• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need shoes for a wedding...how should it fit?

Oofie

Reaction score
Hi, new guy here with some questions. I'm attending a wedding in a couple of months (not in the wedding party), and I need some nice dress shoes. I'm looking at the Allen Edmonds Park Avenue or Fifth Avenue. However, my main question is, how should they feel on your feet?

I ordered three pairs, 7.5E, 8D and 8E. All of them fit my feet, but the pressure points or how it wraps around my feet are very different. With the 7.5E, I can still barely stick my index finger in the back without the laces. With the 8D and 8E, it's easier without the laces tied. The 8D feels a bit cramped compared to the 8E, which feels "airy" inside. On the other hand, the 7.5E feels a bit more snug, where it kind of feels like a glove.

So I'm not really sure how they should feel on my feet. I've only had ill--fitting lace ups and some nice/decent loafers in the past. These would be my first pair of nice shoes and I just found out choosing is really difficult.

Thanks!

ajmanouk

Reaction score
Is there no way for you to go into a store and get sized there? Or perhaps visit a competent cobbler and ask them to help you with the fit. At the moment I am thinking the 7.5E sounds the best...keep in mind that the leather will stretch out a bit over time.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First of all, you should never buy online without knowing beforehand what sizing you need.
That said, I suggest the following:
Wear the socks (or an equivalent) you will be wearing to the wedding.
Undo the laces.
Use a shoehorn to put hte shoes on.
Check for some toe wiggle room. Your toes and feet need to breathe. Tight is not right.
Choose whichever size meets that criteria.
Return the other pairs.
NEVER put on or take off any laced shoe without FIRST doing or undoing the laces. They are not sneakers.
Welcome to Styleforum.

Oofie

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Yeah, I went to Nordstrom to check them out at first, and the guy told me I'm around 8-8.5D. So I tried on their shoes but wasn't really comfortable buying $300+ shoes after just wearing them for less than 5 minutes. That's why I went ahead and just ordered online for shoes within that range. Luckily, I got a good base sizing.

As far as the shoes I have right now, I've been wearing the 7.5E for about 15 minutes now and I really like their fit and feel. Toes have the wiggle room while the heel doesn't slip an awful lot. With the 8's, I can feel my feet slipping inside a bit. Looks like I'm going to keep the 7.5E.

Thanks for the tips and welcome!

ajmanouk

Reaction score
Yeah if you plan on buying future AEs or above keep in mind the different lasts. You might be an 8D in most AE lasts but a 7.5E in the 5 last. It's good that the shoes feel comfortable. Worst case scenario you can always to go a cobbler and get some sort of insert.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is not difficult. How should they fit? Comfortably!
Try on. Buy the one that fits best....go to wedding...report back.

Yachting Man

Reaction score

This is not difficult. How should they fit? Comfortably!
Try on. Buy the one that fits best....go to wedding...report back.

This pretty much. We all have different opinions on what is comfortable. Sure there is a proper way to fit shoes for someone, but at the end of the day you're the one wearing them. Pick what feels good.

Oofie

Reaction score
Well, I did go to Nordstrom to check them out first. I tried a few pairs and the guy told me I could go either 8E or 8.5D. However, I didn't want to buy a $300+ air of shoes after just wearing them for 2-3 minutes. This is where I got my base sizing. I did feel that with the 8.5D, I felt my heel and whole foot slipping, with the 8E slipping a bit also. That's why I decided to go and order these sizes and a 7.5E. With the 7.5E, I felt it a bit more snug (I wore it middle of the day, where I think my feet will be biggest) but not too tight. I can still stick my index finger in the back.

Also, with the 8.5 and even the 8, I feel the part of the shoe where the laces end, dig on the top of my feet when walking. This is almost non-existent with the 7.5E.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Well, I did go to Nordstrom to check them out first. I tried a few pairs and the guy told me I could go either 8E or 8.5D. However, I didn't want to buy a $300+ air of shoes after just wearing them for 2-3 minutes. This is where I got my base sizing. I did feel that with the 8.5D, I felt my heel and whole foot slipping, with the 8E slipping a bit also. That's why I decided to go and order these sizes and a 7.5E. With the 7.5E, I felt it a bit more snug (I wore it middle of the day, where I think my feet will be biggest) but not too tight. I can still stick my index finger in the back.

Also, with the 8.5 and even the 8, I feel the part of the shoe where the laces end, dig on the top of my feet when walking. This is almost non-existent with the 7.5E.
have you just gone barefoot in tha past and this will be your first pair of shoes?

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is not unusual with brand new cap toe shoes and will disappear once the leather has been bent a few time and became softer.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Properly.

Just go to a shop and buy there. You cannot fit shoes on the Internet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads