• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need some cologne help/advice.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm in need of some new cologne as I ran out about a month ago and have been without ever since. I'm always willing to try something new, but I really like certain type of scent, especially as we head into fall. I previously have worn Jack Black Silver Mark and recently tried a little Dirty English and also liked that. Both are similar scents I think. Are there other scents that are similar that I should look at? I know those are some fairly mainstream scents and there are a lot of people here who know of some more "unique" brands. Just looking for some suggestions if you have them. Thanks!

romero77

Reaction score
God there are some great ones out there just got a sample in from Tom Ford that is killer. A bit rugged with a sweet finish.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm not too familiar with the two the OP mentioned (I smelled "Dirty English" once and, I guess, wasn't impressed enough to remember what it smells like!) Can you name some others you have liked, or the general type of scents you like? That will help some of us in making some recommendations. As well, we've got TONS of fragrance or "need some cologne help/advice" threads floating around, so definitely do a search to find lots of good info. You may also want to try www.basenotes.net .It's a great resource for looking for new things, as well. Just to make two quick suggestions, perhaps Fresh Cannabis Santal or Guerlain L'instant pour homme might be ones for you to try. Another good one (that, coincidentally, I'm wearing right now) would be Richard James EdT.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It sounds like you might also want to try Tom Ford for Men, or perhaps John Varvatos. If you want something more dry and spicy, check out Hermes Bel Ami (reasonably priced of you buy on-line).

Something more niche? Frank No. 2 might be worth a try, but niche usually means more expensive and less-easily sampled, which could be troublesome.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks all. I'm horribly at picking out individual components of the overall scent, and rarely have the vocabulary to express what I find, but I'll try.

Both are woody and spicy. The Jack Black is described as having ceylon, cardamom, and cypress. The Dirty English is slightly different but also is characterized by having cardamom and the same woody/spicy quality. I find the DE to be a little more complex with a little bit more going on.

Sorry, that is the best I can do. I'll do some searching though and see what I can find.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slide13
Thanks all. I'm horribly at picking out individual components of the overall scent, and rarely have the vocabulary to express what I find, but I'll try.

Both are woody and spicy. The Jack Black is described as having ceylon, cardamom, and cypress. The Dirty English is slightly different but also is characterized by having cardamom and the same woody/spicy quality. I find the DE to be a little more complex with a little bit more going on.

Sorry, that is the best I can do. I'll do some searching though and see what I can find.

In this case, if you like the deeper, "woody/spicy" angle... then Thomas' recommendation of Tom Ford for Men is a great one.

The original Gucci Pour Homme (also by Tom Ford) might be one that you might like, too.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Creed in the gold bottle is good. If you don't want to spend that much, try RL Purple Label. If that's too expensive, there's always Stetson . . . .

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Milesime Imperial (the "gold bottle" Creed) is very nice, of course, but it might be a little citrus-y/light for what he wants, given what he described above. I love MI in summer (though not as much as Silver Mountain Water), but in cooler weather, I think it might not be as versatile for somebody wanting something a little woodier/spicier.

rapdancin

Reaction score
bulgari black is good for winter/late fall (rubbery/vanilla)
guerlain l'instant sounds like what youre describing; theres more warmth than spiciness id say tho

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. I have some sniffing to do....if I can find these around here that is. I appreciate the help!

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try Gucci pour Homme. A lot of Gucci scents are heavy and suitable for the Fall months.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads