• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need recommendations for stops on road trip to L.A.

jkennett

Reaction score
I'm going to leave on a road trip across the country next Sunday and figured I'd ask you all for some recommended sites to see along the way. I've checked out the recent threads on Chicago sites, and already have a thread about looking for apartments once I'm out there but this is on my mind at the moment...

I'll be stopping in the following cities: Cleveland, Chicago, Omaha, Cheyenne (or somewhere else nearby if there is a more unique or cooler option), Salt Lake City (or someplace more interesting in Utah if I can find it), Las Vegas (probably stay 2-3 days), and then end in Los Angeles.

I'd really like some recommendations on things to see in any of those places. I'm trying to show my road trip companion the best of America, since it'll probably be a once in a lifetime trip for both of us. We're both in our mid-twenties, into live music (indie rock, punk, dance, and anything else good), like art, outdoors, etc. I'll probably try to stay in Wicker Park while in Chicago, and plan on doing something like horseback riding in Wyoming. Vegas we'll probably stay on the strip and try to go to a show or something. Is that Cirque show any good there? Seems like Circus circus is too good of a deal to be true... Should I just do the Luxor or something? Thanks for any recommendations!

emptym

Reaction score
In Chicago see FL Wright's house and studio, if you like architecture.

As much as I loved NE (mainly for meeting MJK and his family), I'd go through South Dakota instead. Did that w/ a girlfriend on a trip across country and it was our favorite state. You have the Badlands and Black Hills, Mt Rushmore, Crazyhorse, Corn Palace, Wall Drug, etc.

Also, if you go that north, you can go through Yellowstone, which is amazing.

In LV, CC is probably the worst place an adult w/o kids could stay. Excaliber is better, but I'd stay at the Golden Nugget. Weekend rates are much more than weekly rates usually. Try to see the "World's Largest Gift Store" on the corner of Sahara and LV Blvd--very interesting kitch. The Cirque shows are great.

Normally I'd rec. that people see either Red Rock Canyon or Hoover Dam while in LV (the desert is gorgeous) but since you'll be driving to LV through Utah, you'll get enough of that. See Zion or Bryce in SW Utah.

Have a donut (I recommend the apple fritter) in LV at the little shop next to Olympic Garden stip club on LV Blvd (or Paradise?) and Oakey.

A great resource to have while driving is the book "Eat Your Way Across America." It's by a couple that does just that non-stop, I think. It focuses on food particular to the area and on inexpensive, non-chain restaurants.

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a stop, and off your planned route, but Interstate 70 west of Denver is a very impressive drive.

Keep several gallons of water in the trunk. If your car breaks down it might save your life.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics