• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need pictures of worn Vass cordovan shoes

nmoraitis

Reaction score
I am trying to decide between getting a cordovan whole cut (Italian Medallion model) or a captoe. Many here have said that once worn the waviness of a cordovan whole cut looks terrible with a suit. Most forumites seem to recommend going with a captoe (or wingtip) for cordovan and I just wanted to see if the whole cut looks as bad as some say.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd like to see a worn shell wholecut, too. Based on how I like the way my plain toe shell shoes now look, I would think that the deep creases would look good on the wholecuts.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I have two worn Vass shell shoes, but no wholecuts.

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Yachtie posted a pic of some worn plain toe Alden whiskey shell monks in the Your Favorite Shell Shoes thread (or some similarly named thread). Not Vass, or technically a wholecut, but still a big expanse of shell that is worn. Also, member Kolecho (again, or something similar) has posted a pic of some Carmina wholecuts. They were new, and I have no idea if they ever got put to use, but you might PM and find out.

Phil Ossiffee

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this will help you. Not exactly what you're looking for, but 4 different, very old (non-Vass), all shell plain toes. I'm really hard on shoes, and I scratch up the cordovan, but it doesn't scuff like calf.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phil Ossiffee
I'm not sure if this will help you. Not exactly what you're looking for, but 4 different, very old (non-Vass), all shell plain toes. I'm really hard on shoes, and I scratch up the cordovan, but it doesn't scuff like calf.
The creases in the shoes in these pics look good to me. I'm still curious to see how the worn wholecut shell looks but I think I'll like it.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phil Ossiffee

Lattanzi & Bemer, nice!

To the op, I think that a cordovan cap toe is going to look more formal than a wholecut once the shoes have some wear.

emptym

Reaction score
This image of various Carmina types includes one (green) wholecut w/ some creases: I can't remember who posted it originally.

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Von Rothbart has a pair of cordovan Vass wholecuts. Maybe he can chime in here with some pics.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have four pairs of shell cordovan shoes (including one of Vass, but not a wholecut) and wouldn't wear any of them with a suit. Shell cordovan is very nice with more casual outfits, but has a slightly too bulky, thick, or heavy (for lack of better descriptors) appearance to look good, in my opinion, with a suit. It's not that the shoe lasts or construction are necessarily bulky and thick, but more that the leather itself looks that way. One other thing: wholecuts stretch much more readily than shoes with stitched seams, and shell cordovan is more prone to stretching (according to the insert I got once with a pair of Aldens) than calf. Thus, I'd give very careful consideration to buying a pair of shell wholecuts, and be particularly vigilant about size.

nmoraitis

Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments and pics so far guys.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads