• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need opinions on fit of Geneva shirts

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by knittieguy
Geneva accepts that risk in not requiring a minimum order, ...

I thought Geneva has a minimum order???

caphill

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kuro
I thought Geneva has a minimum order???

They require a minimum of 3 shirts, which is how many I ordered.

caphill

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
You will not be happy with the jantzen shirt. they got the mesurements right, but the lining inside the collars and cuffs was not up to the standards of the other two shirts.

Oh, yes, I understand that the quality of the Jantzen shirt will likely be less than the Geneva. But, due to my financial situation, I just can't afford more Geneva shirts at the moment. I suspect the Jantzen shirts will be far superior to other things that I could get at the same price point.

ziggyosk

Reaction score
I don't understand, was the shirt in the Picture a Geneva shirt or did someone else make it?

InPa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ziggyosk
I don't understand, was the shirt in the Picture a Geneva shirt or did someone else make it?

It wasn't that confusing....

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If the money is tight, I don't know why you didn't just order from Jantzen in the first place. Those three shirts would have bought you quite a few rounds of improvement on the fit with Jantzen, without the suspect route of having one shirtmaker's work copied by another.

I used Jantzen for a while, and over that time ordered some 30+ shirts. They are all wearing out, or have become either completely or largely unwearable due to excess shrinkage in the sleeves/collars. Combine that with the difficulty of getting exactly the right color/design/type of material, and it makes Jantzen a false bargain in my eyes. It was one thing when I had nothing else to wear, but I don't see myself ordering from them again.

ziggyosk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by InPa
It wasn't that confusing....

So do you want to answer my question or just make sarcastic remarks?

If Geneva did make it, it doesn't seem to fit very well. I was thinking of using them but might not after looking at the fit.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

If Geneva did make it, it doesn't seem to fit very well. I was thinking of using them but might not after looking at the fit.

It sounds like Geneva made the shirt, but his local tailor did the measuring and ordering with Geneva. So any issues with fit are more likely the responsibility of the local shop.

ziggyosk

Reaction score
thank youc
biggrin.gif

caphill

Reaction score

Yes, Geneva made it based on my tailor's measurements. May I ask what about the fit strikes you as off? That was the whole point of the thread and most others seem to think the shirts fit pretty well.

caphill

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
If the money is tight, I don't know why you didn't just order from Jantzen in the first place. Those three shirts would have bought you quite a few rounds of improvement on the fit with Jantzen, without the suspect route of having one shirtmaker's work copied by another.

I used Jantzen for a while, and over that time ordered some 30+ shirts. They are all wearing out, or have become either completely or largely unwearable due to excess shrinkage in the sleeves/collars. Combine that with the difficulty of getting exactly the right color/design/type of material, and it makes Jantzen a false bargain in my eyes. It was one thing when I had nothing else to wear, but I don't see myself ordering from them again.

Well, I probably would not have ordered the shirts from Geneva if I'd known that I would be without a job now. Money was not an issue beforehand. It is now. Life circumstances change, sometimes for the worse.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You really have nothing to apologize for. I'm sure Geneva is grateful that you purchased three shirts from them for $750 and may order more in the future should your finances change.

ziggyosk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by caphill
Yes, Geneva made it based on my tailor's measurements. May I ask what about the fit strikes you as off? That was the whole point of the thread and most others seem to think the shirts fit pretty well.

It's not terrible, I just prefer a more slim-fitting shirt. It seems baggy around the middle(which you explained, you lost 10 Pounds) and the sleeves seem baggy as well.

The rest is fine, Collar, Shoulders, Upper Back. I just don't like the bagginess around the middle and sleeves. If those 2 things changed it would be great.

caphill

Reaction score
Yeah, ziggyosk, that was kind of my feeling too. I was quite pleased with the chest and shoulders, but wanting a more slim fit through the waist. Think I'll ask Jantzen (or Geneva the next go round) to slim up the arms and waist. Really, you shouldn't hesitate to trust Geneva with an order. I think this shirt would have fit damn near perfect 10 lbs ago.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cornellian
So... Why would you take your business elsewhere when your tailor/Geneva did all the work to get the fitting? And don't say it's cheaper. In that case, you should have had Jantzen make the pattern. I'm willing to bet that the profit for your tailor comes with future orders, not a single one.

Kabbaz?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads