• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

need short term wardrobe suggestions during weight loss

Bokeh

Reaction score
Currently about 1/3 of the way through my fatloss/fitness goal, still about another 30lbs of fat to go. My older clothes are starting to fit badly, and they are just getting tired looking from washes. I am looking to replace them now.

I need to freshen up my wardrobe, but I don't want to spend too much because I may need different sizes, especially in the pant waist 6 months down the road.

I live in Florida, 40 years old, and every day is casual wear; from shorts & sandals to chinos & boat shoes. I'm thinking polos should be my go to shirt for now, but I'm open for suggestions.

Im including a couple pics to show that I cant get away tucking in or with slim fit shirts, etc.. I think my gut/oblique fat is going to be the last to go.

I want to throw out my bat shoes. after a year wearing no socks, they are starting to get a slight funk to them if worn all day. In the past I've bought a shirt here and there, pants at another time, shoes on a different day. Never really planning it out for a decent casual wardrobe. Im always ending up thinking " ok, I want to wear this shirt, but then I don't have the shoes to go with some shirt/pant combo.

open for suggestions on wardrobe, color, etc. I'm looking to spend about $500 or so on clothes, and then maybe 100 on each pair of shoes, maybe two par to mix and match with everything.

I need help...

Thanks

hangthree

Reaction score
congrats on your progress.

i don't think you shoe size will change much, so if there is a good reason to pay for quality shoes now, that is it.

in terms of clothes, take stock of what you need ... business vs. casual, etc. If you need suits for work, maybe get one plain blue or grey and wear it to threads as it won't fit in a few months time. For shirts and pants, keep it simple. Maybe a handful of dress dress (3-4) and 2 pair of trousers. Again make sure any one item goes with every other item so you get the most "looks" for fewest pieces.

something like this:
white and lt blue dress shirts
white and navy polo shirts
tan and grey trousers

check out the local outlets and stick to the basics until you hit your goal weight

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoe size never change. Assuming you are not going from morbidly obese to normal.

Even then it would only be the width that changes and not the length. So you are fairly safe in that department.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm in a similar boat - brooks brothers is having summer sale now, I got a bunch of button down shirts.I got pants from Land's end, for year they are fine. you can get 5-6 shirts and 4 pair of chinos plus a new pair of shoes for 500 bucks. oh, get underwear, nothing worse than your underwear falling down.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best of luck on the weight loss. If you are willing to bump your overall budget up to $1,000.00 I'll participate further.

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your current build is not bad and if I saw you walking around, I wouldn't even think for a second that you're a big guy. You should be steering away from any overly slim clothes but you should be able to find a lot of clothes made in more fashion minded brands in your size.

Shoes should be your first priority because they will last you from now until the end of your weight loss. I'd scour the Gap and J. Crew sales racks because they have a lot of sale stuff in bigger sizes.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't buy white polo shirts. That highlights excess weight.

Dark plaid button-front shirts would be fine. For example.
Checks and also solids in medium shades. Some of the latter could be polo shirts. Contrast-collar polo shirts tend to distract better from the abdomen.

Chinos/knakis in olive and shades of brown should be fine. Maybe some linen-blend.

New shoes, of course.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads