1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Need Some Dress Sandals or Shoes For Work

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Whitechapel, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Whitechapel

Whitechapel Member

Hello,

Let me say first and foremost that I have 0 fashion sense. I'm also color blind, so I have no idea what looks good with what. At any rate, I work in a professional environment which requires professional dress. Dress pants/collared shirt. Yesterday we got an email about the summer dress enstatement so I can wear shoes or sandals. I love sandals, so I figured I'd shoot for those over shoes. At some point I want to replace the shoes I have now, they're old and smell horribly. Anyway, I was looking for recommendations on sandals and shoes that look good with khakis and I wear greyish-black pants sometimes as well. I'll be back for more advice on clothes but for right now I'd like the advice on professional shoes and sandals. Also, if you could recommend some great professional shorts, that would be great too. No frays, must reach at least the top of my knees. I'm a size 36 waist, and my shoe size is a 9.

Thanks everyone!

2. cioni2k

cioni2k Senior member

There is no such thing as professional sandals or shorts. You will find no love here on SF about this.

Just wear lightweight pants, I could never imagine wearing shorts to work let alone sandals

3. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

:crazy:

4. Larson McCord

Larson McCord Senior member

The sandals were probably directed at the women at your workplace. There are no dress sandals for men

5. DKSnider

DKSnider Active Member

No one you work with should ever see your toes or your nipples... Maybe a decent pair of loafers or boat shoes?

6. otc

otc Senior member

the sandals ruling is for women

sorry bro

7. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

Only if you're on a three hour tour with Ginger and Maryanne.

8. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Linen Pants > Shorts

Sandals are for the beach/pool.

9. emc894

emc894 Senior member

If you wear sandals to work, you will look like Dwight from the office. Definitely just go with loafers for casual shoes.

10. oldog/oldtrix

oldog/oldtrix Senior member

11. NORE

NORE Senior member

5 star thread.

12. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

Definitely these. Definitely.

[​IMG]

13. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

They're nice (and I'm wearing a pair right now) but they don't keep you cooler than shorts. They can be worn in a professional setting, and that's important for the OP.

OP, linen pants and camp mocs or boat shoes with no socks, though the mocs or boat shoes may be stretching it. Loafers with socks is probably as far as I would go. Stay away from Over the calf socks, I have some crew length socks in argyles that I really like in warmer weather.

14. NORE

NORE Senior member

:rotflmao:

15. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

What type of office, what type of work? Does anyone else wear shorts? Are they further up the ladder than you? Unless the answer to the last question is "yes," put shorts forever out of your mind.

Don't wear sandals.

16. Whitechapel

Whitechapel Member

Thanks everyone for your responses so far.

I work in a call center, I work for the largest tax and accounting software provider in the world. I just landed the job back in September, so I do tech support right now for some of our software. I've seen other people wear shorts. But you have to understand I work with a lot of very smart, eccentric people. With that comes people who dress oddly simply because they're higher up, yet they still adhere to our strict dress code. And by higher up I mean they have more value to the company than other people do. Consider me the lowest with the exception of interns (obviously). That is why I came here, I take work dress extremely seriously. For example, during our 4-month busy season we have to sometimes work on Saturdays. And on Saturdays you can dress however you want, I still refused to dress down. Work is work, and I have it engraved it my head that when I got my first real job, I would start dressing completely professional, because that is how you're supposed to dress. At any rate, I will not be at this job for ever, this was a fantastic first job out of college and I learned volumes about professionalism and work ethic, but I will not be with them forever. It's nice and all, but honestly it's not what I want to completely do. Plus it is tech support, you know? :) But I will say that I get to work with some of the most cutting edge technology out there, it's pretty fantastic. I should also mention I will be working with computers in my career. I have a degree in computer engineering, and I have a serious passion for technology. So I'm looking to get into the IT business, it's just hard to when this job is just too ridiculously good to me right now. Not to say I don't deal with systems issues right now, because I do. A lot of people see "call center" and begin laughing at me. I'm like "...if only you knew the half of it." We're not in some call center with a bunch of idiots (Verizon anyone? AT&T?) who have no idea what they're doing and are just reading off a script, this is a job where you HAVE to have systems and some tax experience to even get in the door, along with a degree obviously. The only thing I am forced to say is "thank you for calling", which I usually do anyway because the people are so grateful for helping them. It's pretty damned awesome. For working for a call center, they treat me pretty damned great. :)

So...new shoes. I've seen boat shoes suggested. I'm not sure if there has been any others for now suggested. My next biggest problems: what colors and what kinds? Like I said I know nil about fashion. I wear a lot of khaki and dark grey/black pants, but I plan on upgrading my wardrobe as long as I have this job so when I go to my next one I'm all set and am professional regardless of attire. And I'd like something that'd look good with anything I wear, if even possible.

Thanks again for the responses, I have a busy day today so if I don't respond, I will later tonight/tomorrow.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  17. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Get some loafers, I like the look of suede myself.

Most people here will tell you to nix the black pants in favor of gray (I much prefer light and mid gray trousers to dark gray/charcoal)

IMO, brown shoes look great with gray, which is why all my shoes are brown (that and I work in a very casual environment)

18. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

Since you're new to this, avoid professional shorts. Start with office pants instead.

19. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Yeah, maybe we'll give you the full noob tour later but for now avoid shorts stick with khakies or basic "office pants" in grey. Orthodoxy says avoid black. Never wear mandals. Buy some decent shoes, at least two pairs, and rotate them. Go for two different shades of dark brown, since that sounds like it would fit the office culture better.
    It is an absolute SF meme to recommend them, but try Alen Edmonds.

Also, search "business casual" on here and spend the next 27 hours reading.

20. Whitechapel

Whitechapel Member

I just wanted to give you guys a small update. I plan on getting some boat shoes this paycheck. I don't know what color, but a lot of people are suggesting brown. I'm been looking at Sperry's. I figured I'd go to a shoe store and pick out a pair, but I was looking at the Sperry Originals. Any thoughts on this?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012