• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need Quality Cobbler for Refurbishing GYW (and Blake stitched) Shoes.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I need several pairs of Goodyear welted (and a Blake stitched) shoes resoled/refurbished. While I typically send my shoes back to the original cordwainer/maker, some of these are by firms that are no longer around and two pairs have a retailer's name but not that of the maker. That said, I'd like the job done right. I'm willing to ship within the United States ... but not internationally. Have you any recommendations for a quality recrafting service here in the United States? I've had these shoes sitting around for many years and am thinking I really need to get them reworked; I'm not getting any younger.

I've tried searching, but keep coming up with Allen Edmonds recrafting.

Last edited:

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't used them myself but B. Nelson Shoes is mentioned often here. @Nick V. is the owner (?) so you can contact him here if you have questions.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thank you, breakaway01. I did another search specifically for "B. Nelson Shoes" and am reading the results now.

Last edited:

porscheguy

Reaction score
It might behoove you to mention where you are located. If you were in the dc area I’d suggest bedo’s leatherworks in fairfax. If in Nashville I’d suggest potter & sons. You can send off to many places, but i generally recommend staying near home if that’s viable.

thereis an Allen Edmonds enthusiast group on Facebook, you can find many recommendations there.

Reactions: RSS

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I send everything down to Willie's Shoe Service in Los Angeles. Back in the day, the shop provided bespoke shoes to various Hollywood productions. Nowadays, the shop owner actually runs two businesses -- there's Willie's Shoe Service, which is a repair shop, and then Don Ville, which makes bespoke shoes still.

Since Raul both repairs and makes shoes, I find that he's very knowledgeable in what he does. Shipping things down and getting things fixed is pretty easy and smooth, in my experience.

There are a bunch of YouTube videos about his biz. Linking one here for fun.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It might behoove you to mention where you are located.
I live in Seattle, LaJolla, & New York. But no matter where it is, I'll likely use the USPS for mailing.

Last edited:

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This looks like a great asset. Very near my tailor too. Do they do indented taps?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thank you, dieworkwear, for the tip.

Last edited:

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@dieworkwear I set up an appointment with them for Saturday to do taps.

They said they have two ways - one for somewhere in the $45 range than he said most people do. The other he said they acrually undo the original threading and then do for like $125.

Do you have any insight into this process or difference between the two?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@dieworkwear I set up an appointment with them for Saturday to do taps.

They said they have two ways - one for somewhere in the $45 range than he said most people do. The other he said they acrually undo the original threading and then do for like $125.

Do you have any insight into this process or difference between the two?

Unfortunately, don't have any insight into this. I have a pair of bespoke shoes from Nicholas Templeman that were delivered with metal taps, but I've never had the process done to RTW shoes. Raul is a pretty straightforward guy though, so I would just ask him for his opinion on the two processes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics