1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Need quick opinions on sweater fit...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bigbadbuff, Dec 14, 2004.

1. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

tracking an Ebay auction that ends tonight and need some help. The size is a Euro L but the seller states the measurements are

chest: 50"
    length: 29"

the seller carries high end items and has been around a long time, I'm sure he measured correctly- that just seems big to me. I unfortunately have no sweaters where I am to compare sizing. Help me determine if it would fit fine please...

5'10"
    210 lbs
    shirt size- 17x35, or L/XL in most
    trousers: 36

It is cashmere if that helps, opinions please?

2. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

It seems slightly big for a large. What's your chest/jacket size?

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Moderator

Seems rather large. What type of sweater is it? If it is a Cardigan, maybe is it meant to be worn oversized. If it is a V-neck, maybe not so much. BTW, a European large is usually roughly a Eu 50, which is a US 40, or US medium. Maybe that is what the seller meant?

4. j

j Senior member

That is normal for a sweater, judging by what I've seen lately. I have a 40" chest, usually a medium, and most sweaters i've seen are about 48" in the mediums. I've gone to a small for sweaters. Granted, these are not slim cut designer sweaters, but for comparison, your 50" L is probably an average large.

5. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

My normal jacket size is 46R. I agree that it's probably too big, but it is stellar... what to do [​IMG]

6. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

If you're a size 46R, that means your jackets have 50" chests. Really, 50" isn't THAT big, but it sure won't be tight.

7. acole

acole Senior member

A 46 jacket, and the sweater has a 50" chest? If it's a fine-gauge for under a blazer etc, it's probably too big. If it's heavier-gauge/cabled/etc, then it might be OK. Depends on the look you want. I believe most of my XLs measure between 49" and 54" in the chest. If it's something unique that you're dying to have, there are reknitting places that will alter sweaters...for a price. Good luck.

8. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

I guess I'm in the minority - I say it'll fit fine.  A physical difference of 4" is not much at all.  Kabbaz says 7" chest allowance is standard in a shirt.  4" seems slim fitting to me.

9. truthhurts

truthhurts Senior member

Way too big if that chest measurement is actual inches on a tape measure.

10. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

to update- I passed on it... I'll wait for the next size down to come along. It was a Malo for a pretty good price (which is not unusual on Ebay, but in a rarely seen color scheme that I loved).