• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

need recommendation for NYC lower east side meeting place

AC7

Reaction score
Ok, let's give this a shot; I'm a NYC native but I've been living in Miami for 5 years and I'm a little out of date on the NYC nightlife scene (plus I was always kind of a geek so not like I ever knew the scene that well):

I need a place on the lower east side, from say Tompkins Square/St. Mark's Place area south to E. Houston, to have a bunch of people meet up. Not sure how many people, could be from 5 to 14. I'm looking for a bar that also serves bar food. This will be around 9 o'clock on an upcoming Saturday so ideally it will be busy enough to be fun but not so busy that we can't all find seating.

Clientele would ideally be diverse, can't stand yuppies and hipsters are almost as bad, and definitely don't want too young a crowd.

Ideally the bartenders would be female and hot, but that's not really a necessity I guess, not like I ever work up the nerve to hit on the bartender...

Any suggestions?

mps23

Reaction score
lower east side is full of yup-sters & frat brothers. i'm not sure there is any spot down there that would be lacking in either type of douchebag. i'm not sure what i disliked more: getting mugged past 1st ave & in the LES back in the early 90s, or getting harrassed today every block by some lame hipster for a cigarette.

anyway, you might want to go to freeman's, essex bar, schiller's, but if your party is small enough, clinton st bakery is great, but no bar. i hear shopsin's opened up in the LES, but it's probably not as cool as its old spot in the west village. you could get some scones & teas at moby's teany. there's also inoteca.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AC7
Ok, let's give this a shot; I'm a NYC native but I've been living in Miami for 5 years and I'm a little out of date on the NYC nightlife scene (plus I was always kind of a geek so not like I ever knew the scene that well):

I need a place on the lower east side, from say Tompkins Square/St. Mark's Place area south to E. Houston, to have a bunch of people meet up. Not sure how many people, could be from 5 to 14. I'm looking for a bar that also serves bar food. This will be around 9 o'clock on an upcoming Saturday so ideally it will be busy enough to be fun but not so busy that we can't all find seating.

Clientele would ideally be diverse, can't stand yuppies and hipsters are almost as bad, and definitely don't want too young a crowd.
Ideally the bartenders would be female and hot, but that's not really a necessity I guess, not like I ever work up the nerve to hit on the bartender...

Any suggestions?

You are SOL. Depending on your definitions, everyone fits into one of these catagories....

tbone226

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AC7

Not sure that its possible to avoid people in those categories, but I'd recommend Schillers Liquor Bar
http://www.schillersny.com/

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The OP is not looking for LES suggestions - the boundaries he mentioned define the East Village. To answer the OP question - what you're looking for doesn't exist. Saturdays are busy everywhere, there are "yuppies" and "hipsters" everywhere, there is no place where you'd want to go and where you could find seating for 14 people without reserving a table, and by definition the crowd in the East Village is young.

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bourgouis Pig... 7th street between 1st & Avenue A. It's a wine bar. They have minimal food. It's more of a bring a date place though. Definitely not an ultra young crowd. But it's not the upper east side, so youngish is expected.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
The OP is not looking for LES suggestions - the boundaries he mentioned define the East Village. To answer the OP question - what you're looking for doesn't exist. Saturdays are busy everywhere, there are "yuppies" and "hipsters" everywhere, there is no place where you'd want to go and where you could find seating for 14 people without reserving a table, and by definition the crowd in the East Village is young.

The OP did state 'lower east side', but then gave parameters that indicated he was really interested in the East Village. That being said, the East Village is a neighborhood that only came into being in the '60s (I think). Historically, that area was always part of the LES...

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
The OP did state 'lower east side', but then gave parameters that indicated he was really interested in the East Village. That being said, the East Village is a neighborhood that only came into being in the '60s (I think). Historically, that area was always part of the LES...

I never heard it being referred to as the Lower East Side. Before "East Village" it was generally referred to as "Alphabet City".

In any case, I wanted to redirect suggestions towards the EV since the OP clearly meant that and not the LES (based on the area he defined)

wq1999

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AC7
I need a place on the lower east side, from say Tompkins Square/St. Mark's Place area south to E. Houston, to have a bunch of people meet up.

The area you specified would really be "East Village". LES begins south of E. Houston Street. Welcome back.

samblau

Reaction score
Schillers makes good drinks...but always crowded when I go, usualyl past 10PM. Most places in that area are going to be crowded with B&T and D'Bags. I feel somewhat bad using those terms as I was raised on LI...but damn I can't beleive the attitudes these kids have...and I am only 27.

PEGU club which has been spoken of on this site is fantastic. If you go early or call and see about making a reservation you might do well.

Certain hotel or restaurant bars might be decent if you make a reservation...upstairs at Rivington Hotel maybe, wil be pricey. Aside from that be prepared for a lot of yuppies, kids with too much or their parents money or a lot of credit card debt.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I never heard it being referred to as the Lower East Side. Before "East Village" it was generally referred to as "Alphabet City".

Originally Posted by wq1999
The area you specified would really be "East Village". LES begins south of E. Houston Street. Welcome back.

Alphabet City only includes Avenues A,B,C & D. The East Village extends west to Fourth Avenue. The 'old' Lower East Side's northern boundry was 14th Street, and Broadway to the west....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lower_E...cal_boundaries

But, yes, the OP is looking for an EV locale.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alphabet City only includes Avenues A,B,C & D. The East Village extends west to Fourth Avenue. The 'old' Lower East Side's northern boundry was 14th Street, and Broadway to the west....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lower_E...cal_boundaries

But, yes, the OP is looking for an EV locale.

+1

The area south of 14th and east of Lafayette was always considered the Lower East Side until the Hippie culture of the 1960s, that is when it took on the "East Village" name and vibe. Alphabet City is just a part of the East Village. Do you all know the Alphaber City Safety lecture? I got it when I moved down there in the early 90s:

Remember:

Avenue A is OK

B is Beware

Cis Caution

D is DEATH!!!!

(Nowadays it's all pretty good except for D....)

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How old are you guys exactly? I made a simple comment about the area being EV and not LES and I'm getting reactions about how the neighborhoods were called in the 1960's. That's interesting but I doubt that either the OP or yourselves used to hang out in the LES in the 60's...?

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How old are you guys exactly? I made a simple comment about the area being EV and not LES and I'm getting reactions about how the neighborhoods were called in the 1960's. That's interesting but I doubt that either the OP or yourselves used to hang out in the LES in the 60's...?

Interesting historical note, that's all. Knowledge is power.

BTW, I'm 67....

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW, I'm 67....
Really? I had no idea - thought you were in your forties

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads