Need opinion on shoe (Kenneth Cole)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luxetveritas, May 31, 2012.

1. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

You can wear them with a suit. A tuxedo is stretching it thin.

2. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

3. tben

tben Senior member

The new Styleforum 101 tab has a couple of links of appropriate footwear to wear with a tuxedo. I would check that out.

http://blacktieguide.com/ -This is one.

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  4. facet

facet Senior member

I would agree with this. OP, I would recommend taking a look at the What Are You Wearing and other shoe threads; you can get an idea of what people go for in these parts. If you absolutely cannot go above the $100, then do as best you can and see if you can find anything in your price range that comes somewhat close.

5. mekato1

mekato1 Well-Known Member

6. DC Office Hack

DC Office Hack Senior member

First, about the style:

The general rule is that suits should be worn with something called a balmoral as opposed to a blucher, and if you want it to do double duty with a tux, it had best have a plain or cap toe with little ornamentation. The classic example is this:

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonlin...=Park-Avenue&gclid=COGh7cS_rbACFcSa7Qod6WjCVw

Put a good shine on it (bull it, don't shine it), and you're good to go for a tux.

AEs can be had for significantly less than retail if you go for factor seconds, on sale, or ebay. Also try Charles Tyrwhitt, which has shoes that are almost as good as AE but are more often to be found on sale for around $225.

Folks here will argue that the shoe doesn't have to be a balmoral, but I'd aim for that as a first choice with which to anchor your wardrobe. It's like buying a blue blazer or a suit in a solid navy or charcoal. Those KCs communicate that the wearer doesn't know what he's doing. Decent balmorals will communicate that he does. They are adult shoes.

Here are some other suggestions for non-AE options:

http://putthison.com/post/22590776970/five-footwear-brands-under-250-theres-no-article

Second, about the brand:
    I used to wear KC shoes like the one you asked about because they were the nicest things I could find at DSW, or so I thought. Anyway, I found them to be uncomfortable and clunky. Also, mine had rubber soles, which I found were not the best choice, and they couldn't be resoled. There were also odd smell issues that I've never experienced with any of my other shoes. They reeked after interacting with my sweat too much. Plus, at some point production moved from ITaly to China, and the shoes became noticeably more plasticky. I decided to go "high end" and buy a pair of Allen Edmonds and have never looked back. More comfortable. More durable. More attractive. Can be recrafted. Etc. Etc. Better leather. Better construction. All that matters.

I'd rather see you experiment with used Allen Edmonds than new Kenneth Coles.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  7. DC Office Hack

That's a good option notwithstanding my previous comments about bluchers.

8. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

I have seen a lot of patent leather bluchers in stores and websites. I can't figure out the use for them - patent leather is generally only for use with formalwear, yet a blucher is not as formal as a balmoral. Even the only Allen Edmonds patent leather shoe (the Mayfair) is a blucher. Can anyone recommend a reasonably-priced patent leather balmoral?

9. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

I remember reading somewhere that wearing derbies with a tux is common in Europe...perhaps that's the group these patent bluchers are aimed at.

10. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

It looks that way.

11. luxetveritas

luxetveritas Member

What is the difference between a balmoral and blucher?

12. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

13. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

14. luxetveritas

luxetveritas Member

15. DC Office Hack