• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need recommendation for new dress shoes

bingolittle

Reaction score
Hello Everyone - Can you please recommend a decent pair of dress shoes that are around $300? I need something in black. I am looking to get 2 pairs. I am an accountant and for the next few months I will be working at least 12 hour days, 6-7 days a week. I need recommendations for shoes that would be comfortable to wear for that long on a daily basis and also last me a while. I don't wear suits to work. Just dress shirts and dress pants with an occasional blazer or jacket.

I have tried Allen Edmonds and I did like the shoe but the customer service rep at Nordstrom said that those shoes are probably more for 3-4 hours dinner part or other engagements. Also, the shoes I tried didn't seem to have another support for my over pronation.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stick with AE. Used can be found at $100 or less on the bay.

Or Meermin, but then you would need to take a chance ordering from overseas.

bingolittle

Reaction score
I didn't quite like how the AE felt.. When I walked in them I was over pronating

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Learn to walk and run properly. Barefoot. It cures everything.
2. Certain AE models can support orthopedic inserts. And no, that Nordstrom sales is wrong.
3. There are only inferior options such as Goodyear welted Cole Hann with Nike AIR heels.

Last edited:

bingolittle

Reaction score
Don't be an AE salesman.. If I am paying for a shoe, I want it to fit right. It's not the like the AE are for free that I should go out of my way to make it work. Any other shoe recommendations?

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't be an AE salesman.. If I am paying for a shoe, I want it to fit right. It's not the like the AE are for free that I should go out of my way to make it work. Any other shoe recommendations?

Aren't AE salesmen so annoying in how they try to help you? I suggest you get some Rockports or Ecco's with a big sneaker-like sole and square toe. You could also buy a pair of running shoe and cover them with black shoe polish. That should help with your overpronating and need for 12 hour comfort.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Prepare a realistic budget and visit Wintip @ Embarcadero or Alden/Wilkes/Barney's @ Uninon Square.

At a budget of $300 for dress shoes with try-on opportunities @ SF, you are pretty much limited to AE and maybe C&J @ Barney's on sale for shoes with decent construction.

Or stick with Jeremy's and pray.

Last edited:

zeero3

Reaction score

1. Learn to walk and run properly.  Barefoot.  It cures everything.
2. Certain AE models can support orthopedic inserts.  And no, that Nordstrom sales is wrong.
3. There are only inferior options such as Goodyear welted Cole Hann with Nike AIR heels.

Go to Allen Edmonds store on Sutter, get foot sized, buy Park Avenue or Fifth Avenue in black and Strand in dark brown. Don't wear same shoe 2 days in a row. Buy shoe trees at Nordstrom Rack and always keep them in the shoes when not wearing. /thread

bingolittle

Reaction score
Hilarious. I can't stop laughing. Thanks for that.

Now for the folks that actually know a thing or two instead of trying to tell me if the shoe doesn't fit right I should learn to walk.

zeero3

Reaction score

Now for the folks that actually know a thing or two instead of trying to tell me if the shoe doesn't fit right I should learn to walk.

So you sized your foot (length and width) and tried on the correctly sized shoe and it "didn't fit right?" Or did you go to Nordstrom and try on a shoe that didn't fit and now you think AE entirely doesn't work for your foot? For $300 per shoe, I'd reread what I posted and do just what I posted. You sound a little green when it comes to shoes. People here are actually trying to help you...

SpiffEngineer

Reaction score

The people who have posted here are trying to help you, but the combination of budget and location limits options. In the specified price range, AE, Loake, and Meermin are the SF-approved options (from what I understand). Any other brand will be significantly more expensive, as well as difficult to find on discount in a hurry (for your size/last). AE has the significant advantage of being locally available for fittings, which is why most people are say you should try to go for that option. AE also has a variety of lasts and widths, so if you find the correct one, it should be comfortable to wear all day long, though it is not recommended to use as a replacement for your running shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads