped odd jacket really isn't kosher, so you're sort of out of the Rules with this one. In any case, plain black pants are going to look quite out of place with a pinstriped jacket (it's not a blazer.)

If you're set on the jacket, I'd take it farther in the streetwear direction, since you're already breaking the Rules. I'd wear some dark, slimish jeans, a white shirt, a tie (skinny black, perhaps, I'd have to think about it though) and dress shoes.

Basically, though, this is all academic. The girls will probably be so amazed by the fact that you managed to put on a jacket that they won't notice or be able to distinguish anything else. So, essentially, any effort you put into your outfit beyond that will accomplish only a couple of things: a.) create an overal improvement in your look that probably won't be that great and will come off as sort of an ineffable smartness about you or b.) get a compliment from that one girl in the group (who may or may not exist) who wears Diane von Furstenberg and APC, or at least know what they are.

Now, the degree to which a.) comes into play is very relative. For example, going from an AmJack uniform (stripey shirt, chinos, square-toes) to what you're planning will create a significant improvement in the eyes of college girls. However, going from what you're planning to what we might suggest, though it would be almost equal improvement in the eyes of the members of StyleForum, would probably create a much smaller difference in the eyes of college girls.

That was probably a hell of a lot more than you wanted to read, but that's sort of how I've felt everytime someone asks about dressing for a school party and I just wanted to finally articulate it.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would you say the white shirt makes it a little too formal, or does it depend on the white shirt and this one might?

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are in college, so remember to have fun first and foremost. Don't get too hung up over the rules, as I doubt most of the other attendees will know the 'rules' anyway.

I personally wouldn't pair the patterned shirt with the striped jacket. If that is the only jacket you own, I would do that with a pair of dark denim, white shirt, skinny tie like EA said.

What do you have for shoes? I personally wouldn't do the Sambas, but it may work for you. Do you have any dress shoes? I'd probably go with ankle boots - if you always wanted a pair but don't own any, this may be an excuse to pick some up.

coachvu

Reaction score
I think the jacket will look strange with anything but jeans; as already stated, it's not a blazer. Also, I would never wear any sort of sneakers to a semi-formal event.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sambas would look good with that jacket and dark jeans, wouldn't they? If any sneakers would?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
Sambas would look good with that jacket and dark jeans, wouldn't they? If any sneakers would?

Sort of. But Chelsea boots would look better. They wouldn't cry "preppy" or "stiff," would subtly dress up the outfit, and chicks would dig it.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The stripes on that jacket are sparkly, aren't they? In which case, you'd best treat it like velvet and go fashion full forward as the other members recommend. Sambas and black trousers are not trying hard enough. A white shirt with French Cuffs would be nice and do you guys think he could pull off a pleated shirt from the other "semi-formal"? Dark, slim jeans; skinny tie (perhaps that black grenadine that we're all supposed to own?); and the sexiest shoes you can find to complete the look. And don't forget your pocket square!

cpac

Reaction score
I think it could look great, but I'd unbutton one more button on the shirt.

THat will help break up some of the white wasteland we're currently seeing, and look properly casual.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm strongly in favour of the white shirt, jeans, and ankle boots with that jacket. A white silk pocket square, puffed, could also work, I think.

I don't like ties with jeans, although this may be a personal idiosyncracy.

davis98

Reaction score
Hey again... thanks for all your input so far!

I really wanted to wear jeans as my shoes are brown and look kinda silly with black pants. I do have another jacket, its brown and grey, but she is wearing a black dress and told/asked me to wear the black jacket.

The stripes aren't sparkly but they do kinda look it sometimes, this is a close-up of the fabric
3ya0.jpg

I've tried on a black tie, didn't really like it, heres a pic...
1rb8.jpg

Without a tie...
2oa5.jpg

Where could I get a pocket square? I have another pair of jeans, nudies, that are newish and still really dark, would I be better off with them?

In case you couldnt already tell, Im more into the streetwear side of things, so thanks again for all the help guys!

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Drop the tie, unbutton the shirt another button and use the smaller cuff buttons if you've got them on that shirt. I lean toward the darker jeans, but haven't seen them, obvs.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Darker jeans would probably look better, yes. You should check with her that jeans are okay, though.
confused.gif
From what little I can see, the shoes look good! The tie would look better in a silk knit (grenadine or ottoman), but it still might not look great. What's your timeline? Can somebody suggest somewhere better than a dept store for a basic pocket square? PS: The cuff isn't showing straight, is there something weird going on?

davis98

Reaction score
I told her I was going to wear jeans and she told me "go for it" I'm probably going to end up being the only one there in jeans and look like a total knob, but who cares right? I'm either the guy who cant match his jacket to his pants with brown shoes or the guy with jeans.

The cuffs on the shirt are fine, I'm always pulling it down as the sleeves on the jacket are just a tiny bit long.

Heres a pic of my other jeans, I dont really want to wear them as they are dry denim. Will they stain my dress shoes as they have every other pair of shoes I own?
Please ignore the stupid look on my face
laugh.gif

2bd2.jpg

My other blazer er sorry jacket... whats the differnce?
1ke1.jpg

Close up of my shoes, I don't care if you guys don't like them cuz they are the only pair I have
tounge.gif

4mh9.jpg

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by davis98
4mh9.jpg

What, are they going to stain those lighter?! (They look good, what are they, anyway?) The black jacket + raw jeans is the best combo so far. But WTF's with the polo shirt?! :p PS: I would recommend your next sportcoat not be striped.
biggrin.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads