• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need recommendation: iPod headphones

Don Goldstein

Reaction score
I'm not sure what is the best forum to put this question in. I purchased an iPod Nano a few weeks ago. I would like to get a pair of headphones that go in the ear and have better sound quality. I would like to spend about $70. The problem is that most of the reviews I read recommend headphones in the $200 - $500 range and I'm not willing to spend that much.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Goldstein
I'm not sure what is the best forum to put this question in. I purchased an iPod Nano a few weeks ago. I would like to get a pair of headphones that go in the ear and have better sound quality. I would like to spend about $70. The problem is that most of the reviews I read recommend headphones in the $200 - $500 range and I'm not willing to spend that much.
Two important questions: a) What sort of use are these going to be subjected to (jogging, sitting, sleeping, travel, etc) and b) What form factor do you want (in ear canal, full cans, earbuds, collapsible smaller cans, etc) My day-to-day are Sennheiser PXC 250 with noise reduction. Work well in a cube with several PCs droning away.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you've never used in canal phones, be careful. I was shocked at how incredibly inconvenient they are. It was bad enough that while I used them at home, if I had to get up from my computer for any reason, I'd just disconnect them and wrap the cord around my neck. I'll just get some low profile noise isolating cans next time.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
If you've never used in canal phones, be careful. I was shocked at how incredibly inconvenient they are. It was bad enough that while I used them at home, if I had to get up from my computer for any reason, I'd just disconnect them and wrap the cord around my neck. I'll just get some low profile noise isolating cans next time.

You know, I tried a set, some Etymotic I think, and just HATED them. COuld not get used to the feeling.

Don Goldstein

Reaction score
I will be using them for jogging and in the gym. I would like the kind that go in the ear (not like the Apple one's).

AdamG

Reaction score

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Well best bang for the buck in-ear canal headphones are probably Ultimate Ears super.fi 3 Studio (available in black, white, and clear.

You can find them around for about $80.

If in-ear isn't the top priority, and sound quality is more important, a $30-50 pair of Sennheiser PX-100's (open back) or AKG K26 P's (sealed can) are hard to beat.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if its for jogging, isolating IEMs (In ear monitors) would not be the best as:

1. if you're running outdoors, you will not hear ANYTHING around you (ie. Cars, Cyclers, Coyotes)

2. running indoors or outdoors, all you'll hear is the "thud thud thud thud" of your footsteps

Don Goldstein

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
if its for jogging, isolating IEMs (In ear monitors) would not be the best as:

1. if you're running outdoors, you will not hear ANYTHING around you (ie. Cars, Cyclers, Coyotes)

2. running indoors or outdoors, all you'll hear is the "thud thud thud thud" of your footsteps

Thank you for the input. What do you recommend? Also, I'm probably going to raise my budget on this.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AdamG
I just got a pair of Sony EX 71's, I'm loving them. I've seen a few complaints around, but most reviews are very positive. I got them for $80 NZ, which is like $50 US.

http://www.sonystyle.co.nz/shop_deta...sku=MDREX71SLW

I use the same, but I think the build quality is crap. Another friend of mine is having similar problems with her's. I still use them because the audio quality is great and they fit very comfortably in my ears. I wear them when walking to class or at the gym because I hear nothing of the outside world. The EX 71's, oddly enough, don't have this problem at all. I have a pair of MDR-EX51's that are almost identical but better built and less flashy. I've switched to using them exclusively for the gym and haven't thought about getting another pair since. The only ***** with them, though, is the ear pieces will disappear on you if you're not careful. They got caught somewhere in a bag and pop right off.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the shure e2c are pretty nice
for about 100 but im sure you can find em a lil cheaper on ebay for about 70
but i like the bang and olufsen ones the best there about 170

AdamG

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
I use the same, but I think the build quality is crap. Another friend of mine is having similar problems with her's.

I still use them because the audio quality is great and they fit very comfortably in my ears. I wear them when walking to class or at the gym because I hear nothing of the outside world. The EX 71's, oddly enough, don't have this problem at all.

I have a pair of MDR-EX51's that are almost identical but better built and less flashy. I've switched to using them exclusively for the gym and haven't thought about getting another pair since. The only ***** with them, though, is the ear pieces will disappear on you if you're not careful. They got caught somewhere in a bag and pop right off.

I've heard complaints about the build, stuff about the cable wearing away. The EX 90's are worth a look too, bit more expensive though.

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend any decent ear phones that aren't in canal ? I don't like headphones when i'm out & about, and I want to be able to hear the bus coming before it hits me, or any announcements on trains. ~ $50 mark.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I already recomended two that aren't in-ear. I think I'm invisible though, and maybe nobody can see me.

:p

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, i meant something along the lines of the earphone on the right :

pa220202md3cu1.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads