• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need Shoes - Lots of them

jeff in vancouver

Reaction score
Okay I am about to go on a shoe shopping spree. I am looking for 3-5 pairs of shoes as I decided that I have to get rid of my rather lame habit of wearing ECCO's and J & M's all the time. The need is for Black, Burgundy and light brown. I wear suits 3-5 times a week with odd jackets and pants the other days. The suits in my rotation break down to 5 navy (some pin striped, some solid, some checked), 1 black with light pin stripe, 2 grey, 1 brown. For odd jackets, I have a blue solid, a brown hound's tooth I love, a green solid and a grey checked. Trousers in Blue, Grey, and Tan.

The black Ecco's and J & M that are ugly but wearable as I build my rotation. My Brown shoes should never be seen again except my dark brown AE Boulevards.

I am not a big fan of plane shoes, but a I think the Park Avenue in black needs to be on my list. It boring, but it will get worn.

As of the rest:

In light brown I was looking at:

1. The Webridge in Chilli (I really like the #8 last)
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...ategory=120552

2. the Clifton

3. the Evenston

4. the hale

Any recommendations on a burgundy pair?

Thoughts on the best 3 shoe selection?

I not married to AE, but they feel good on my feet, and hit the spot for price, build and style.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jeff in vancouver

Any recommendations on a burgundy pair?

They all seem like good choices, although I like the Evanston the best.

As for the burgundy...do you like wingtips? I have the AE McClain in Merlot and I love them.

jeff in vancouver

Reaction score
Yes, my dark brown AE are wingtips. The McClain may be an option. I was also thinking "why not give a loafer a try?"

sweisman

Reaction score
They are all good choices. I have the Weybridge in Chilli and Clifton in Brown. Both are great, except in person the Weybridge look like they cost twice as much as they do. A lot of guys on here don't like the broqueing along the side, but again, in person it doesn't look so substantial (IMO). The antiqued Chilli also makes quite an impression colorwise.

jeff in vancouver

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sweisman
They are all good choices. I have the Weybridge in Chilli and Clifton in Brown. Both are great, except in person the Weybridge look like they cost twice as much as they do. A lot of guys on here don't like the broqueing along the side, but again, in person it doesn't look so substantial (IMO). The antiqued Chilli also makes quite an impression colorwise.

I have to say I like the "wondering" broqueing up the side. I have not seen them in person, i likely will not until I order a pair as I scouted around bit today to see if I could find some. At least I know th last fits me well.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Clifton is on sale at endless.com and many other AE sellers for about $225.

I have the Hale, but have not worn them much for some reason. I suppose they are a little too much like other captoes I have. They do look great in merlot.

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Weybridge looks nice in pperson and always succeeds in capturing my attention whenever I am in Nordstrom. However, I must say that the Hale is now my favorite of your group. I love the look of the semi-brogue captoe. The Evanston is nice but the cap is too long for me.

Happydayz

Reaction score
I just picked up a Weybridge in Chili. Echoing other comments made earlier; they look great in person. I was a bit concerned about the broqueing in addition to the medallion but it really does work.

MellonC

Reaction score
I have the Weybridge in Black. I like it. I must admit, however, black shoes don't excite me too much. I only got it because I don't have a single black balmoral. I like the Weybridge in Brown burnished also (from photos). Does anyone have it? Can you post a picture taken under natural light?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Since when is 3-5 pairs of shoes "lots"?

This place is going to hell.

jeff in vancouver

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Since when is 3-5 pairs of shoes "lots"?

This place is going to hell.

For me buying 3-5 pairs of shoes at once is lots. Of course owning 3-5 pairs is not.

coconut

Reaction score
Stop by a Brooks or a high-end boutique if you do not already have a sense for good shoes other than Allen Edmonds. Maybe you spring for some English shoes, and if not at least you know what the fuss is about.

I do like the pics of the shoes you linked to.

Edit: I want to add that I do not mean this advice to be snobby, and my own style entails lower priced Italian shoes and AE. But this forum makes such a fuss over Crockett & Jones et al, and you can see why if you look at them up close in a store.

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
check out Alden's burgondy options. Not just their cordovan, but their calfskin. I love the color on my burgondy calfskin bals.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jeff in vancouver
For me buying 3-5 pairs of shoes at once is lots. Of course owning 3-5 pairs is not.
As it should be for any sane person. I was just kidding--at the forum's expense, not yours.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads