• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

need reccomendations on 'diet'

fortune

Reaction score
as of now my diet isn't the healthiest. actually it's not even healthy. sure i drink water, gatorade, and superfood alot but i drink more coke/energy drinks than i should. i guess i like the flavor. o_O but as far as my eating habits go, I eat out alot. I hate eating at home for some reason but i'm not exactly sure why. Burgers, pizza, ocasional salad or two, or what ever I'm feeling at the time. I want to change my diet because i know full well it's not healthy and i want to cut the fat off my stomach (i'm 5'9 and around 150). i know diet isn't the only part but it's a major part. my basic question is where are some good places that i could go to eat being as i don't eat at home often. i'm 17 and in highschool but i have a 4th period release so i get out at 12 40 every day and instead of having a 30 minute lunch this makes it so i don't have a time on my lunch meaning i can relatively going anywhere. would subs be a good idea? i don't mind cooking when i get home but nothing to intense or time consuming but i have money every day to get food so if i have to pick up a few things then i can do that. any ideas on what are some good foods to eat aside from the commons(vegies and the like)? thanks.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Hi. First off, I am an ACSM certified personal trainer and CSCS conditioning/strength certified. Not that it really has bearing on advise on something simple like diet, but if you want to know about exercise then I can tell you more. That said, I'm very tired of giving people advise on things like this so here's the short of it:

STOP DRINKING SODA
that extra 150 calories a day adds up. 3500 kcal per lb of fat... that can become an extra pound of fat EACH MONTH.

You'll find that once you stop drinking soda, you won't crave it any more. You're in highschool so probably there's no place you can go and eat during your short lunch break. Bring a home-made meal with you, or if you can afford it, buy a salad or something from a fast food place.

Very simple equation for losing weight: Calorie intake < Calorie exenditure = losing weight. The reverse is also true for gaining weight.

p.s. subway isn't that bad, actually. Get tuna or chicken, stay away from the processed (high sodium) deli meats and cheeses.

oakoner

Reaction score
I totally agree with Eason.
but what I dont get is why you want to lose an weight.
you said your 5'9 and around 150... that sounds fairly slim to me.
I know everyone carries weight differently but if you have any problems with the way you feel about yourself you should start being more active.

buy a bike. use it alot.

fortune

Reaction score
i don't want to lose an insane amount of weight, but the bit of gut that is just hanging out on the lower half of my stomach is bothering the hell out of me. pretty thick when i pinch it between my thumb and index finger. but yeah it just bothers the crap out of me.

Ott

Reaction score
you probably have a gut because you have absolutely no muscle mass whatsoever. You've fallen into the "skinny fat" trap.

Start eating more often, and start doing anaerobic exercize (ie lift heavy things).

oakoner

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ott
you probably have a gut because you have absolutely no muscle mass whatsoever. You've fallen into the "skinny fat" trap.

Start eating more often, and start doing anaerobic exercize (ie lift heavy things).

or its a possibilty that you have a distorted body image.
either way a little more activy can't hurt.

fortune

Reaction score
Yeah I do need to eat more. :p just never a big concern of mine. and I have been doing situps for the past year or two but it started out 100 a night and over time slowly decreased to if i was lucky 100 a week. Lol. I just don't feel any need in doing it because it's obviously not doing anything if I'm not doing anything else. Being as I'm only 17, as soon as I find a job my mom's buying my sister and I memberships at ClubSport and one of my best friends needs a lifting partner so yeah I'll start going there.

Goblin

Reaction score
Watch the Gatorade, too. It's very calorie-dense, and unless you're involved in intense training for relatively long periods at a time, you can get by on water.

fortune

Reaction score
yeah being as we don't buy it often at home and i only buy it when i don't want soda/water i don't really have it all that often.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Really, Gatoraide does nothing for you. People who work for them will disagree, but it does nothing for you.

Impulse155

Reaction score
Pretty much like whats been previously posted, watch what you eat. Stay away from the junk food. Drink soda SPARINGLY... at a party once and a while. Dont drink soda at home, often you'll find yourself drinking more then one cup, or can w/e. 5' 9'' 150 lbs, thats not bad whatsoever. Also, unless ur doing cardio dont drink gatorade, even if u do cardio drink water or the clear powerades.

edit: also btw this is general stuff and i didnt read a few of the above posts so it could be repeats.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics