• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need recommendations on perfect hiking/classic fashion boots

Preston7777

Reaction score
Here is a challenge for all you boot gurus out there. I am on the search for the perfect multi-use boot, one that I could go hiking in a NP on Sunday, clean up, then wear to work at my office job Monday. My preferences are a more classic look, higher shaft, chocolate or dark brown, full grain leather, good traction, and under 300 dollars.

I previously owned a Wolverine Kilter Lacy Boot, which was great and lasted me six years, but now want something darker as my nicer cap toe service boots are a very similar color.

https://www.wolverine.com/US/en/ing...6682#cgid=men-footwear-view-all-boots&start=1

View attachment 957975

Here are some boots I am eyeing. The tremor Durashok boot would be the pragmatic choice, but I really do not like the aesthetic, modern stitching.

https://www.wolverine.com/US/en/tre...4328#cgid=men-footwear-view-all-boots&start=1

View attachment 957973

I also really like the Aesthetic of this 206 boot, but I really don't think it will be durable enough based off reviews and it being suade.

https://www.amazon.com/206-Collecti...=1523676230&sr=8-117&keywords=brown+boots+men

View attachment 957976

So I'm in a limbo between the two. I've probably spent 3 hours looking and have yet to hit the nail on the head, so it would be great to hear from any boot experts out there who have opinions on the matter.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I previously owned a Wolverine...

I'd stick with the brand you already trust, and just get a darker colour. If you really liked the last ones, get the same exact ones again and then darken them yourself with some mink fat and shoe polish.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There isn't really something that is BOTH suitable for hiking in a National Park and nice enough for office wear (business casual). If your work is super casual, I would recommended a leather hiker from Danner. Keep in mind that leather boots will be much heavier than synthetics and not as comfortable for prolonged hikes (worse thermal characteristics and less ventilation).

Preston7777

Reaction score
I'd stick with the brand you already trust, and just get a darker colour. If you really liked the last ones, get the same exact ones again and then darken them yourself with some mink fat and shoe polish.
That's great advice. I've never darkened boots before, so I will have to look into it. Thanks!

Preston7777

Reaction score
There isn't really something that is BOTH suitable for hiking in a National Park and nice enough for office wear (business casual). If your work is super casual, I would recommended a leather hiker from Danner. Keep in mind that leather boots will be much heavier than synthetics and not as comfortable for prolonged hikes (worse thermal characteristics and less ventilation).
Yeah, I was starting to think that. I was hoping to save a few bones, but I supposed I'll just have be patient and shell out a few extra to have both an office and active pair.

malligator

Reaction score
When I think of classic hiking boots I think of the Danner Mountain Light and the Merrell Wilderness. The former being big and chunky and the latter being relatively svelte by comparison. They are both about $100 above your stated budget, but they go on sale often.

MrBorland

Reaction score
There isn't really something that is BOTH suitable for hiking in a National Park and nice enough for office wear (business casual).

That's what I was thinking, at least if it involves rugged hikes.

If the hikes are more casual and you like Wolverine, I'd go with the 206s you posted. Also check out their 1000-mile line of boots, though. Looks like there are some in there that might do nicely. I have a pair of their Garrisons (no longer available) - they look and feel ok and clean up & shine really well, but this particular boot is too light for any kind of real hiking, IMO.

Also check out Redwing Heritage boots. I have no experience with them, but they generally get good reviews and seem to target the same group at the Wolverine 1000-mile boots.

Thorogood makes a good boot for the value. I have a pair of their work boots and have been happy with them. IMO, their Dodgeville boot might be worth a look.

In addition to the mentioned Thursday boots, check out boots by Oak Street Bootmakers. A bit over your budget, but nice boots, and something that'll do the (light) double duty you might be looking to do. You can likely find a pair within your budget on ebay.

If you can afford a bit more (and are willing to buy used), I think an Alden Indy boot with a Commando sole would be perfect. If you're really lucky, maybe find the Indy Commando in Shell Cordovan. I have (and love) Indy kudu boots which I love for casual hiking. A bit more rustic than the Commando Indy, though, but I got them off ebay (in excellent condition) for a little over $300. (Read up on Alden sizing before you buy, though - Indy boots run large).

Preston7777

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking, at least if it involves rugged hikes.

If the hikes are more casual and you like Wolverine, I'd go with the 206s you posted. Also check out their 1000-mile line of boots, though. Looks like there are some in there that might do nicely. I have a pair of their Garrisons (no longer available) - they look and feel ok and clean up & shine really well, but this particular boot is too light for any kind of real hiking, IMO.

Also check out Redwing Heritage boots. I have no experience with them, but they generally get good reviews and seem to target the same group at the Wolverine 1000-mile boots.

Thorogood makes a good boot for the value. I have a pair of their work boots and have been happy with them. IMO, their Dodgeville boot might be worth a look.

In addition to the mentioned Thursday boots, check out boots by Oak Street Bootmakers. A bit over your budget, but nice boots, and something that'll do the (light) double duty you might be looking to do. You can likely find a pair within your budget on ebay.

If you can afford a bit more (and are willing to buy used), I think an Alden Indy boot with a Commando sole would be perfect. If you're really lucky, maybe find the Indy Commando in Shell Cordovan. I have (and love) Indy kudu boots which I love for casual hiking. A bit more rustic than the Commando Indy, though, but I got them off ebay (in excellent condition) for a little over $300. (Read up on Alden sizing before you buy, though - Indy boots run large).

Thanks for the plethora of resources and specific suggestions. After all the great advice on this thread, I am probably going to bite the bullet and get two different boots. Probably a classic shined service boot for work and then a more rugged boot that still has a classic look for hiking, road trips, rainy casual days etc. The Alden Indy boot looks right up my alley for this latter purpose, but I may have to get a credit card to afford them lol

Preston7777

Reaction score
When I think of classic hiking boots I think of the Danner Mountain Light and the Merrell Wilderness. The former being big and chunky and the latter being relatively svelte by comparison. They are both about $100 above your stated budget, but they go on sale often.

Thanks for the advice!

ChaoSki

Reaction score
Hiking boots? I'm an avid hiker and I only use boots in the winter months. Waterpoof/snow hiking. These boots have been the best hiking boots I've ever had, no joke. I got them for $20 at Costco and they are on year 4! My wife got them too. And when I say 4 years, I'm talking White Mountains hiking in feet of snow/LOTS of abuse. They are nice and light and just need a good cushion.

https://www.amazon.com/Khombu-Terra...1524161422&sr=8-7&keywords=Khombu+Men's+boots

For Spring/summer and fall I use my Merrills or trail running/light weight shoes.

I also use them for back yard duties!!!

My teenage son has a pair too and abuses the crap out of them.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To me, a hiking boot is the equivelent of the ordinary tennis shoe with regards to stely and formality. If you wouldn't wear a tennis shoe to the office, don't wear a hiking boot. Conversely, most boots that are fashionable are not constructed with technical hiking performance in mind. And, if you're doing any serious hiking, those boots are going to get scuffed. Wearing scuffed shoes to the office makes a person look sloppy and/or lazy. Just my opinion but I don't see a boot that is a quality hiking boot that also looks good in the office.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads